DECA, MRV, and "Pushing the Envelope" Test

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by hdtvfan0001, Oct 3, 2009.

1. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Please indulge me to share this information.

Now that DECA is public, MRV is back for round two of testing, and we've had some time to test the DECA cloud itself - I thought I would "push the envelope" today to see what all this new technology and firmware can do.

My setup is contained in my signature link...but a brief summary is that I'm running an "N" class DLink router, and have my DECA units connected to an HR20-700 on one floor of our home, and HR21-200 in my Home Theater (on another floor), and an H21-100 receiver (on a 3rd different floor). I use a single "N" class Wireless adapter for the Internet feed to the entire DECA cloud.

This morning...following my download of the latest CE's last night...I spent 3+ hours testing something for the first time:

1) I brought up SlingBox (SB) on my desktop PC - the SB is connected to my HR21-200 HD DVR.

2) I started up the HR21, and selected the playlist. I chose one of the MPEG4 HD programs that shows up in the list, but is actually recorded on my HR20-700 HD DVR (via MRV) in my Family Room.

3) I then watched that program for 90 minutes, and then 2 others for another hour - 2 1/2 hours in total.

4) I then watched 3 different "You Tube" videos via MediaShare (TVersity-driven) from my desktop PC.

To summarize what was going on -- I was watching this all on my desktop PC, while being connected to my HR21 via a Slingbox, but watching programming located on my HR20 (via MRV). All of these devices are ultimately connected to the same DLink "N" router.

With 3+ hours of total playback...I saw one very brief (1 second) instance of pixellation on just one program.

The entire time - the lights on my DLink router were flickering away vigorously....but I did not lose any ability to watch or hear the audio during the entire testing period.

Even though I have been very involved in CE testing a long time - since the programs inception - to me...these were still quite awesome results.

When thinking about where and how the video / audio was moving around between all of these devices, and being carried over the DECA cloud in tandem via an SWM between devices, as well as back through to my SlingBox and then ultimately to my PC...I have to admit I sat back for a minute thinking about all this, and briefly said to myself - WOW.

If SWM & DECA indeed become staples in DirecTV hardware going forward in 2010, and MRV is also firmly implanted in HD device firmware...this entire viewing experience to watch what you want, where you want, and when you want it will be truly amazing stuff for everyone.

Seeing it in action for several hours this morning reminded me of just how far HDTV viewing in the DirecTV world had come in just 3 years. It also refreshed my memory that the purpose for the entire CE program is to test out all of these kinds of firmware and hardware, so that all DirecTV customers ultimately get to enjoy the rewards of the work of the CE program.

I have always been appreciative of the opportunity to test, document, and work with the CE team and Mods to contribute my small share.

Thanks to DirecTV and the Founder of the CE program (EB), the DBSTalk Moderator team who keeps this all running extremely well, and my fellow CE testers who provide valuable information to advance the viewing experience.

One final WOW. :)

2. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, all great stuff.

I was having a similar experience this morning, smiling ear-to-ear. :)

During the DECA trial, I actually didn't need the DECA's, each box already had hard-wire Ethernet, but used the DECA's for the trial.

Recently, I (finally) upgraded the last TV in the house (Kitchen) from cable to DirecTV. The wife watches one local news channel though cable in the Kitchen. I took the H21-200 from one on the kid's rooms (whose away at college) to the Kitchen. The small TV in the Kitchen didn't have Ethernet access, so I also moved one of the DECA's to the Kitchen.

Last week, I was away, so could only download the CE to the slingbox connected HR2x's, so I missed the return on MRV to the H21-200.

Well, this morning I got to watch Letterman in the Kitchen through MRV during breakfast, and it worked PERFECTLY.

Just great! MRV through the DECA cloud to the Kitchen from the Living Room.

Just loving it!

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Nice, I have been gone all day. I think I'll try the "torture test" tomorrow.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I added another 2 hours of viewing with this same configuration and Slingbox yesterday - only this time - using Slingbox on my laptop (via an Ethernet cable connection to the router).

I had two (2) 1-second "hiccups" watching via MRV the same as before...I also used trickplay a fair amount, and other than taking slightly longer for a response than on my desktop Slingbox connection.

All in all, I continue to say WOW. :)

Even my wife (who generally could care less about anything technical) has commented a number of times "This MRV thing is really nice and handy". There have been 4-5 times now that she wanted to use MRV for the convenience of viewing in different room than where the HD DVR was located. I guess its become an expectation now here.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Figured this was as good a thread as any to make this comment. With the new DECA units installed, my wife and I watched a couple of hours of MRV last night.The server was an HR21-200 and the client was an HR22-100.

There were probably a half dozen or so video/audio glitches. Maybe just slightly less than what we've experienced in the past (using older DECA or hardwired cat5e).

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I spent a couple of hours with my HR21 last night and had some of these "glitches" too, but I was watching the recordings locally. [think these CEs have a bug going on]

7. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I watched 30 minutes of a HR21-200 as the client in DECA and a HR20-700 as the server hooked up to the home network. The show was "Accidently on Purpose" in HD. It was not pleasent at all. It may be better with them in all in one DECA environment or all of them in the Home Network environment.