1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA needed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DisneyDarwin, Dec 4, 2012.

1. DisneyDarwin

DisneyDarwin New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Got a new install yesterday. We swapped out everything, including a dead HR-21 and some older gear, and I now have one HR34, one HR24 and 3 C31's. The installer took one on the extra SAT lines and plugged it into the DECA and connected it to my router and power, that's it. Is the DECA even needed with this setup? I have a router connection at the HR34, couldn't I just plug it in for same net effect?

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    The HR34 can be your network/internet connection for all the devices on the cable as you suspect.
    Just disconnect the DECA and connect the HR34 to your router. Only use one of the connections or you risk stopping the earth on its axis. Make sure and properly terminate the now-unused DECA cable.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Just remember if you're using your HR34 to connect your DECA network to the Internet that connection is lost when the HR34 is rebooted. It comes back once the reboot is finished but I thought I'd throw it out there.

4. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    My experience is that you don't need the DECA network, you can just use Ethernet. BUT, using DECA for WHDVR gives faster response time when accessing remote recordings. If you have a good gigabit network, that might not be the case. But my network is mostly 100Mbit, not Gigabit.