DECA Survived...but not much else

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by 69hokie, Jun 27, 2009.

1. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    The aftermath of last night's thunderstorms reaked havoc on almost everything in the house, but DECA is still working. Smoked two ground faults (i.e. they don't work at all any more), lost network connection ability on my main computer (using wife's computer to post this) and I suspect the network card is the problem since all receivers and the wife's computer can still access the home network and internet and my computer says "partial connectivity" but cannot recognize my network, lost HDMI on HR20-700 receiver(not connected via DECA) but works on component, lost 99 odd & even, lost 103 odd and even, lost 119 odd (even is OK), lost AC to home alarm system (all power avail, so probably smoked the dc power transformer), and lost the PI to one of my SWM's (the non DECA SWM) even with it powered from a UPS w/surge protector. For an old power guy, mother nature showed me what real power is. I suspect a near hit came in on the ground system and backdoored some things. Anyway...DECA seems to have survived just fine and is still working. Any ideas about the mix of signals I now don't have would be appreciated. I already bypassed the ground blocks at the entry points from the dish to the house to check and no change. ....and disconnecting DECA from my home network had no effect on my main desktop's ability to see the network (didn't think it would, but its in the same room so I was trying anything last night).:(

2. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Did both SWM systems lose everything? If so it seems like a good chance the LNB is fried. What's weird is that 99/101 share lines, one for odd and one for even, and 103/110/119 share the other two. If it was a cabling issue I would expect all on one line to be down. So the fact that you have 119 even, but not 103 even means an LNB. Both 103 and 119 odd, however, could be a cable as well. Then again on 99 odd and even they are sharing with 101 on the cable between the LNB and your SWMs, so if you still have 101 it probably isn't a cable there.

3. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    I kind of suspect the LNB too. Both SWM's did not go down, only the "non DECA" SWM that lost its PI, but all receivers have lost the same sats when I finished rearranging everything to take the SWM that has the failed power supply out of the loop. The sat signal losses were the same on all receivers before and after I finished bypassing the non working SWM. Since the power light internal to the PI is out on that SWM, I figure the PI is fried for sure and will replace it. What really bugged me was losing my office computer network connectivity while all else stayed up and running....weird. But then, juice on the ground system will do weird things...what I need to do now is go drive that 911 to chill out:lol: