1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA vers CAT5/6

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by David Carmichael, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 92
    David Carmichael

David Carmichael Legend

Mar 11, 2007
    There are many messages in many different areas so trying to find an answer to my question is kind of hard so here it is sweet and short.

If you have a working CAT5/6 network is there really any advantage to move to DECA/COXAL setup other than to meet DirecTV's "Supported Hardware"??
    :confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One reason that I am looking at spending the $$$ is connected media players, game systems and computers to the current network, this would move the DirecTV equipment to its own "sub"-network... But these units have to have access to Interent through my home network for VOD downloads.

The one reason I have not already done this is I have a HR-20 currently connected and I keep reading connection troubles for receivers that are not already SWIM ready and do not want to loose the Over The Air HD programing from "CW" and "MyTV" networks which currently are only in "SD" From DirecTV in my market area.

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 92
    jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I've got a CAT5 setup. Works flawlessly, so I've had no need to go to DECA. Because DECA converts at each end of the coax to ethernet anyway, I don't see the advangage, other than installation ease.

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 92
    mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    It also moves the MRV traffic off of your home network...may not be a big deal, but if you want to free up the bandwidth on your home network then DECA is the only way to go.

By the way, HR20's are SWM compatible, and work just fine with DECA...just ask my HR20...it's connected via DECA and works just fine. It has been connected to SWM for a couple years now...

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 92
    dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I don't see any reason to change unless your current setup doesn't meet your needs. I have an Ethernet setup also and it works great. I am looking forward to whatever software enhancements DirecTV has planned to improve the usability of MRV. Managing lost playlists from multiple machines is a little tedious but I will take it. MRV changes how one uses the system in their home.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 92
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    As mobandit says the biggest thing, right now, is that it moves traffic off your home network freeing up bandwidth for browsing the Internet on your PC, etc.

However there may be future features that only work via DECA.

6. Aug 1, 2010 #6 of 92
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you have a router/setup that is already working with Ethernet, it's fine to keep that. The issue is that some routers just don't work right and can't be trusted to deliver packets effectively. Anyone that is going to spend money to get the networking setup should really use DIRECTV's equipment though as it has the advantage of being supported, less expensive (in "new everything" situations) and runs at the right data and throughput rates.

7. Aug 1, 2010 #7 of 92
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This argument is bogus in the presence of switched Ethernet.

A functional Ethernet switch will isolate Internet and other computer oriented traffic from MRV traffic.

As Doug Brott points out, many routers do not qualify as functional Ethernet switches.

8. Aug 1, 2010 #8 of 92
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    David, since you are looking to make changes in your setup, I'd go ahead and get DECA and SWiM. It isn't that expensive and it will make your whole house DVR work flawlessly.

I'm hoping to hold out until fall of 2011. That's when my contract is up and I'd like to negotiate for as much free stuff as I can, including DECA and SWiM. But if for some reason I need to take my DirecTV equipment off my Ethernet setup before then, I will. For now, everything works well. If that was to change, or if I even suspected it would change, I'd make the upgrade in an instant.

9. Aug 1, 2010 #9 of 92
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Probably not if you have a working infrastructure in place. The DECA would add more stems and pieces to transmit the same traffic from the same Ethernet ports via the coax instead of your network (unless you have all *24 series receivers).

BUT SWM may give you a better signal and is less prone to weather disruptions. In my case it also cleaned up my images by reducing a haloing effect I got on some HD broadcast material.

Adding an AM21 to an HR21 or newer DVR will solve the off air issue if the HR20 has issues which it shouldn't. I'm running 3 of them on SWM currently and had 4 going at one point.

Ethernet is a bit more scalable with respect to numbers of tuners and overall infrastructure sizing. It's also SWM/non SWIM agnostic but it creates a point of demarcation for support issues you may find frustrating.

Plus there is the FUD regarding that it may be obsoleted going forward but until D* can age out all the receivers dependent on the Ethernet card for the MRV interface it should work just fine.

I have SWM but I run MRV on Ethernet due to the sizing of my infrastructure.

Don "to drink the Kool Aid or to snort it from the pack? that is the question" Bolton

10. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Why is that?

11. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Auto gain adjustment. It's less prone to rain fade.

Not so good compensating for flocks of birds though :grin:

My biggest signal weirdness is from the flocks of birds that use my roof as a dining loft between runs from the cherry orchards :eek2:

Don "Bbbbb Bird, bird, bird, bird is the word" Bolton

12. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    Not correct.

Routers operate BETWEEN logical networks which do not share a common network address.

DirecTV MRV traffic moves WITHIN a single logical network and does not require routing.

Using DECA instead of switch isolated Ethernet for MRV does not move any traffic off your home network.

D*oD download traffic must pass through the modem and router whether DECA or Ethernet is used.

Not knocking DECA (I use it), just trying to straighten out some misconceptions.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
  14. Barry in Conyers

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
  15. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    Re:
    I dont know what has been said before, but the blanket statment that this doesnt help your home network isnt true. MRv over Ethernet hits my home switch, over deca it does not. The switch should isolate the traffic and not affect other ports, but switches have a finite amount of memory for packet buffering. So it can impact other ports and you are better off keeping the point to point traffic on the coax using deca. On demand of course goes through the house fabric.

16. David Carmichael

David Carmichael Legend

Mar 11, 2007

And that it part of the problem.. even with all the "talk" I wish somebody with the proper test equipment could run real time tests on the two hardware / wiring set ups and really show ''Graphed'' difference if any between the two set ups.

As here is my Cat5/6 set up:
    High Speed Modem {Service is rated at 30Mbps} -> "No name [Office Depot]" 10/100 5 port router/hub/WiFi B+G {East Side OF House WiFi Coverage}->
    (1)---> Living room "NetGear" 5 port Router ->
    (L1) HD-DVD A20 (L2) Panasonic BluRay (L3) HR20 (L3) HR22
    (2)---> Wife's Craft Room / Office: "Linksys 5 Port Router/WiFi B+G" {West Side of House WiFi Coverage}->
    (W1) Sony BluRay (W2) Networked Printer (W3) Wife's Laptop (W4) ''Future'' HD DirecTV Receiver
    (3)---> My Office / Library: "Dynex" 10/100 5 port switch -->
    (O1) Computer #1 (O2) Computer #2 (O3) Insignia BluRay (O4) HR21-> RJ45--> HD-DVD A2
    (4)---> Bedroom: "D-Link" 10/100 5 Port Switch ->
    (B1) H21 (B2) Insignia BluRay (B3) N/A (B4) N/A

WiFi is used for: Nintendo Wii, iPod, eBook, & NetBook, coverage.

I have done the only stress test I could think of... all computer like devices were set to download software or eBooks, All HDDVR's were set to download VOD programing and record programing from both tuners.. then I had three of the four DirecTV devices cross sharing programing HR20 to HR21 to HR22 to H21 and computer using TVersity to HR20 iTunes HD TV Show....

All shared with no or very little pause/delay.... the only real stutter was when I tried to fast-forward

The only trouble I have had with my current setup to date is after a power outage and rights management to share recorded programing... it was then that DirecTV kind of tried to give me a hard time about support... till I could convince them it was not hardware issue.. but a software issue that they are still looking into.... It was due to this support issue that has made me even think of changing to the 'DECA / CLOUD' setup.

:David

17. Barry in Conyers

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    dsm,

If you are referring to my post, I did NOT make a blanket statement that DECA doesn't help your home network.

I stated "Using DECA instead of switch isolated Ethernet forMRV does not move any traffic off your home network."

The attached sketch may help you understand my statement.

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is an impossible task and touches on EXACTLY why DIRECTV wants folks to use DECA. As long as the installer doesn't mess something up, DECA should be the same from customer to customer to customer. There is consistency here, while it theoretically should be possible for each person to exhibit the same "specs" from a DECA installation, there is NO WAY for customers to exhibit the same results from Ethernet installs.

For example, I don't have a NetGear/Linksys router setup you show for yours. So there is no way for my Ethernet results to be the same as your Ethernet results. The simple solution, to be honest is .. If it's already working with Ethernet and you're happy .. keep it, there is not much reason to change. If you are unhappy with the current results or you don't have Ethernet set up yet, get DECA.

19. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Huh? Because they didn't want to help you with an unsupported setup you wouldn't go with a supported one? Don't you think you would have had an easier time of convincing them it was a software issue if you were using a supported setup?

And as for scientific data to back up the worthiness of an unsupported setup, spend your own time and money to get it. I plan to get my DECA/SWiM setup for free. Personally, I wouldn't spend 2ยข on the answer to this question.

20. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Despite the fact that I am currently using ethernet and not DECA for MRV, I think it is quite flexible of DirecTV to allow the service to work without using their intended hardware setup. I won't be upset if in the future I am forced to move to DECA. Frankly, I think we are all a bit spoiled.