DBSTalk Forum banner

DECA w/ 2 SWMs

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  The Merg 
#1 ·
I currently have 4 DVRs and 3 regular receivers. I have these devices connected into two SWMs - 3 into one and 4 into the other via a 4-to-1 splitter hanging off each SWM.

I recently had MRV installed. As part of the installation the installer moved the system to DECA. He connected a device into one of the open ports on one of my splitters that connects the system to my internal ethernet network.

Here is the problem, that took me a few days to stumble on. Basically, the network on a SWM is unable to extend to the other SWM. To be specific, the three receivers on one of the splitters can talk to each other but to the other receivers hanging off the other SWM. Furthermore, the receivers that are on the same SWM as the device that connects the DECA system to the ethernet, are able to get a proper internal IP address and connect out to the internet, but the ones that are on the other SWM are not getting a proper IP address and cannot connect to the internet.

So what I have here is two side-by-side networks created. One is able to get to the internet with proper internal IP addressing, and the other network is not able to.

Any ideas? Is DECA supposed to be able to work over multiple SWMs or would I need another "ethernet injector" (sorry - not sure of the proper term here) for each SWM?

Thanks,

David

See less See more
#4 ·
You don't list your model numbers, and I know everyone is gonna scream 'Don't use the Second port!) but until they get there, if you have a 21/22/23 with the second port, plug your network into the second port. (be sure it's on the non-networked group or move the DECA /network to the other group - or move the DVR to the other splitter).

There also may be some MRV performance issues depending on the grouping and number of streams until it's fixed but I often ran 2 streams with the second port with no problem before DECA.

#5 ·
BattleZone said:
The installer was supposed to replace your 2 SWM8's with a SWM16, which contains a DECA bridge. There is not a supported configuration with 2 SWM8's.
When I call to schedule my MRV install next week I will remind the CSR that because I have 5 HR2* boxes that the installer will need to use a SWiM16. If the installer insists (wrongly) that 2 SWiM8's will work just fine is there an official DirecTV doc I can refer him to so I don't have to argue with him?

#6 ·
fl_dba said:
When I call to schedule my MRV install next week I will remind the CSR that because I have 5 HR2* boxes that the installer will need to use a SWiM16. If the installer insists (wrongly) that 2 SWiM8's will work just fine is there an official DirecTV doc I can refer him to so I don't have to argue with him?
"IF" he is a trained DirecTV installer, he has access to the document. Anything over eight tuners requires a SWiM-16.
If he doesn't know this, then he hasn't been trained/certified for the connected home networking.

#11 ·
bobnielsen said:
I agree and didn't mean to imply that it was authorized, just technically possible (but a really dumb idea).
veryoldschool said:
Hey, those are mine. ;)
IOW, get off his lawn! :lol:

- Merg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.