Deer, what to do about them?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Deer...I know they're beautiful animals and I do enjoy watching them in my yard, but a State Trooper was killed by one a couple of weeks ago and I see them laying in the roads on a pretty consistent basis. What really disturbs me is that I see deer corpses a lot on I-287, a highway where going 70 is the usual speed. Imagine hitting one at that speed.

They're everywhere...and they panic easily. I was on my way to the library yesterday and saw a doe on a soccer field heading toward the road I was aiming at. I slowed down, the deer waited at the edge of the road and I waved it across (I know that sounds a bit unbelievable, but I've been stopping and waving them across roads for some time now). They look right at me as if to see what I'm gonna do. This one on the soccer field waited until I had stopped and waved at him then got in the middle of the street and panicked. It finally found whatever spot it was looking for and disappeared in the brush.

There might be some predation going on around here, I know we have a couple packs of coyotes wandering along the river, but I think of them as scavengers and I'm not sure they could pull down a full grown deer.

So, there are too many deer and not enough predators. Always a recipe for trouble. And the herds keep getting bigger and bigger.

In short, they create hazardous driving conditions and nobody seems to be doing anything about it. Anybody have any suggestions? It's even worse in the western areas of the state.

Rich

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We hunt in Indiana and Michigan. In areas where the herds get too thick there are additional culls that occur (which are not very popular amongst animal lovers).

Population management is the key.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    In Cincinnati, we've had periods where a local park was closed for select bow hunters to thin the herd. Not just anyone could do it. I think it's helped some, but still an issue.

I'm not a hunter myself, but even as an animal lover, I know that overpopulation is not good for the deer. I'd rather see fewer healthier deer, along with the rest of the food chain not taking a hit due to overpopulation, such as plant life etc.

5. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    I have hit 2 deer and my wife has hit one, living in oklahoma with lots of deer I imagine I will hit more. Luckily we were never going 70, more like 45. Still they do a good bit of damage. Deer hunting is real big down here to help keep numbers down and for the sport of it I suppose. My buddy Bruce loves to bow hunt, but after all his bow supplies, tree stand, camo, tags, fuel, time etc, etc. he says that deer is some expensive meat, but he really does it for the sport.

My mother in law purchased some of those Deer horns(whistles) for me to put on my vehicle after hitting the first deer many years ago, I went ahead and put them on but shortly after hit another one :). Luckily its been a long time since I have hit one now. Also hitting a Deer uses the comprehensive insurance coverage and not the collision coverage, kinda like hail damage.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't hunt here in populated areas. Can't even shoot a gun in my town.

Rich

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The problem is human over population and too many of us moving into formerly wild areas.

They don't need us to manage them. We need to manage us.

If a population needs to be culled, well, let's start at the proper place. Reduce the human birthrate and stop trying to live to 200 years.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've seen them on cars in the boonies, where the richest people live. And have the largest properties. The real problem seems to be that deer are fringe feeders and we keep creating fringes. I just checked out that link, think I'll buy three of them, just in case. Thanx.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you get a chance take a look at Johnson Park in Piscataway, NJ. It runs along the Raritan River and the deer there are plentiful. I could see that park getting closed and bow hunters being given free range to kill them, but there are homes so close to the park and arrows do get misdirected. One miss, a kid gets hit with the arrow and that puts a stop to the bow hunting.

Rich

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Are you volunteering to be first ?
    Most of us eat beef in one form or another and that comes from killing cows routinely. There should be hunters allowed to keep the population of the deer down to what can be safely tolerated and maintain their health.
    These deer could be processed and donated to people that are on th epoverty level.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Friend of mine had a deer hit his car just down River Road from our house. The deer's head was in the car with him. Almost totaled the car. I wonder if my insurance works the same way as yours.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree. The deer seem to know it's safe for them here in town and we keep building, so that creates more fringes and that creates more deer. And the people keep pouring into town.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree, but how do you do that in an overpopulated area? Take a look at Piscataway on Google Earth and you'll see what I mean. To top it off, we also have a goose problem that isn't going away. That park I mentioned is beautiful and pretty wild but the geese have ruined it. Nice little pond where people used to fish in the park, but the geese have polluted it.

Rich

14. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    Ya all insurances are the same, striking an animal in your vehicle is always comprehensive.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Feel lucky they aren't Moose

1 person likes this.
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yet one more thing that I didn't know. Thanx. At least I won't be shocked by that if I get a deer hit.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Used to live near a farm that had sheep and pigs, big sows. Long time ago, huge cars abounded, one sow kept getting loose and finally got hit by a car. Both the sow and the car were totaled. I saw the aftermath shortly after the incident. Car was in worse shape than the sow, but both were dead. I did walk into a pretty shaded part of the forest near Mt. Katahdin in central Maine and was confronted by a moose. Never want to go thru that experience again.

We are also getting more than usual reports about bears in the area. Another cheery thought. Used to work in northern NJ around Dover and I saw one on the highway. And another one near Aunt Kate's, a bar that stayed open until 5 in the morning. Seems like a regular thing around there. It's near Picatinny Arsenal.

Rich

18. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
  19. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Any deer get in front of my car I just run 'em over!

Of course that didn't work out too well last time Bambi waited by the side of the road then committed deer suicide by jumping out in front of me at the last possible second so my foot never even got off of the gas much less on the brake. Had to get a new front bumper cover and fog lights. Not sure if Bambi was hurt or not. I went on home the mile or two that I was away from the house, picked up the bike and went back to check but nothing there. He either ran off or someone had roadkill for dinner.

20. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I thought I read about some places in NJ that allow hunting in the subdivisions, but it has to be bow only and opens up a tons of interesting situations. The downside is that very few bow shots are going to drop the deer right where it stands. So even if you shot one with a bow, you're probably going to upset a few neighbors as the deer runs a hundred yards through their property and bleeds all over everything along the way. Then you have the second issue of little Johnny or Susie coming out and seeing a a dead deer in their yard. Plus, you can imagine the looks from the neighbors as you haul that deer back to your yard and gut it in the driveway.