1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting Recordings?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by zinger1457, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jan 8, 2018 #1 of 24
    zinger1457

zinger1457 Mentor

Sep 24, 2006
    New DirecTV customer, switched over from Dish, have a HR54/500 receiver. With my DISH Hopper when I finished watching a DVR recording I had the option of keeping or deleting the recording. I don't receive any option to delete a recording on my Genie when I finish watching it, the only way I can see to delete a recording is directly from List. Am I missing something or is this normal for the Genie?

2. Jan 8, 2018 #2 of 24
    fjames

fjames Mentor

Nov 24, 2010
    The way it works for me is if I hit stop, it returns to wherever I came from (info or list) and if I let it run to completion, it gives the option to delete. On the current gui (not the new one being rolled out) if it returns to the list, the recording should be highlighted, so you just delete it. If the recording was in a folder, sometimes it highlights the whole folder, so take care there.

And, you can probably just ignore this post, because I just remembered I use the old remote, not the stupid genie remote, and that changes things. Since you're new to dtv, spend the 3 bucks and get a RC65X or RC65RX from Amazon - many like it better than the genie one. You won't have rf capability, but you'll gain some functionality.

Steveknj likes this.
  3. Jan 8, 2018 #3 of 24
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    or-I suggest if you want to delete a program while viewing it-after it completes FF to the end and you will get this Question- Do you wish to Delete YES or Keep - That's how to do it Directv land . Welcome!

jimmie57 likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2018 #4 of 24
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Recordings have a little lag time after the program has ended and the recording actually stops. If you allow the recording to stop by itself you will see the message giving you the option to Keep or Delete the recording. If you stop the recording when the program has ended but before the lag time has completed you will not see the message.

5. Jan 9, 2018 #5 of 24
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nice to know I am not alone. I wouldn't call it stupid, I think "goofy" fits. I use the "old" remotes too.

Rich

Steveknj and crodrules like this.
  6. Jan 9, 2018 #6 of 24
    fjames

fjames Mentor

Nov 24, 2010
    If I wanted to go on a rant directed at anything directv, it would be that genie remote. My OCD kicks in whenever I think about it, dissecting down to a granular level all that's wrong with it, from basic assumptions to conception to execution.

But yeah, it's pretty goofy :p

7. Jan 9, 2018 #7 of 24
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    "Goofy" is such a wonderful word...I guess they were trying to mimic the very good Peanut remotes of the TiVos, I liked them.

Rich

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Most people dont gain anything with that remote because they know what buttons people use and saw not enough used the stop button or the separate play and pause buttons to warrant having them on the new remote. I for one have never been a user of the stop button. I think ffwd to the end is easier anyway... But everyone is different. I much prefer the newer remotes...

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hardly surprising...how can you like that thing??? I get the whole YMMV thing but...

Rich

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    When the RC7s came out I initially didn't like them. But the more I used them the more they grew on me. Now they're all I use.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I bought the illuminated model last year and spent the whole NFL season trying to get used to it. I gave up and haven't picked it up since last year's SB. I tried, you are one of the reasons I tried, you and Inky and some others. They are more responsive than the RC66s, but that's it, that's the only good thing I saw...I tried to love that thing...

Rich

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    They're not for everybody but like I said, they grew on me. I have 5 of them (RC71, RC71B, RC71L, RC72 and RC73).

13. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hit the back button (left arrow by the select button) followed by the red button.

Edited to correct right to left. Note to self: finish coffee before posting anything.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  14. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm with you...but that's the trend in the industry....less is more. Even my TV and DVD/BD player remotes have gotten smaller with less functionality. Heck, half the players have eliminated the open/close button on remotes. With that said, I'm with you, I like the more intuitive older white remotes, but, with the new GUI, most of the functionality on the old remotes that worked so well in the past are gone. I loved using the colored buttons and up until the new GUI they still worked. The fact that my Harmony which is my primary remote anyway (using the 700) mimicked the buttons on the old remote so perfectly makes what they've done even worse.

With that said...for a new customer, none of that matters really, they should just learn the current way of doing things. I work for a software company and we've just radically changed the design of our core product. New customers don't seem to have any issues (as it's really more intuitive than the old one, which had stuff thrown in over the years) but older customers....they complain about this or that because they are not used to it. I wish this was the case with the new GUI on D* but it just seems to me, the older user, as something that I needed a much bigger learning curve than it should have been. But I get the "set in my ways" aspect. It just bugs me when "basic" functionality been jettisoned, and only those rare folks who "always did it the new way" such as not using the stop button like it. Why not leave the functionality in there?

I compare it in a way to Windows 10. Sure it's a new GUI, but they left a lot of the OLD functionality there for us dedicated users, even though there may be newer (and perhaps) better ways of doing things. Remember the uproar when the Start Menu disappeared in Windows 8? I haven't used the Start Menu in years, but, lots of folks do.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I have so many devices now that I rarely even use any DirecTV remotes. You can take my Harmony out of my cold dead hands. The Harmony 650/700 models perfectly mimicked my old D* remote including the colored buttons, the FF and skip buttons and so forth.

boukengreen likes this.
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can't help but wonder if the peanut remotes are cheaper to build...money seems to drive everything today, rationality and craftsmanship be damned.

Rich

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Yet they made the separate Play vs Pause button important when they put the progress bar on the screen when the Skip/Slip button is pressed. With a separate Play button, I can press it to get rid of the progress bar immediately. With the new remote, that functionality doesn't exist.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Yep, that was one of the features I couldn't get past using the new remote. I do that frequently. If you've ever watched one of Chuck Lorrie's series, he has a vanity card at the end, which could be rather long. So the bar would get in the way.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I thought...gotta check...took me a few minutes to remember how to use the peanut. I haven't used it since last year's NFL season. I knew I was able to instantly get rid of the PB, you just have to hit the Exit button while the PB is on the screen. But that's on my 44 and the old GUI, has that function been eliminated on the new GUI?

Rich

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Its still the same Rich.