1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demise of the 'White Pages'

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "The number of traditional land lines has been declining
    . for the better part of the decade, and now are being
    . disconnected at a rate of nearly 10 percent each year."

AP via Mercury.com
    More @ MercuryNews.com

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Works for me. Just got another one today.

It will sit in the stack of the the other ones until the phonebook recycling program rolls around again.

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I used to advertise in ten editions of metropolitan Yellow Pages. You know, the kind that muscle guys used to rip in half in demonstrations. I liked using them for jack stands when I serviced my truck.

Has anyone noticed that the popular search engines rarely find people's phone numbers when you enter them into a search phrase window? I am sure the desired results are filtered because the search engine company also directs you to pay services to get that information.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We've had a combined white and yellow pages from both my phone company's area and the neighboring county ... so two phone books a year delivered to under my mailbox and hopefully found before the neighborhood dogs water them.

Getting the neighboring county's phone book makes me think that it will continue to be delivered. They didn't have to deliver it before so it must have been a good economic decision. Of course, economics are subject to change.

5. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I'm surprised they have held out this long. For years I have been tossing them in the recycling as soon as they are delivered.

6. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    2008 was the last year AT&T, successor to the ILEC in my region, delivered printed copies of the residential white pages in my area. Since 2009, they've delivered a printed yellow pages/business pages, and include a residential white pages CD in the plastic bag.

The CD sleeve has a number to call to request a printed copy of the residential white pages. You have to call each year to request the annual printed copy, if you want one.

7. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    I can believe it. I finally got with the times and ported my landline number to a cell phone last week. I got to keep the number for the occasional person that doesn't have the cell number and I saving $40 a month. I guess landlines will be around for businesses for a while but, individuals seem to be better off economically going straight cellular.

8. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    It may be less economical, but as long as I live in an area where hurricanes are likely I will retain a land line. After Ike the land line was the only thing that worked.

9. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    The phone books go straight to the trash can around here.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I wouldn't mind that. At least you could still do local lookups from the same database. Web based searches aren't always that accurate.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Just got our new one.

Bear in mind we are a rural county with only a few very small towns. Total population is under 15,000. The books are subdivided into sections for each region of the county based on the serving TelCo.

I pulled an old 2007 copy of the same book from the same TelCo for the same areas. That one has 49 pages for one area, 48 pages for another and 12 pages for the third.

The new one I got today has 24, 38 and 10 pages respectively.

12. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    [YOUTUBE]kOTDn2A7hcY[/YOUTUBE]

13. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    The end of a era. I remember having to use a phone book or two (white pages/ yellow pages) as a booster seat at my grandparents. Made use of one for granddaughter this past weekend.