Description Video Service (DVS) programs

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gcotterl, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    How can I find programs that are broadcast with Description Video Service (DVS)? In the Guide, do these programs have a special "DBS" symbol?

2. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Unfortunately I doesn't appear so.

http://www.acb.org/adp/tv.html#shows Has a good list of shows that have DVS

And looks like on my 622 that some channels require it be set to Spanish while other channels require it be set to alternate.

( watching Hulk on TBS (139) right now had to set to Spanish)
    ( USA movie requires Spanish)
    But Fox was on alternate

3. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
  4. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    The DISH chat-agent says DISH doesn't have a receiver that lets the subscriber listen to DVS narrations (either in Alternate or Spanish)

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    That DISH chat-agent has no idea what they are talking about. As long as the program has one available and the channel is carrying it on their SAP feed, you can access the DVS narration. Even Dish's older receivers that were retired last year could access the SAP feeds.

The Disability Act now makes it mandatory for all providers to pass along the SAP feeds for channels that have descriptive audio. As mentioned a few posts above it varies on how the channel labels their SAP feed, sometimes it's listed as Spanish, sometimes it's listed as Alternate.

6. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    And what sucks about that is that right after Hulk in DVS. Friends comes on and language is Spanish :(

7. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The MTS spec only allowed for one mono audio SAP feed, so they have to share Spanish and DVS on the SAP feed. While analog has the SAP feed embedded in the MTS stereo signal, for digital each SAP feed needs an additional 192kbps audio stream to be passed along, which can quickly add up, so they limit it to one. (Providers can't really recompress the audio to something lower since inaudible tones used for things like Nielsen boxes must be passed along)

8. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I was really referring to the number of steps it takes to switch SAP on my dish receiver.

On my sisters Comcast remote it's a single button to switch between. So she can turn off Spanish if that's what's playing and turn back on for DVS (AD) when available.

9. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    and I can confirm on my 622 the Local Indianapolis channels use the "alternate" setting , while the Standard channels use the "Spanish" setting.
    And the locals swap out the Spanish language or DVS (AD) for a computer voice reading of active weather alerts.
    So if a show is using Spanish and DVS and weather alert . weather then Spanish wins out as only one audio channel and DCS is out of luck.

So not too easy to remember the step and use them to change for visually impaired person. My sister would have a very hard time. I guess It's good she has Comcast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.