1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagnostic Code: 42-509. Need Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by oudabashian, Jun 24, 2010.

1. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    I just installed and activated my HR24-500 HD DVR. However, I am receiving a Diagnostic Code: 42-509. As a result, I am getting a "Searching for Signal" on all my HD Channels. This is not an installation issue, since my other 3 receivers are fine, and when I replace the HR24-500 with another one of my receivers, it works. Thus it is something to do with the receiver, but I can not figure it out. I tried to Reset; Resend programming info; nothing works. Any advice :confused:

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    repeat satellite setup, and choose the correct dish/switch type

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Odds are you have it set for the wrong dish type. Make sure it's set to the same one as your other receivers.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Is it a SWM setup? If not, got BBCs?

5. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    I selected Slimline 5 like my other receivers. I tried both SWM and Multiswitch. I even tried Slimline 3. Nothing seems to work.

6. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Is it SWM (one wire) or not?

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What kind of dish and lnb do you have?

Did your old dvr there have one or two cables connected to it? If two, did you retain the BBC's between the coax and the new HR24? If you only had receivers there, and not a DVR, and you do NOT have a SWM, make sure you are using the port labeled (SWM) on the HR24 if you only have one cable (and set the HR24 to Single Tuner) in satellite setup. Slimline5/Multiswitch.

If your old receivers are H23's, you will need to buy a BBC or two for the HR24.

8. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    I have a 5 lnb Slimline with 4 RG6 going directly to 4 seperate receivers. Only 1 tuner is being used on my HD DVRs. Excuse my ignorance, but what are BBC's?

9. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    [​IMG]

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The device that translates the KA signal from the HD satellites to KU band so your receiver can tune them. You will need to upgrade your system to SWM (replace the LNB) or buy BBC's and install a second coax for the HR24, and install a multiswitch for the 5th coax.

11. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    The HR24 is newer model that did not come with a BBC. My HR23-700 works fine without the BBC. Why is the HR24 any different?

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    H(R)-23 has wide band tuners, so do not need the conversion.
    H(R)-20,21,22,and 24 DO need BBC's.

The reason the did not use wideband tuners in the HR24, is because the HR24 is designed for SWM installations, which do not require a BBC.

13. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    By SWM installation, do we mean using only one Tuner on the HD DVR? If so, that is what I am doing. All my cables are plugged into the Sat 1 in. Sat 2 (Tuner 2) is not being used. Do I still need a BBC for my HR24 under those curcumstances? Not only does it not come with one, but the DirecTV tech had told me no when we were discussing this over the phone today.

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You need to replace the current LNB on your Slimline Dish with this:
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...In-Multiswitch-(SL5SWM)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

Then use ONE of the 4 lines currently coming into the house, and where they enter the house, cut them, hook the one connected to the dish to the input on a 4 way splitter, and hook all 4 cables going to the receivers to the 4 way splitter. Install a power inserter for the SWM at the receiver going to the passthru port on the splitter. Then all will work, and you will have MRV to boot.

If you only want to use ONE tuner on your new DVR, then just call DirecTv and have them send you a BBC.

A third option is to hook all 4 incoming coax connectors from your dish to a SWM8 multiswitch, then running one cable to each receiver. This will also allow you to use MRV, and both tuners on each DVR with only one cable.

15. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    You are THE MAN! I just hooked up one of my old BBCs on the HR24 and it worked! I would have never thought of this because my HR23 which is slightly older, worked without the BBC. Who knew? Thanks a million!

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Glad you had one. Id still look into upgrading your system so you can use both tuners and all the new features coming down the pike. SWM is the way.

17. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    I will. This will old me down in the meantime. Can't thank you enough! Take care

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    To answer your question...

Regular LNB - 4 separate LNBs in one box. 4 wires out, each one independent. Can use all 4 with a multiswitch to expand to additional tuners. Requires TWO cables to each DVR, one for each tuner.

SWM - Single Wire Multiswitch, provides 8 or 16 independent channels requiring only ONE cable to each DVR. Can use splitters (like cable TV). Come in several variations,
    SWMLNB3 - 3 Satellite LNB (Handles up to 8 tuners)
    SWMLNB5 - 5 Satellite LNB (Handles up to 8 tuners)
    SWM8 - (uses all 4 lines from older LNB and converts it to single wire. Handles up to 8 tuners
    SWM16-(uses all 4 lines from older LNB and converts it to single wire. Handles up to 16 tuners.

SWM supports Multiroom Video, and future enhancements, and provides additional gain for long cable runs, and to aleviate rain fade somewhat.

19. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    Thanks for the clarification. I will upgrade my installation soon. At this point, I am waiting for the DirecTV HD TIVO to come out towards the end of the year. I will use that as an excuse to upgrade my install as well. Thanks again for all your help.

20. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Hate to be the bearer of reality, but there has been no indication that the DirecTV TIVO is ever going to come out. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch....