Did 0x14D5 Remove HDCP?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by btreinders, May 1, 2021 at 8:34 AM.

1. btreinders

btreinders New Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Before 0x14D5 I was in the middle of troubleshooting why I could not play the music channels through my Denon receiver on Zone 2 without the TV on Zone 2 being turned on. I would get the your TV does not support this resolution error on the main TV so I purchased a splitter to see if that would trick it based on another forum. Today after the latest update for my HR54 and without installing the splitter yet I can play the music channels without the error and even play every other channel I tried without the error. Is it possible they removed HDCP in 0x14D5?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    No -they didn't remove HDCP --perhaps the software plugin's were corrupted --when 0x145D was pushed to your receiver that resolved that corrupted problem --or you could have fixed your early load by doing a search on CLEARMYBOX --it's was that easy

compnurd likes this.
  3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is possible that the HDCP handshake no longer requires a combined audio + video response, but I doubt it.

It seems more likely that this is a guide issue where the music channels are improperly flagged. There have been a spate of guide issues recently.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    HDCP have nothing to do with video/audio streams itself, there are special DRM flags controlling the protection's levels

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The requirement for copy protection is something that can be enforced on a program by program or channel by channel basis. It is possible that a change in the EPG has opened the channels. It is also possible that there is some error in the new firmware.

6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I can definitely confirm that HDCP sensitivity has indeed been at least altered (if not removed).

I've got one more piece of equipment that would verify the actual presence of any HDCP (which I will try within the next few hours).

So far not just channels, but also recordings made before the update seem to have been affected.

7. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I'd say the answer to that is a resounding "Yes."

It seems that HDCP actually has been removed from the genies (HR44 here, & OP's HR54).

(Since I don't have client-minis, I can't say whether they would still have their HDCP or not.)

HDCP is still present on one other receiver I've checked so far.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Ah ... so the winner is "a big bug". :)

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Could you please tell what mfg and a model of it ?

10. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    HD PVR 60 (its software and a working PC).

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 4:43 PM
  11. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    The other HDCP-related "bug" in the HR44 (historically speaking) that I've mentioned in another thread was the fact that HDCP would be "stripped" from the HDMI signal while playing a recording through the HR44 from either of two HR2x in the MRV system.

Since that time, I've not bothered to check to see if that particular bug was still there (and now it would seem moot point).

12. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Also- whether related to anything or not, my HR24’s took update 0xd49 last Wednesday. I just can’t find any info on it or what was updated, or what features I like were taken away this time.

13. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    None -no features just regular upgrade to keep pace with genies software upgrades

14. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    HR2xs here got the update the other week.

Nothing new I'm aware of, except if you happen to be there with your TV on and wait for the update to finish downloading/verifying, the first two DirecTV splash screens on that very first restart displayed a different logo. Just that one time and reverted back to the "Deathstar" ones afterwards. (See post) :

AT&T Again Exploring a Deal For DirecTV—Update—Sale Pending

Haven't checked HDCP on those, yet. Only on an H25 that hasn't been updated since January.

15. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Thanks. My update occurred at 2:43am that day. I was snoring at the time so I couldn’t notice the change. :)

16. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Now I have to at least partially take that back.

The bug where the HR2x takes the active tuner to make a new recording has re-appeared.

Until this update, haven't had that old problem for many months, at least, and it's been nice.

These things had been very stable (no funny business with audio drop or unwanted screensavers popping up - old longtime problems - again) until now.

(I'd almost forgotten how annoying this was.)

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 11:07 PM
  17. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I didn’t see a CE test on that new software for the 2x’s, so I guess anything is possible. Ugggh...

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They haven’t done a CE on the HR2x in quite a while. Years….. The software is basically in maintenance mode

WestDC likes this.
  19. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    FWIW:

That H25 got its update. There's still HDCP on it, even when playing recordings from the genie.

20. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    At least one of the HR2x seems to have straightened itself out from the tuner-stealing bug. (Could've been a recent restart that set off that problem)