1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did D* change their Dolby Digital signal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Maruuk, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I've been using my HR-24 500 with DD for years, no problems with my old Sherwood receiver.

Now I have a new HR-24 200 and when I switched on the DD internally (and the Sherwood's red light came on correctly indicating DD) suddenly the volume even at "1" exploded and practically blew out my speakers. And this is true of all shows outputting DD.

Did D* upgrade/modify the DD signal at some point rendering an old legacy DD decoder useless? Or did Dolby Labs change the formula for some reason rendering old legacy decoders obsolete?

Do I simply need to buy a new updated receiver to deal with some new mystery undocumented DD encoding?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Try changing the Sound Effects level on the HR24-200.

3. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    The sound effects volume has no effect whatever on the volume or sound of actual programming. It only affects the volume of sound effects that occur during navigation.

4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I had the opposite problem a few months ago. The DD signal went silent. I had to reboot to get it to come back on.

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Good point, I'll reboot and see if that fixes the DD freakout problem. If it doesn't, I guess I'll just assume I have a buggy HR-24 200 which can't output useable DD.

BTW, since I have such an old receiver which was made when DD first came in, is DD/5.1 still the standard broadcast top dog now on D* DVRs? I know Blu-ray has gone with True HD and 7.1 and such, but is DD still the best D* DVR home theater format?

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Yes, Dolby Digital is embeddded in the HD standard. True HD and its cousins have much less compression than Dolby Digital and sound better because of that, but that lack of compression makes them unsuitable for broadcast uses, where bandwidth becomes a major concern. It isn't as much a factor with a Blu-ray disc.

7. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Thanks, Carl! Amazing that it has remained a consistent standard for so many years. But it does sound really good and it doesn't leave me wanting at all. I do notice the difference now stuck down in Dolby Pro Logic II land, there's a distinct lack of crispness and definition in the top end. DD has that fantastic presence and sparkle which adds a sense of dimension.

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Noticed there's this new thing called Dolby Digital Plus (the newer receivers all have it). Has D* gone to that standard all of a sudden? Could that be what's freaking out my old Sherwood since it can only handle standard DD?

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    My guess is a bad DVR. I have all sorts of old amps, as well as new ones, and Dolby Digital works ok on all of them with my DVR's.

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I'm afraid you're right, it went blooey the moment I turned on the DD signal from the new DVR. The old one worked perfectly.

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    No. Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD are just newer lossy codecs that can have more channels than regular old Dolby Digital and DTS. They were used in the early days of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, but now days pretty much go unused. I suppose some day they may be used for TV but not for a while. They are not part of the ATSC spec so OTA won't be using them until ATSC gets replaced by something newer if that ever happens. I suppose cable channels could start using them if they wanted, but don't see that happening for a while. Maybe some day when we start seeing them going to 4K resolution or something like that. Or possibly some streaming providers might start using them I guess (like VUDU or Netflix).

Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-Master Audio are lossless codecs that take up much more room, and I doubt we will ever see them broadcast, not sure we'll ever see them streamed either unless gigabit internet starts becoming widespread.

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Ah, thanks Beer, that clears up a lot! I was wondering about those middle formats since the better receivers have them. The good news is DD sounds great with a good system.

13. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Problem solved, new receiver! DD is back and better than ever. The old one must have got zapped by one of the recent power outages and it buggered the digital portion of the hardware.

14. calidelphia

calidelphia Godfather

Feb 17, 2007
    Vudu already uses it.

As well as the PS3 and XBox360 for Netflix

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Ha, guess I was right then, I didn't realize they were using Dolby Digital Plus, but it doesn't really suprise me.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Of course thats streaming services only, no broadcast television uses it...

17. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    So they allow for 7.1? Man, most folks are put upon enough just setting up the 6 speakers for 5.1, never mind 7.1! I remember back when I got my first A/V receiver working off a VCR the surrounds were mono. Was that Dolby Pro Logic I? Can't remember.

18. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I still use a Kenwood prologic receiver which I've had for many years. The surrounds are mono. I have Cerwin Vegas with a 12", 4", and a tweeter, for my fronts and a jbl center speaker, and two surround speakers. My audio receiver is still in very good condition so I can't justify getting another one, especially one that can handle my cerwin's since they are 4 ohms. I do have a 12 band stand alone equalizer on my audio.

19. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    My first rig used JBL Model 100's as my fronts fed by my Yamaha, and I blew off the center as irrelevant. When I finally broke down years later and got a nice RCA-twin 5" center speaker on sale at Radio Shack, OMG what a revelation! Never went back, the center channel is God! Still use the RCA, great sound, crystal clarity.

Had an old 50-watt Yamaha 8" sub--cost me an arm and a leg back in '91. Finally died so I replaced with a 100-watt Sony 10" for only $99. Wow, another huge leap forward. Deep, round subs and clean with very even dynamics. My old Yamaha would tend to rumble and roar at certain freqs. The Sony sounds like a theater system, world of difference. And the 100 watts isn't about volume, it's about the amp not getting stressed by transients. They just punch right out with clarity like they're supposed to now.