1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

did fox get turned off on cable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bjlc, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 1, 2010 #1 of 14
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    so wasn't today the day? did fox get turned off on time warner?

2. Jan 1, 2010 #2 of 14
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #3 of 14
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    And they continued negotiating after the 3 hr extension mention in that LA times article. Still negotiating at 9:30 am this morning [Link].

4. Jan 1, 2010 #4 of 14
    leprechaunshawn

leprechaunshawn Mentor

Dec 9, 2009
    I think TWC really backed themselves into a corner on this with their "Roll Over or Get Tough" campaign. Their customers voted to get tough so now TWC has to hold their ground against Fox otherwise they look like they dont give a crap what their customers voted for.

5. Jan 1, 2010 #5 of 14
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    TWC probably won't pay a high price for Fox. As I mentioned in another thread, the "Roll Over or Get Tough" campaign is simply a maketing perception ploy. As they drop channels, they make you feel like it was the subscribers decision to stay tough, rather then pay the higher price. So subscribers have no reason to complain about losing the channel, since that's what you voted for.

6. Jan 1, 2010 #6 of 14
    leprechaunshawn

leprechaunshawn Mentor

Dec 9, 2009
    That's exactly what it is, a marketing gimmick!! Either way, they are going to raise their rates.

7. Jan 1, 2010 #7 of 14
    matrixj3

matrixj3 AllStar

Jul 12, 2009
    thats one of the reasons i dropped Time blunder . along with having to wait 20 min just to get to customer service. when they dropped HDNET i droped them! Everytime they drop chanels they will loose customers just like me.

8. Jan 1, 2010 #8 of 14
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    looks like FX, Speed, and Fuel are part of the mix on Time Warner and Brighthouse.

Cablevision is having issues with HGTV and Food Network

Sinclair and Mediacomm are going at it again for locals. That seems to be a yearly thing with them and every year the locals get cut off and then they get turned back on a few weeks later. I don't miss not having Mediacomm.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=449659&GT1=28103

9. Jan 1, 2010 #9 of 14
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    You're right, they will lose customers like you, but I'd imagine more DirecTV customers took note of Vs. disappearance from their channel lineup (I couldn't care less) than TWC customers noticed HDN/HDNM removed from their programming. I kicked TWC to the curb 10 years ago, and while I would have had an issue with HDN's disappearance if I were still their sub, the fact that I'm not allows me to see the logic of not negotiating for what amounts to a special interest channel. UFC fans are like NHL fans, devoted, but not that vast in numbers.

When I went HD four years ago, the HDNets were a big draw, partly because they stood out among a limited quantity of channels. I still record stuff on there, but not with the same frequency. The legacy HD channels are starting to fall by the wayside for me, first to make that jump UHD. I'll give a nod to HDNet Movies though. I'll bet a lot of folks do the HD Extra Pack just for that channel. Well worth $5/mo. extra.

As an NFL fan who plans on watching the BCS games, I would have an issue with FOX getting pulled. I think that's why TWC wasn't as disinterested in FOX as they were about HDN. And yes, the "Get Tough/Roll Over" campaign was a farce.

10. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    What happens in the TimeWarner/Fox negotiations will likely affect the entire industry and eventually Directv and it's customers. The networks and local broadcast companies are looking to get significantly more from cable and sat companies for local channels.

From press reports, it sounds like cable and sat companies are paying around 25 cents a month per subscriber for each local. Fox wants $1. And whatever Fox gets ABC, CBS and NBC will demand when their contracts expired. Eventually, your locals could end up costing two or three times what we're paying now. $10/month for locals isn't out of the question if the broadcasters get their way.

So, even if you don't like Time Warner Cable, if you want to keep your Directv bill down, you'll keep your fingers crossed that they win this battle.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Maybe DirecTV will go back to their old pricing model which lets subs choose whether to get locals via satellite. Then we could disconnect locals and pay $50 one-time for an OTA AM-21 tuner and have the last laugh!!

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.