1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I just waste $500?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jaguar325, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I could use some help here since I am still inside the return window on 2 very expensive Gefen HDMI splitters ($250/ea.). My wife and I have "his-and-hers" DVRs that we share amongst two TVs via HDMI splitters. I had some relatively inexpensive splitters that worked great for video but kept losing the appropriate EDID information and reverted to PCM audio. I did some research and found a Gefen model that I received yesterday. After about 24 hours, my A/V system is still putting out Dolby Digital so I am hopeful they will solve the problem (will stress test over the weekend).

As I was signing onto DBSTALK this morning to thank some people who helped me with some networking questions, I saw a post about D* pumping out the beta on MRV. In my situation, the only reason I have the HDMI splitters is to have, in effect, home-grown MRV - being able to access either DVR from either TV. I call it home-grown because this solution would certainly not qualify as "poor man's" MRV! Anyway, I checked the DVRs and one of them (HR20) has the beta. My HR22 does not yet have it and shows the last SW update as Nov-09. I went ahead and set the HR20 up for MRV but don't have any other receivers in the house who have the new SW and a network connection. The two boxes I want to share (highest priority) are right together and are both hooked to the internet.

Is there a way I can force an update to get the MRV beta on my HR22?

Did I just waste $500 bringing in two Gefen HDMI splitters that will be irrelevant when MRV is up and running? Since I can't use it yet, I don't know whether navigation/speed/quality are on par with the option of sharing via splitters.

Thanks,

Big K

2. dbsdave

dbsdave Godfather

May 1, 2007
    Well I don't know what other components you might want to use with the splitters, but I have tried a lot of cheaper models in the past, and always ended up having problems with some component. Since I bought a gefen, it has worked with everything I've tried with it, so eventually you may be glad you got them.

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you can return them pretty much free and clear, you may want to at least "try" MRV and see if it works for you. Not sure how long you have left to return the devices, but there's a chance (slim perhaps) that the HR22-100 will get the download overnight. I think most likely it will be Mon or Tue next week, though.

If the window is too small, you may want to consider sending them back so that you can try out MRV first ** AND ** find out how much MRV is going to cost (post beta) before you make your final decision. You still may decide to re-purchase the devices, but at least you have an option that way.

4. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I forgot about an HR20 in our basement, checked it and it had the SW so I ran a LAN cable to it and hooked it up. Setup couldn't be any easier. From the other HR20, I was seeing all the programming and playback seemed the same. I was skeptical about the remote commands being speedy but they seemed "normal".

So far, it's looking very promising!!!

The only complaint (slight) that I have from the 10mins I played around with it was that all the programming gets slammed together in one list with no designation of what DVR it's on. Any chance I might have missed a folder option or two? All I could find was filtering between the main HR20 or it plus all other available programming in one long list.

Thanks,

Big K

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    There are no folder options at this time (it is a request that has been made though).

However, you can set a name for each of your DVRs and that name should show up in each shows description telling you which DVR it is on (if the discription doesn't show a name it is on the local DVR).

6. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Did you name the receivers? If you did the name of the DVR it was recorded on will be the first word in the info that shows when you highlight it. If there is no name there it was recorded on the local DVR.

7. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I will check those suggestions tonight - thanks for the quick response.

-Big K

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I can't speak for you, but I am getting ready to put my Neothings Borrega 8X4 component matrix switch on ebay. It was $1200 new and I feel like I no longer need it with MRV.

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island

Why is that a negative for you? At this point, where I have duplicate programming across DVR's, I tend to think of is as a positive. I do like the fact that the detail of the individual programs tells you which DVR a program is on, as I would tend to delete duplicates from the two bedroom DVR's over the family room DVR, which has an external hard drive. But, once I clean up the Series Managers, so that I don't have duplicate programming across DVR's (which is no longer needed with MRV), I don't think that I'll care what DVR a given program or series is on.

Is there something that I'm not thinking of that would make me want to care?

10. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I have been using this HDMI splitter from monoprice for about a year now. One cable out of the splitter is 55 feet long and the TV picture is perfect.
    I run a seperate optical cable from my HR21-700s to my A/V system.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=5418&seq=1&format=2

I tried MRV, but I prefer using the HDMI splitter because with MRV I get audio and video breakups and trick play is too slow.

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It will get a lot better. You might not see it for a couple months but it WILL get better.

I tried that splliter many moons ago but when I would switch back to DirecTV the picture would be all pink. I'd have to switch INPUTS a couple times to get it to come up. I guess it depends on the HDMI compatibility of your set. I'm using a 50" NEC plasma almost 4 years old.

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Funny you mention that particular HDMI splitter, because I have been waiting for it to come off BO. I used their HDMI to cat5/6 wall plates over a 70' cat 5e run and it works well. My problem is that I had to use the D* component connection for the TV at the source, since the D* HDMI output is being used for the remote TV.

13. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    So far, this Gefen splitter is working great:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5723

It supports 1080p and doesn't lose Dolby Digital. My only issue has to do with the cost of 2 of those boxes in order to maintain separate his-and-hers DVRs with access from both TVs.

Re: the post asking why I thought there was a need for folders - I'd like to have MRV and have a "his" folder and a "hers" so I don't have to page through General Hospital, Project Runway, etc. in order to get to my higher-end entertainment such as Trailer Park Boys (and the wife feels likewise about mine).

I haven't tested MRV enough to see any problems with video or audio, I did record an HD movie off HBO and watch a small portion of it on another without problems. I wonder how much of this is going to come down to Ethernet connection quality/speed. Anyway, I bought 1000 ft of Cat6 to eliminate the possibility. One thing I haven't tested yet is whether it will keep Dolby Digital locked in (important to me). If the service is unreliable, it would be a good reason for me to keep the Gefen splitters.

Thanks guys,

Big K

14. mfryd

mfryd Mentor

Jan 1, 2010

If you're the only TV watcher, then one big list can be a good thing.

When there are multiple people in the house, with very different tastes, it's nice to organize them by VCR.

My 8 year old has his shows on his bedroom DVR. My wife and I have our shows on our Bedroom DVR. The nanny has very different tastes.

When we want to watch something in the living room, it's convenient to be able to narrow the list down to a only the shows from a particular remote DVR.

One big list, or organized by DVR? Which is best depends on what your household is like.

15. 2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    Big K:

Like you, I haven't gotten all my receivers upgraded yet. From what I have read here MRV is not perfect yet. You get some hiccups even with hardwired ethernet. But at least you know it isn't the network, unlike people with wireless networks. This is a beta test and may cycle through a couple of updates before release as production. Even then some tweaking would be expected over time.

Some regarding your HDMI switches, your call. Depends on how tolerent you are of living with upgrade/fix/tweek cycles for the next months. You know what the HDMI switches can do, so you can always reorder them if this MRV thing doesn't work out (which I don't think is likely).

16. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Good point. Being that I live alone, I never considered that. Thanks.

17. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    If you press the yellow button you can set it so that it only shows shows recorded on the local DVR.