Did Sirius radios move to XM Sats?

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Herdfan, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    The reason I ask this is because in my old GM Truck, I had XM and I knew there were spots along side mountains where the signal would fade out. On my wife's Sirius equipped vehicle we never lost signal in the same places. Figured it was because of the original Sirius Sats weird Figure 8 orbits vs. the Geostationary XM Sats.

Now in my Sirius equipped Ford Truck I am losing signal in the same places I lost it in my XM truck.

Did they move all programming to the XM Geo Sats?

2. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    I would like to know also. I have a Sirius equipped Dodge and all of a sudden I am losing service all over the place now. For example, I never used to lose service in downtown Des Moines, IA, now I am always losing it. I would like to know what is going on also.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sirius orbits aren't a figure 8, the ground track is a figure 8 (caused by the earth spinning 'under' the satellite).

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sirius uses 2.3200 to 2.3325 GHz, XM uses 2.3325 to 2.3450 GHz. Unless one has a combination radio that picks up both Sirius and XM the Sirius radio would not be receiving XM satellite transmissions.

There may be some weather related issues or a satellite issue. I noticed a few signal drops on Sunday when out for a drive but they were in areas where my Sirius radio may not have had LOS to a satellite. The normal areas where I get interference do not seem to be worse than usual and I can still listen inside my garage on my car radio.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    As I recall Sirius has ground repeaters and it's possible some of them are down in your area? Just a thought...

6. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I am getting the same thing in Michigan. Odd.

7. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Nothing is weather related.

We have no repeaters where I live.

Here are a couple of examples. At my local McDonald's when I pulled around to the pay window I would lose signal in my XM vehicle, but never my Sirius vehicle. Now I lose it in my Sirius as well.

Coming into Charleston, WV on I-64 there is a mountain on the south side of the Interstate. I always lost XM signal there as the Sats (XM 2 & 3) are SW of this location and thereby blocked.

It seems the newest Sirius Sats are in GEO in similar locations to the XM birds. So if the original Sirius SATs are now offline and all programming is on the new ones, then that explains the issue.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Nothing ever? I understand that if you're not driving in a severe thunderstorm or under heavy cloud cover one does not expect interference with satellite reception. But heat inversions and other anomalies are part of weather.

9. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Ok, to my knowledge it is not weather related as it is a very repeatable issue. Always at the same places that never had an issue before.

As a side note, I have never lost Sirius/XM signal in a heavy rain like you can with DirecTV.

10. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    Sirius now uses two satellites over the equator. Instead of overhead, they are to the south.

11. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    And as a result, reception is the same as XM.