Did we get a sneak peek?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - AM21 Discussion (private)' started by Button Pusher, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Button Pusher

Button Pusher Icon DBSTalk Club

Jan 19, 2007
    The...
    On the CE (0x1F0) we saw OTA subchannels show up in the guide for just a little bit.Is this a peek into the software build we will need for the AM21?

Here is a link to LameLefty's post about it:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1400600&postcount=4

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    That was my first thought, truth be told. Of course, that was before this little test group was setup, if I recall correctly, so I was kind of confused about why HR21 s/w would EVER show sub-channels. :grin:

Actually, the first thing that caught my eye was an apparent-HD entry from my local PBS - I got really excited there for a minute! Then I saw all those "dash channels" and just got confused.

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Actualy from day one the HR21s had OTA setup greyed out..

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Not really.

Just guide data, and people catching the guide before it processed all the guide data vs channels you had access to

5. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    I noticed this as well. What was even more strange was that I was even getting guide data for LP digital stations. Is this something we can expect to see as well.

pf

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Hence my confusion. :p

7. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    When I saw the those sub channels it showed channels all the way from Melbourne. (roughly about 125 miles from me) I never recieved those with my antenna, I can get Orlando for the most part (i never found WB). Do you think it will be possible to get thier chanels (Melbourne) also?

8. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    It has been said that the AM21 will not scan for channels, so, while the tuners may be capable of receiving them, I doubt you will be able to "tell" the AM to look for them or pull them in.

9. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Just a reminder...

What was discussed and was part of other field trials... are not to be discussed out side the specific trials.

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If the AM-21 operates like the HR-20, you will be able to put in the zip code for a secondary market and if they are in the database they will show up on the list. Whether you can actually receive them is a different matter, of course. The DMAs around here are big enough that very few people can get them all, much less an adjoining DMA unless you live near the border (plus we have big hills and mountains, which you don't have in Florida, and they get in the way).

I don't know if it is still happening, but there were a number of interesting channels showing up in the guide after a reboot and going away soon after (not all could be viewed, however).

11. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    It's not happening any longer. I just noticed the call tag and said wow that is far away from me. We do have alot of flat land here in Fla. so I guess we'll see soon if it's possible. My hr20's have no OTA access, mainly because I put the 21 in the main area.