1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you get your Back To the Future trilogy?

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Chris Blount, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    To those interested, have you picked up the BTTF trilogy today on DVD? I just got mine but haven't watched it yet. There are tons of extras on each disc so it looks to be a good deal for around $40.

2. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I got mine for $24 :D

I thought it was supposed to be in a kinda unique 3-disc blue alpha case, but mine came in a black 3-disc alpha inside a cool slipcase.

I'm not complaining though - they made the right decision in changing it. The blue case looked kinda :p

3. Jasonbp

Jasonbp Godfather

Jun 17, 2002
    Where'd you get it for $24? I get it at that price, but not $40.

4. AkShark

AkShark Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    Got mine today at Sam's Club... $35.28

5. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Pre-ordered from CDNOW this past summer. The order also included LOTR Extended Edition & Ken Burns' THE CIVIL WAR. The total order was ~$120, less than the MSRP for the CIVIL WAR set alone. BTTF was the end of it.

CDNOW became part of the evil Amazon empire a couple of weeks ago, dammit. I will miss them :(

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I ordered my BTTF from amazon.ca - in the same order, I got Babylon-5, 1st season. Given that B5 was costing $80 here in the US everywhere I looked, my total, after the exchange rate and a $10(CDN) promotional code was $79 for the B5 & BTTF boxes. Granted I have to wait for shipping across the border.. But I still have a few DVDs on my shelf I haven't watched so I'm in no rush.

7. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I have watched all 3 of the BTTF DVD's along with the extras. Excellent package. The PQ on the first 2 are great but BTTF 3 looks astounding! Great job Universal!

Be sure to check out the FAQ on the third disc. In answers many questions about what the directors were thinking in regards to time travel. Very illuminating.

8. AkShark

AkShark Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    Chris, Dude! Three movies in one day......me thinks you need a job!! LOL

9. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Thedigitalbits is reporting the movies 2 and 3 are misframed and that Universal will be providing replacement disc for those who want them.

http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Guess it wouldn't be the holiday season without a problem on a major studio DVD release. Universal's Back to the Future Trilogy DVD set contains all three films on disc, as you know. But what you may not know is that the widescreen versions of Back to the Future 2 & 3 on the set are mis-framed (badly or not depending on who you ask). But word is Universal is going to be addressing the issue in the new year with replacement discs for those who want them. The corrected discs will be available in late February - call (888) 703-0010 for all the details.

I'm not even going to comment on the fact that Universal is knowingly selling mis-produced discs to make its holiday sales numbers, hoping that most of you will never notice the problem. The studio has decided, in its wisdom, to stop providing review copies of its new titles to many (if not all) review publications. So if you're wondering why there are so few reviews of the set online and in print, it's 'cause Universal apparently wants it that way. For our part here at The Digital Bits, we will no longer be reviewing ANY Universal DVD product until they change this policy.

Anyway, if you're a fan of Back to the Future, and you haven't picked up the set yet, buyer beware. Stay tuned...

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Interesting. I couldn't tell off hand but I will go back and take a look.

11. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Chris - there's a huge thread about it at dvdtalk that has screenshots comparing the WS laserdisc release and the new dvd release.

12. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Thanks for the info Mark.

Universal has admitted that the matting is screwed up but to tell you the truth, I never noticed and it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the films. While watching them, visual composition seems okay.

I think some people are being over zelous about this whole situation. I say buy the discs now, enjoy them and simply get the replacement discs when they become available. Cancelling pre-orders and boycotting Universal is getting way to extreme.

13. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Agreed! I'm hoping to pick the box set up this weekend.