Difference Between Hard And Soft Reset?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Trainerman, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1 of 18
    Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I have seen many on here talking about doing hard and soft resets on their boxes. Can anyone tell me the difference?

Thanks for your time.

2. Oct 7, 2008 #2 of 18
    jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Hard Reset: Push Red Button located next to the Access Card (also can be pulling the power).

Soft Reset: Menu --- Setup --- System Setup --- Reset --- Reset Receiver

3. Oct 7, 2008 #3 of 18
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Each man should know a difference between soft and hard type. :D

Actually, soft reset going thru menu and select "Reset' or "Reboot", but hard one - press power button for 10 sec or unplug power cord for a minute. Red button is semi-soft or semi-hard type.

4. Oct 7, 2008 #4 of 18
    Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    So when should each be used and not used?

5. Oct 7, 2008 #5 of 18
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Use Soft, if it not available - use Hard.

6. Oct 7, 2008 #6 of 18
    Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    With a "Soft Reset", I am offered three options: "reset receiver", "reset defaults", and "reset everything". Is there documentation anywhere that tells me/us what does or does not get reset with each option? I'm concerned that "reset everything" will (possibly) delete saved recordings. I assume that it will wipe out all stored recording requests, may mess up "On Demand", etc.

Some help will be appreciated.

Stan

7. Oct 7, 2008 #7 of 18
    NotOneofYou

NotOneofYou Cool Member

Sep 30, 2008
    A soft reset is like a restart computer on a PC. Reset Defaults sets it all back to factory settings as far as preferances go but it does NOT delete any recordings. Reset everything and it will think it just left the factory & you will have to tell it what dishes you might have & everything else again.

To cover a previous question. A soft reset is a general reset to let a recv get it's head together so to speak. Use it first if it is available thru menus or the reset button. A true hard reset is to unplug a recv while the power button is on. Leave it off for 60 sec. Then power up. This is to clear stuck memory or to let the access card clear it's mind if you are getting chan not purchased or some other authorization error.

8. Oct 7, 2008 #8 of 18
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    "Reset receiver" is what you normally want so that it will not lose anything you want to keep or format the hard drive.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #9 of 18
    RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    The options do what they say. Reset receiver will do just that. It will turn the receiver off then restart it so you receive new guide data. You should not lose anything with a reset receiver. Reset defaults does that additional step. It resets the default conditions you would have with just starting up. It would require you to go through initial setup, and you would lose any scheduled recordings including series recordings. It would not wipe your hard drive, so you should still have previous recordings. Reset everything does exactly that. It reformats the hard drive in addition to the other steps, so you will have no data on your hard drive.

SMK

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    A Hard Reset frees up memory by freeing up temporary storage no longer needed so the Processor can function faster and more efficiently.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If this is a concern, then both type of reset are the same - will clean memory and start from beginning. But CPU will not run faster in any case.

12. bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    I have an HR-15 in a motorhome that works like my HR-20 in a condo. It gets a hard reset frequently. The reason is that, when driving, I think the hard disk is better protected from road vibration with the power completely off. Everything works fine when I park and turn it all back on. All settings and recordings remain unchanged.

I also do a lot of soft resets. I don't know why, but frequently only one tuner connects when I turn on the system after parking. It may be part of the process of the KVH automatic dish seeking a satelite. Once locked on, a soft reset will get both tuners working.

Resets don't hurt anything unless you do it in the middle of a recording.

13. William Hecox

William Hecox New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Both hard and soft resets are not the same. I recommended hard reset in most cases.
    A hard reset cleaes memory. I do not believe a soft reset does not.
    I could not get DIRECTV Subtitles to work. I tried a soft reset and still had the same problem. I then did a hard reset(red button) and DIRECTV Subtitles started working.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I recently had a problem with Norton Internet Securities not loading an update.
    I called them and they told me to shutdown the computer and start it back up.
    I told her that I had done a restart several times.

I said, "OK, I will do a restart". The lady that was helping me said "NO, that is different and will not work".
    I did a Shutdown, waited until the count of 15 and then pressed the start button to turn the computer on. After it loaded and I signed in the software immediately installed.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    any reset clears memory/RAM
    I hope your background include some EE knowledge...
    Just for fulness of the aspects - there is some difference like clearing internal registers

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Or at least it should ... If that is what was coded into the program. That is where a harder reset can help. If there is a bug where soft isn't doing what it should hard can do more.

For a completely software driven reset one would need to know the code to know the difference. Hardware resets (powering down) resets anything that does not survive a power loss.

17. William Hecox

William Hecox New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    I guess if you want a truly hard reset you should remove power from the unit and let it set for a least a minute before restoring power. We were told that any remaining electricity held by capacitors would drain off. I am not sure if modern electronics even use capacitors any more.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    discard my second phrase from previous post

and yes, modern electronics DOES use capacitors !