1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different dish needed for hdtv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rick390, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick390

rick390 New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    I have a 3-lnb directv dish at present. When I finally get an hdtv will I need to get a different dish to receive hdtv or will my current one work?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    You posted on Dish Network Thread. You should have post moved to DirectTV.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So moved.

4. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Your current dish can receive all of the national DTV HD Feeds. They come off the 119 SAT. If you ever get HD locals in Shady Cove you would then need the new 5LNB dish. But for now, your dish will provide you everything HD that DTV offers. (As lacking as that may be).

5. mssturgeon

mssturgeon AllStar

Dec 8, 2004
    DTV will begin to turn off the national HD feeds beginning this summer with the west coast feeds. They will be moving them to the new satellites (not sure which, specifically) so you will need to upgrade to the 5 LNB dish and MPEG-4 receiver equipment in order to continue to receive them.

I have not heard anything about them moving their other HD networks from their current satellite, so those will likely stay where they are for another year or two until the remainder of the new satellites are in place.

- Shane

6. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I take it you're referring to ABC, CBS, FOX & NBC, correct?

So DTV is planning on upgrading all of folks that receive east/west coast HD feeds under waivers to the MPEG4 system before this summer? That seems like a lofty goal given the fact many of these customers are literally in the middle of no where.

7. mssturgeon

mssturgeon AllStar

Dec 8, 2004
    That is what I have heard from the DirecTV PR folks.

- Shane

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'll bet they will work hard to make sure everyone's waivers are current and follow the current guidelines. None of this "moving" crap, and none of this "well I have them right or wrong, so you cant take them away from now that I got them" crap either...If you have them, but live in an area that isnt supposed to get them because you could get OTA, then tough...Hopefully they will be ruthless like E* and their audit team...only way to get things back into compliance witht eh FCC...

9. digibob

digibob Legend

Dec 1, 2005
    They better have a HD DVR ready to record mpeg 4 by the time they shut of the mpeg 2 national network feeds. If not, there will be an uproar not being able to record networks.:nono2:

10. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    With the amount of resources it's taking to roll out the local HDs in MPEG4 to new DMAs I would think it's not likely DTV would also choose to replace dishes and HD receivers and DVRs for all the customers with waivers in the middle of no where all before summer.

I'm not sure how many customers this involves but I'm guessing a few. Plus this is the type of upgrade that will involve an untrained installer in Idaho with a list of 5 upgrades in his area.

I would hope DTV continues the national HD feeds under MPEG-2 until for a little longer, although this doesn't effect me. I get OTA fine and will pass on the upgrade at this point.

11. mssturgeon

mssturgeon AllStar

Dec 8, 2004
    It's not just waivers, but all those that are in O&O areas also, for those networks that work that way. But keep in mind, it's not ALL customers receiving locals via satellite, only those that receive HD locals via satellite. The SD locals will remain in operation. So given that their entire HD subscriber base is only about 800,000 ... there are probably not a huge number that will have to be replaced in remote areas (just a guess on my part, of course).

But everything I've read/heard from DirecTV indicates that they will indeed swap out equipment at no charge for the affected customers. Those wanting to upgrade prior to that will pay $99. New customers will pay $200 (with rebates, of course). Those numbers are for the new H20 (HD DVR).

Hope that helps,

- Shane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.