Different Take On DTV Now Becoming Primary Platform in 2020

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerM, Nov 20, 2017.

1. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I read this article and it got me thinking what if AT&T's CEO didn't really mean he wanted DTV Now to be the primary service by 2020 but he wanted the DTV Now 2.0 software to become the primary platform running across all its TV services by 2020? That way everything would have the same look and feel. Maybe even the DTV Mobile app will have the DTV NOW 2.0 platform. Also what if the DTV NOW 2.0 software would be able to run on all types of boxes and this new interface that we are getting is just a facelift? Right now the DTV NOW software can only do two streams. What if later DTV NOW software could have 7 streams?

AT&T: DirecTV Now 2.0 is coming in the first quarter of 2018 | FierceCable

“DTV Now 2.0 is coming,” the Wells Fargo analysts wrote. “Importantly, this will streamline the User Interface (UI) for the customer (T currently has different UIs for DTV, DTV Now, U-verse and Sunday Ticket). This upgrade will also likely bring with it some additional functionality (i.e. Cloud DVR, additional streams, etc.). Timing is expected in Q1'18 (when we expect T will also own a lot more content and have some anchor tenants to build around DTV Now...yes even with today’s headlines).”

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    they will need to have uncapped streams for directv to work in bar's and hotels

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv Now is not going to be used in bars and hotels.

4. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I mean using the DTV NOW 2.0 interface not the service itself on the DTV and UVerseTV boxes. DTV NOW is getting a major facelift with DTV NOW 2.0.

5. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The new interface won't be used in bars and hotels either, until Directv supports clients in those markets. Directv isn't updating the interface for any standalone receivers or DVRs, only HR44, HR54, HS17 and their clients.

6. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    What if DirecTV Now's 2.0 new interface isn't anything like the new interface that the HR-44, HR-54 and HS-17 are getting? What if the DirecTV NOW 2.0 update is designed to run on all types of boxes? In another article it did say they want to have the same UI running on everything. Or will the DTV NOW 2.0 interface update be getting the new interface that the HR-44, 54 and HS-17 are getting? The article also said the new unified interface with a new UI would start on DTV NOW and the other platforms would get it later.

DIRECTV NOW Cloud DVR Will Come Courtesy of New Unified AT&T Entertainment Platform - Telecompetitor

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  7. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I doubt any currently deployed DirecTV satellite receivers will get the new unified UI. But it will be the standard UI on the next generation of DirecTV satellite STBs, as well as the DirecTV mobile app for Android and iOS, as well as the DirecTV Now app, plus whatever STB that AT&T deploys as their own client for use with OTT DirecTV (whether that's branded as "DirecTV Now" or "DirecTV" or some third brand).

8. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Isn't the new unified UI what is currently being deployed on HR44, HR54 and HS17? Or are you saying what is being installed on those now will be replaced in a couple years by yet another UI?

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Or is this as close as they can get and then next generation hardware will be totally different and more capable hardware and therefore be able to run the new unified interface.

10. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I don't recall the hardware specs of the HR44/HR54 offhand, but there's no way they could have a UI the HS17 is incapable of running.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes... my point was that maybe none of them can.

12. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    No, not based on my understanding of everything that AT&T has disclosed over the past several months about their next-gen unified video platform. As I understand it, this new unified UI (which is only part of that platform) will first debut on the upcoming DirecTV Now app (currently in beta, to be released 1Q18). I think it will be coming soon to an updated version of the DirecTV mobile app (iOS & Android) for satellite subscribers. AT&T has said that the new UI will come to satellite STBs "in the coming years". So I doubt it ever gets deployed on any current-gen satellite STBs. My guess is that the current HS17, C61, HR44 and HR54 stay with pretty much the UI they have now. It's the next gen hardware, the HS27, C71, etc. that will have the new unified UI. (I wonder if there will be an HR64? My guess is that AT&T wants to fully move to a home-server + client model, i.e. HR27 and C71, for satellite subs.*)

You can get a look at this new UI on the beta of the DirecTV Now app on Apple TV here.

*EDIT: FWIW, an admin on the Solid Signal forum confirmed back in March 2017 that there will be no HR64.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  13. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    what will be done for hotels / bars and hotels with residential experience? server + client model may not work that well and bars will not go
    Pro:Idiom unless they get it free.

14. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why would client/server not work well for hotels or bars? You don't need Pro:Idiom, you just need a client at every TV. For those using a matrix system, you swap the receivers for clients.

All the wiring is the same - simpler in fact, since DECA frequencies are lower and you'd gain the option of dumping coax and using cat5 if you wanted (or theoretically even wireless)

Residential experience would need custom firmware, the same as they have custom firmware on the H25s they're using currently.

15. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    Residential experience is full boxes unless they have an 100+ tuner server then you can't just have clients. bars that have say 20+ tv's but only 8-16 boxes will need more hardware + maybe outlet fees and may it hit the DECA limts.

also big MDU's?

16. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Well obviously you'd have more than one server to get 100+ tuners...

Bars that have 20 TVs but only 8-16 boxes today would have 8-16 clients. Why would they be required to switch to one client per TV if they currently have receivers that are sharing TVs or feeding a matrix? Clients can share TVs or feed a matrix, too. DECA limits aren't an issue because they'd be on separate segments - each DSWM30 output would have one server and up to 7 clients.

Before you object "Directv doesn't support multiple Genies on an account" they already do and have been for over a year now for commercial public viewing accounts. The supported solution to get 4K in a bar is to buy one HR54 and one C61K per TV, and you can get as many such pairs as you want (you can't use the DVR functionality and AFAIK can't attach any HD clients)

Commercial public viewing accounts don't pay outlet fees, there's a flat fee of IIRC $90 that covers as many receivers as you want for any location with a crowd capacity over 100. Other types of commercial accounts do pay outlet fees, but again since you wouldn't need any more clients than you have receivers today it shouldn't affect your outlet fees.

MDUs would work just like they do today. I don't see how going client/server would change things for MDUs, no matter their size.

17. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    It's also not impossible for DirecTV to change policies going down the road. If they currently don't do server/clients or only for 4K in commercial accounts there is nothing that says they can't change that policy.

It's weird to see "well they have never done X, it'll never happen" when AT&T has shown that they can and will change things as they see fit