1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Home Advantage - 5 rooms?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by CRUZN8R, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUZN8R

CRUZN8R New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Can I add a 5th room 521 to this package?
    Digital Home Advantage promotion
    4 TVs (2 HD, 2 DVR)
    HD 811 / HD 811 / DISH 522 for 4 TVs

This would be a new install, first time dish customer.

One dealer told me I can't have more than 4 TV's connected, I need 5.

Thanks for any help.

2. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    I believe you could buy outright an additional 301 or 311 (or a 111 if your TV only has a coaxial input, otherwise avoid). Confirm with a CSR on the phone though by calling 1-800-333-DISH.

3. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes, if you purchase the receiver and pay 59.00 for the install, and you will also have to buy additional switches, most likely an sw 34 switch 119.00 , under the dha promotion you can only have 4 leased tuners. in the example you gave 811/811/522 is already at this 4 tuner limit. any add'l receiver weather a single tuner or dual tuner would be up to you to pay for. Right now you cannot "buy" a dual tuner reciever so the 5th tuner would have to be a single tuner receiver i.e. 111 , 301/311 ,501/508 ,510 etc.....the "free" install of the 4 tuners will include a dish pro quad , and all ports on the quad will be used. So the 5th turner would require at least a dp 34. Also technically this type of install would require the quad to be swapped out for a dp twin with dp 34, in this case you would have to have a 2nd dp 34 switch which will not be included in the "free" install, to make a long story short, you will have to buy a dp 34 switch 119.00 + 59.00 for install of 5th tuner, and the cost of the 5th tuner which would be yours. Do not let a csr tell you otherwise.

4. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Legend

Jun 28, 2002
    dishcsr is right. You can do it at your own expense. One thing I would like to point out, though, is that you don't have to swap the DP Quad out for a DP Twin and DP34. You can simply add a DP34 to two ports of the DP Quad. you then have the capability to have up to 6 tuners.

5. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004

Yes this is right, however the dual tuners have to be connected to the same lnbf or switch, so one dual can use two ports on the quad and the 2nd dual tuner can use 2 ports of the dp 34 ,so most installers will opt for the swapped out quad for twin and 2 34 switches.

6. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Legend

Jun 28, 2002
    I guess that's definitely something to consider. I always use dual (siamese) cable for all dual-tuner receiver installs, so I would either connect both cables to the quad, or both to the DP34. It never crossed my mind that someone wouldn't know which two lines went to which receiver. Since DISH doesn't reimburse us for a DP34 (although they have been making a few exceptions), the only option I would have if I wanted to get paid would be to still use the quad.

7. ahlemann

ahlemann Cool Member

Feb 25, 2004
    One thing to consider that might be able to solve your problem is to connect the TV2 output from the 522 receiver to 2 TVs through your in-house cabling. You will not be able to watch a different channel on those 2 TVs but given that you still have 3 other rooms to watch a different channel, I don't think that it should be a problem. I don't know if this idea would work in your situation, but it would be cheaper than buying the equipment necessary to have a dedicated receiver in the final room. Keep in mind that you would only have one remote for both rooms that are hooked up to one output unless you buy another remote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.