Digital Sub Channel?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RonH, Nov 20, 2009.

1. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I receive my Local from Lexington,Ky. I just read in the paper that WLEX out of Lexington has added Digital Sub Channel to broadcast University of Ky. Classic Sport games. The article mentions it will be on Insight Cable and OTA but I was wondering how this new Channel works for Satellite customers. Since WLEX already has a deal with DirecTv will I get this sub channel as part of my Locals? I live 75 miles from Lexington so OTA is not possible.

Thanks

2. RockinRay

RockinRay Cool Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Typically, you will only get the main channel from DirecTV and no subs.

We live in Minneapolis where most stations offer two to four sub channels and we only get the main channels.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Actually, with hi-gain antennae atop a tower of sufficient height, achieving 75 miles OTA is quite possible, depending, of course, on the topo between your location and the xmtr.

4. RDH416

RDH416 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    I live in Lexington and now get locals in HD via D*. As RockinRay indicates, that means the 'main' programming channel only from each of 18, 27, 36, 46, and 56. I use an antenna to get their subchannels (18 has 1 (Wazoo Sports in SD), 27 has 2 (CWKYT which not in HD and is also on D* channel 14 and a weather info), 36 has 2 (both non-HD), 46 has 2 (4 when State Legislature is in session), and 56 sometimes has had one but don't think they do right now.
    My antenna is in the attic and I can also get Louisville's main and subchannel OTA signals on it. (3,11,21,32,41,58 and several other KET locations) I mention that as Louisville is about 75 miles away and even with an attic antenna, we can get their signals. If getting those subchannels means a lot to you, you may want to try an antenna. 27 recently received permission to switch broadcasting from channel 13 to channel 36. Once that's completed all of the Lexington channels will be on UHF. Since you can get all of 27's delivery now via D*, except for it's weather sub, that shouldn't be a big deal anyway as their weather channel usually only has a map or current/projected temps. Never any sound.
    Good luck!