1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diplexer No No

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tybee Bill, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    Had a diplexer between my HR20-700 and the Sat to run a tv in the next room. Couldn't understand why I was losing some recordings on HD locals. When the installer came to hook up ny new HR22 that replaced my old HR10. I pointed out that I was getting no signal on on tuner on sats 99C and 103C.
    They won't go thru the diplexer.
    Every day I learn something new.

2. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    :icon_dumm Thanks for the info, I was about to order some :(

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yup, diplexers do not work with the new HD as the HD is broadcast on frequencies in the OTA territory. The BBCs up these frequencies to the SAT bands which is why BBCs are needed.

One work around is to move the BBCs to before the diplexers, but this is a workaround and the BBCs are not weatherproof and thus need to be protected or inside.

4. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    Thanks. Workaround fixed it. I moved the BBC ahead of both Diplexers and all is good.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Glad you got it working ;)

6. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I currently use Sat/Cable diplexers to get the cable and satellite signal on the same drop. I have done that since my first D* hook up 10 years ago and then kept them when I switched to E* so she could see the new Eastenders. I'm coming home to D* in a couple of weeks. Will I be able to use them still or are you talking about splitting the sat signal which I know can't be done?

And out of curiosity, what is a BBC? I just started reading the D* forums so I'm behind most of you folks on the latest and greatest D* related stuff but hope to catch up by reading here. Thanks.

7. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    BBC is a B Band Converter that all HR20, HR21 and HR22 D* boxes need, unless you upgrade to a SWM5 or SWM8 setup. I can anticipate your next question.

8. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    They are provided free of charge when you get a HD box.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    B band converter. Some of the new SAT channels come from the dish in the 250-750 MHz band. As you may know, these are right in the OTA/CATV band. The BBCs connect to the back of the receiver SAT input. If you move them to before the diplexer, then they up convert the signals to 1650-2150 MHz [out of the band].

10. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Well, that answered the second question. The first question was will I still be able to use the Sat/Cable diplexers? I requested both receivers be single wire install because they are on interior walls of the first floor so a wall fish is out of the question. And I'm not going to run wires around the floor or ceiling.

11. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for the info. And no, I didn't know that about the frequencies. Electric can openers are still magic to me, let alone this stuff. But if I understand, as long as I place the diplexers ahead of the BBC I'll be okay. But also, if I get a single wire install I won't need a BBC.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    the single wire [aka SWM] doesn't use BBCs since it's a "whole other thing".
    Moving the BBCs isn't supported by DirecTV, but many have done this and it works for them.

13. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    So to clarify, you are saying you need to move the second diplexer between the receiver and the BBC ??

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Dish-->BBC-->diplexer---->diplexer--->receiver

15. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks again. This I can understand :grin: .

16. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Thanks! I assume we can substitute Dish with Multiswitch in that diagram?

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you are referring to my "lame" --> -->, then "yes"