1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diplexing Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TylerWM94, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 6, 2007 #1 of 11
    TylerWM94

TylerWM94 Cool Member

Feb 14, 2006
    I have a question about diplexing DirecTV and Cable within the same house. Hopefully, someone can help me. I've had DirecTV for 6 years along with Internet access via the cable company. I have the line to one outlet in my house diplexed so that the cable and satellite signals are combined outside the house and then split after they come from the wall outlet. This is so I can have my cable modem and a satellite receiver in the same room.

Well, all was fine until yesterday. DirecTV came out to "fix" a problem with my dish. They ended up replacing the LNBs and the multiswitch. The tech said the LNBs were bad, but the multiswitch was fine, but he replaced it anyway because it was old. After that, my cable internet stopped working. The tech and I tried lots of things, but it just seemed like the line wouldn't diplex correctly anymore.

The tech called his supervisor. He said they weren't supposed to diplex the lines and they basically said they could create a new outlet for me for the cable or I can take it up with Time Warner Cable. So, I had them create me a separate outlet for the cable.

At any rate, has anyone else run into this problem and does it seem like a legitimate issue?

2. Jun 6, 2007 #2 of 11
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think this was a big plus for you. When the new SATs come on-line in a few months, you would need to have a separate line anyway as then you couldn't diplex with the new frequencies.

3. Jun 6, 2007 #3 of 11
    Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    I used to diplex cable and D* together on a single line. But since cable now offers internet and phone service, I leave their equipment alone and run my own.

4. Jun 6, 2007 #4 of 11
    capecodsooner

capecodsooner Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    I went through a similar situation in the last 10 days.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=88236

There is some good info in that thread but I'll echo what V.O.S said in his post -- I think they did you a favor.

Bottom line from what I learned was that "back in the day" (single/3lnb installs MPEG2-HD) diplexing would work. Not recommended, but would work. Seems like some installers don't yet know that little tidbit of info regaurding the 5lnb installs.:confused:

But with MPEG4 (new sats/MPEG4 expansion) diplexing will be a no-go.

5. Jun 7, 2007 #5 of 11
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If anybody ever wants to complain about D* [techs. CSRs, or managers] just don't have my SuddenLink ISP. Spend all day with everybody here & on the phone [my service has been screwed for months], but I won't go on....
    Only to say that "cable modems" if they're like mine use two frequencies: 99 MHz [FM band] down stream, & 25 MHz up stream. These could be diplexed with the new system [Ka hi & lo] but the trick would be to get diplexers that have a crossover at the needed frequencies. Since most [all] current diplexers are for OTA signals their crossover point is up at almost 900 MHz.
    Until someone offers a crossover point of around 200 MHz, cable modems and the new system can't be diplexed. FWIW

BTW: my ISP has finally figured out their head-end has a problem and it isn't on my end. D* "service" doesn't look quite so bad right now [only because there really is worse out there].

6. Jun 7, 2007 #6 of 11
    CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    VOS, I think what this indicates is there are a ton of folks out there trying to make repairs, decisions, installations, etc that don't have the proper training. They all pretty well know how to do the nut and bolt work, but when it comes to truly understanding systems, most are clueless. I don't blame them...I blame the folks whose responsibility it is to make sure they have qualified people available to handle these types of situations. Having to wait days and even weeks to get a proper answer is unacceptable to the public. I know it's expensive to train and maintain personel in these matters, but it really should be a requirement.

It would be akin to hiring me to set up a computer network. I could probably get it done if everything went perfect and according to plan. But if a problem popped up, I wouldn't have a clue on how to diagnose it and what to do if I found it. For that, I would need to have the proper training and education.

7. Jun 7, 2007 #7 of 11
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "You think?" [DUH] Sorry "we both think".
    I've been doing this "SH**" for years, am "old school", and can't "live" with what is called "techs" these days. "Back in the day", you actually needed to know what you were doing.
    I blame management, guys with spreadsheets, and a complete lack of understanding of the true meaning of "service to a customer".
    Yeah, I know I'm a dinosaur & I'm just waiting around for that comet to crash.
    Thank God there is this forum, don't you wish there was one for everything? :)

8. Jun 7, 2007 #8 of 11
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I run cable and D* on the same lines - just had the new slimline and HR20 installed. Installer said he didn't know if it would but it worked fine - however he set it up. I have been unable to run Internet and D* "ever" but that isn't a problem since the Internet cable guys ran their own run.

I keep cable because the discount on get on having multiple services from the cable guys is less than the cost of the very basic cable, 1 have 1 TV(kitchen) that isn't on D*, and I get some HD channels on cable (even with only the basic I also seem to get all the digital stuff), PBS and local ABC(contract dispute with local ABC and D* and even some cable companies).

9. Jun 7, 2007 #9 of 11
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.
    If you're running cable diplexed into your SAT feed from a 5 LNB dish, it will work [now], but won't in a few months when the new SATs come on-line, since the new frequencies used by D* will be 250-750 MHz, which are used by the cable company.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    :rant:

11. TylerWM94

TylerWM94 Cool Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Thanks everyone. I don't feel so bad now. Actually, it seems to have worked out for the best...especially since all the work was done for "free" under the protection plan. Now, when I upgrade to HD in a couple of months, everything will already be in place and won't have to worry about the diplexing aspect of it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.