1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct Cinema guide ads?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by chrisfowler99, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 #1 of 11
    chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    What's up with these ads? I have 10 of them in a row between channels 124 and 125.

Is there any way to limit these?

A few wasn't bad...but 10?!? Almost two pages worth... :mad:

2. Oct 9, 2010 #2 of 11
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Those aren't ads....

Look again, each of them is a PPV movie that is already on your drive. They are just doing them in color because they are part of the new DirecTV Cinema.

The $ sign indicates PPV and the green check mark means it is on your drive ready to play.

3. Oct 9, 2010 #3 of 11
    Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    No reason to have those channels on your guide anyway. Just make a custom favorites profile and delete all of those channels. If you decide you want to watch a PPV movie, just switch your favorites list to "all channels."

4. Oct 9, 2010 #4 of 11
    johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    I know a couple that has had DIRECTV for about 10 years now and they still don't have a favorites list. Each time I'm over there I've noticed all the channels come up when they are looking thru the guide. :eek2:

5. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    Some folks are like that. Think back to the days of VCRs when many people left the clock blinking at 12:00 because they didn't understand how to program it. There are still some who think they have to leave their TV on to make a recording.

I'm not making fun of anybody just pointing out that some folks get intimidated by even the simplest technology. It's not that they're stupid, they just don't understand it and may be too embarrassed to ask for help.

Whenever I come across somebody like that, I usually offer to help them. Just last week, I had some neighbors get their first DVR and I taught them how to program the favorites list.

6. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    my brother and his wife's guide is like that. he's savvy enough to set it up; and lazy enough not to.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I know a lot of people who do that for every provider. They just can't be bothered. When I go to my sisters and try to pick a program from the guide on fios, I never know if it will appear a purchased or not. I think I'm going to fix it next time I'm there.

8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    That's me! :)

It's not really laziness, though. There's no real need. I seldom browse through the guide. I key in the channel numbers I want to watch or record.

9. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    I've tried to explain it a few times. I say - You can make a favorites list and not have to search thru all the channels all the time. I get ignored, or a blank stare so I just gave up trying.

10. chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I had knocked down my channel list to what I wanted. I left 124 and 125 there on purpose because of some PPVs that come on those that we watch. I didn't realize simply leaving those two would result in 10 in-line ads.

I removed them and all is better. Thanks.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Meh. You can take all the PPV out of a favorites and use DirecTV Cinema to find movies or just flip off you favorites when you want to find a movie. Or live with the "ads" because they are really movies, not ads. Just as the PPV on 124 and 125.