Direct Genie Client Diplexer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by ExplodingSidewalk, Dec 28, 2019.

1. ExplodingSidewalk

ExplodingSidewalk New Member

May 30, 2008
    Just installed an OTA Antenna in attic for my brother. Excellent signal picking up all channels from towers.

Brother did not complete due diligence on his coax cable setup. Attic is above garage and we are able to send the ota signal down to his basement to where all of the Directv Genie and Clients are connected (Directv Splitter basement). He only wants to have OTA signal to his office but the ONLY way to get to his office is by piggy backing on Directv cable from the Directv Splitter (basement) to Directv Client (basement).

I understand that the Directv MOCA signal might affect the OTA signal but, what happens if we block the Directv MOCA signal to the Directv Client. Is it rendered useless? Can you still watch Directv just no DVR'd shows?

OTA Coax / Satellite Coax => Diplexer => Coax Cable (Other Side of Basement) => Diplexer => OTA Coax / Satellite Coax

Would a "band stop filter" work between Directv Splitter and Diplexer (Satellite IN)?

Thanks for your help.

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    All client signal is moca so if you block it you're not gonna watch anything on the client.

3. ExplodingSidewalk

ExplodingSidewalk New Member

May 30, 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I was afraid of that.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What receiver does he have? Maybe get a am21 and just add over the air to dtv. But not if he has a hs17...

5. Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
    I would recommend getting silicone dust home run 4 tuner version easy to install app on pc and watch tv.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then it wouldn't be DTV solution :(

7. Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Yes but he said wants to watch ota in office. He only wants to have OTA signal to his office but the ONLY way to get to his office is by piggy backing on Directv cable from the Directv Splitter (basement) to Directv Client (basement) Getting Am21is one solution but he may wan to think outside of box

8. Brad_73

Brad_73 Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Southeast, GA
    The Sonora SWMD3 might do what you need. As it was designed to do the same thing with CATV. They are only $12 each, so it would be worth it to get a pair and try:
    Sonora Three Port Verticle SWM Diplexer (SDSWMD3) from Solid Signal

The other option is similar to what Tritron said. Except I would recommend the Tablo TV. The tuner box can go anywhere you have the antenna coming in at, ac power, and a network connection (either wired or wireless). From there it sits on your network available for any streaming device to use - it works with AppleTV, Roku, Firestick, Android TV, LG WebOS, some Samsung smart TVs, and others.
    https://www.tablotv.com/
    [edit]: Note the Tablo box does run hot, so you can NOT stick it in an attic. Also, putting it into a small area is not recommended without active (fan) cooling. The box will lockup when it gets to hot and need to be reset often. So keep it cool.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Hobo81 likes this.