1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct Satellite 99s and 103 won't activate

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Burton Fisherman, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Burton Fisherman

Burton Fisherman New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Had a couple of HR22/100 receivers die on me at the same time and Directv replaced with HR24's. Went to setup them up and found that was not getting local or national HD channels as before. Have SL3 LNB dish type with multi switch setup and have not changed any of the alignment from when the HR22's worked perfectly. Nothing appears to be blocking the dish signal either.

Current Signal Strength Test provides the following information:
    Satellite 99ca, transponder 9 is 90%
    Satellite 99cb, transponder 1 is 95%
    Satellite 99s, transponder 1 is Not Acquired
    Satellite 103s, transponder 1 is Not Acquired
    Satellite 103ca, transponder 9 is Not Acquired
    Satellite 103cb, transpronder 1 is Not Acquired
    Satellite 101, transponder 1 is 98%
    Satellite 110, transponder 8 is 100%
    Satellite 119, transponder 22 is 100%

Can anyone please let me know what may be the issue here? Thanks much

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    How many plastic eyes are on the LNB ?
    If it is 3 then you need to change the dish type LNB 5.
    You could not get 110 and 119 if you had an LNB 3.

3. Burton Fisherman

Aug 11, 2018
    It has one plastic eye. The number on it is SL3K4NR1-03 which when I looked it up thought it said it was a SL3?
    I thought that I had been told it was an SL5 but am just going by the number information mentioned above. In either the SL3 or SL5 satellite setups that I have tried, the 99s and all of the 103's show as Not Acquired.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The single eye is an SL3.
    Does it have 1 coax connected to it or 4 ? If you press the dash - button on the remote does it say SWM detected ?

The sats with the s after the number are your locals and they have weird numbers but some of them should have numbers. Lots of mine are down in the 30 s.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried this ?
    What does “refreshing service” mean?

6. Burton Fisherman

Aug 11, 2018
    it has the 4 cables into my multi switch that then goes to the wall outlets. Have not tried the refreshing service. What is that?

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This will have the sat send a signal to all your smart cards to tell them what all you are supposed to get for programming.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Please press the dash - button on the remote and post the message that comes to the TV screen.
    If your 4 cables are feeding in to a box it might be a SWM box.
    If it is and the dash button says SWM detected you need to use the Slimline 3s and no multiswitch in sat setup.

9. Burton Fisherman

Aug 11, 2018
    When dash is pushed there is nothing about SWM detected or otherwise. As I said early in my initial post, this entire setup has been working properly and the only event or change is that the two HR 22's died and were replaced by HR24's. All of the satellites were previously working fine and getting all of the channels. Question that I have is could the cause of the two receivers no longer being able to power on and work, also be related to the LNB on the satellite now not being able to activate the 99s and all of the 103 satellites? Could the LNB have also gone bad which will not allow these satellites to now be send by the new replacement receivers?
    thanks for the help.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    At this point I would lean towards something happened, like a lightning strike damaging the LNB and both of those receivers. I have never heard of a bad LNB causing a receiver not to power up. A receiver will power up even it is not connected to the coax. I have an old one with about 25 movies on it and it will run without being connected.
    I had lightning knock out my LNB and 1 TV a few years ago.

11. Burton Fisherman

Aug 11, 2018
    That's what I am thinking too. Can you determined anything from the information included in my initial post with the signal strength test? By the Not Activated status of the 9s and all of the 103 satellites during the test, could that be interpreted that the LNB is not sending a signal to the receivers for those satellites? And if that's the case then the LNB must be bad?

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I can not. Some of the more experienced posters here might be able to.

You just posted for 2 transponders on each of the sats. Is there a reason for that ?
    My 99s is 1 thru 8, 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 79 - 77 - 85 -86
    17 is 0 and 18 is 24
    17-24 are 100 - 98 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
    25 thru 32 are N/A

FYI: N/A does not mean Not Acquired in this usage. It means it is Not Applicable ( no number is expected at that position ).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Bitterman likes this.
  13. MalcolmG

MalcolmG Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Colorado...
    Did you hook up the b-band converters?

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

jimmie57 likes this.