1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct TV HD DVR Settings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gdoddato7, Apr 28, 2011.

1. gdoddato7

gdoddato7 Cool Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Hello - I am looking from some help. I have a SWM system in my home for Directv. I have multiple HR 22 HD DVR's. Recently, I noticed when I went into the satellite settings that I was unable to change the setting for switch type from SWM to multiswitch. That particular section was greyed out and I was unable to change it. I might have a need for one of my receivers to be connected to a multiwitch, hence the need to adjust that setting. Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust that switch type setting and if so, how I would do this? Is there a way to reset the receiver some how that would allow me to change the satelitte set up to change the switch type to mulit switch. Thanks in advance for our help

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    While using a SWM system the option for a multiswitch is greyed out (as you have discovered). If you shut down the receiver, connected it to a multiswitch, and power it back up, the option of using a multiswitch should be there.

3. gdoddato7

gdoddato7 Cool Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks for your reply. I did try to power down the reciever connect it to a multi switch and power it back on, but was unable to adjust the setting for the switch as it was still greyed out. If anyone else has any ideas, I would apprecitate it

4. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Did you connect it to the multi-switch using BBCs?

5. gdoddato7

gdoddato7 Cool Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Yes, I had the B Band Connectors connected. Should they not be connected?

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    B-Band converters aren't necessary while using a SWiM.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Changing back to a legacy multi-switch from a SWiM system can be a bit troublesome.
    I'd pull the power cord for a while, and then before running the SAT setup again, I'd select "restore settings". Hopefully this will clear the SWiM status.

8. gdoddato7

gdoddato7 Cool Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I tried this and it did not work. I appreciate any other thoughts or suggestions

9. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    He is switching from SWM to a multiswitch to test the ability to make teh change over.

10. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    When using your multiswtich, do you get any signals on your sat strength screen? Also, what kind of multiswitch are you trying to use?

More info about your setup could be helpful.

11. gdoddato7

gdoddato7 Cool Member

Apr 27, 2010
    When using the multiswitch, I do not get any signal stength on the satellites. I get a message that states there is an error communciating with the dish. I was assuming that was becuase I am trying to connect using a multiswitch, but the settings in the receiver have SWM designated for the switch type. I am using an older multiswitch that has worked fine with this reciever before, just not after the switch settings were adjusted

12. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    DUMB question... Where is your SWM? In the dish itself? If so I don't think what you wish is even possible? Experts?

If not then how are you getting lines from your dish to the multiswitch,,, from the SWM's legacy ports?

Seems to me to test this for full HD on all units while retaining SWM for the other receivers, you would need 4 2 way splitters to cascade the 4 sat down leads to both a SWM and a multiswitch. If you do that you can merely add a second SWM8 or just upgrade to a SWM16 and not need to cascade.

Not enough info on your set up and what the end state needs to be or why...

Don "just wunnerin?" Bolton

13. gdoddato7

gdoddato7 Cool Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I currently have the SWM system, but want the ability to move back to the multi switch. The SWM system has extra lines coming into the house that the wife is not happy about. I guess the biggest question is can the receivers be reset to allow me to reconfigure the switch settings by myself and if so how or does Dirertv control that confirguration setting. Thanks

14. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm a bit confused by the bold statement above.... why the extra wires? SWM should reduce the amount of wiring you need (it did for me - 1 wire into a 4 way splitter with 1 wire going to each receiver in the house, as opposed to 4 wires into my multiswitch and 2 wires going to each receiver).

15. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Do you have an external SWiM ( 4 active wires from LNB) or is it from the LNB (1 active cable)? If it is the latter, you can not use a multi-switch.

16. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    Disconnect the sat in cables, reboot the ird, and repeat satellite setup and don't attach cable until you select the different dish / switch. This should allow you to choose a different switch type. Hope that helps.

17. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    If you have a splitter in the line to supply multiple receivers, you'll have to bypass it with a barrel connector. Or at least, disconnect all the receivers from the splitter except the one you are testing.

18. gdoddato7

gdoddato7 Cool Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.

"Disconnect the sat in cables, reboot the ird, and repeat satellite setup and don't attach cable until you select the different dish / switch. This should allow you to choose a different switch type. Hope that helps"

Can you please clarify what the "ird" is? Thanks

19. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The IRD (is your set top box)

If you have a swim system-your LNB may have been changed to a SWM using only one down lead-the installer did not remove the other three from the dish to your old muiltiswitch.

that is why you are not getting and signal (or) unable to commnuicate to the dish when you try to reset the box.

I'm just guessing -because you haven't told us what type of swm switch you are using now.

20. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    IRD stands for Integrated Receiver/Decoder, i.e. the DirecTV receiver box.