Direct*TV looking to Dump Discounted Folks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by WestDC, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Dec 5, 2019 #1 of 72
  2. Dec 5, 2019 #2 of 72
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No surprise.

Dishdude714 and WestDC like this.
  3. Dec 5, 2019 #3 of 72
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Maybe now the discount mongers will believe what I have said many times. The discount well isn't bottomless.

compnurd and B. Shoe like this.
  4. Dec 5, 2019 #4 of 72
    icr2002

icr2002 Mentor

Feb 26, 2005
    Buy DISH network stock then guys. I already am switching and others will also. I see DISH numbers going up next year

5. Dec 5, 2019 #5 of 72
    ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I take it - without sounding political. Our country does not like " cheepo's or cheapskates!” yup Uh huh....

6. Dec 5, 2019 #6 of 72
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    It is an arms length business transaction. Is Directv a “monger” when they seek the best deal on programming, equipment, satellites etc? There is absolutely zero difference.

Customers are free to seek the best deal they can, Directv is free to let them walk. AT&T’s biggest problem is the number of cheaper alternatives and the fact that the generation that are teens now, do not watch linear TV. AT&T’s video service is in big trouble.

TXD16 and Rich like this.
  7. Dec 5, 2019 #7 of 72
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Dish gaining cheapskate subscribers doesn't mean their stock will be a better investment, nor would Directv losing them make AT&T's stock go down. AT&T reported almost the same free cash flow ($4 billion a year) in the most recent fiscal year as they made in the first year after they bought Directv, despite having a few million fewer subscribers. They "heavily discounted" subscribers were costing them money, so it makes sense to get rid of them.

The days of providers caring more about high subscriber numbers and not caring if some of them cost them money are over.

MysteryMan likes this.
  8. Dec 5, 2019 #8 of 72
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, they realize this, which is why they're putting so much hope into HBO Max. But there will continue to be a decent number of folks who want to stay with a full-blown cable TV service for years to come. AT&T TV could do OK for them in that shrinking market, especially among those who get broadband service from AT&T. But I just don't see any way around DirecTV continuing to lose more subs, even if the worst of the losses are now over, as they claim...

APB101 likes this.
  9. Dec 5, 2019 #9 of 72
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    My current "heavily discounted" promo lasts until April. My stance has always been, and still is... "if the bottomless pit drys up then I'll leave"... I'm on Preferred Xtra / HR54 @ $82.99/mo. I sure as hell ain't paying sticker which is like $130/mo (after the upcoming price hike). At $80 - $90 ***MY*** better options are limited... at $130/mo? Not so much.

And if I do leave, it sure as hell won't be to a pure streaming play with all the dumb limitations like forced ads on CBS and not being able to delete stuff from the DVR, not to mention the fact that I'll need 3 or 4 providers to get all my channels.

I'll probably go TVision for the best of both worlds at $90/mo.

With all that being said, I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. The big discount thread still has people landing fat discounts to this very day and Cord Cutters is notoriously unreliable.

TXD16 and skizer like this.
  10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    $10.00/month per TV box even the 1st one

11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Lol... their page says "No Hidden Fees" then they have the $90 in giant 50 pt font and "$10 discount for T-Mobile and first box $10" in like 10 pt font. Haha... still cheaper then DTV + that price includes 4K + the box is a normal form factor (and NOT headless) + includes additional LA locals.

12. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    What are they classifying as "heavily discounted plans"? I've got a whopping $20 per month discount and still paying $230 per month for Premier with 7 receivers. Premier is going up $8 bucks a month in January and the RSN fee is increasing by $1.50 which will put me at $239.50 per month. And when that whopping $20 per month comes off next October I'll be at $259.50 per month. Which just happens to be when my contract is up so they will get their wish and get rid of this freeloader. We'll see how their more profitable services fare when they have no customers.

gio12 likes this.
  13. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    And boring.

(I’m referring to its YouTube videos.)

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I had the lowest package from DirecTV for the last several years and managed to wrangle some discounts. But, when I moved to Texas at the beginning of the year and cancelled service, I said I was moving into a small apartment and did not have access to a common area. While my home has a DirecTV dish, it is essentially a roof ornament. My mother, however, missed her Hallmark channel, so we have DirecTV Now (now AT&T Now), but at least she is picking up the tab.

My frustration with DirecTV started before the July, 2015 acquisition by AT&T. And, to be honest, it's really not the DirecTV that I'm blaming, but the program content providers who have kept increasing the costs of the content that I wasn't watching. The DirecTV Select package didn't include the E$PN or the Regional $ports Networks, but there were other channels that, in my opinion, were worth skipping. And, It feels like the multichannel providers and the content providers have been in more disputes this year than in previous years, causing channels to be blacked out for weeks at a time or longer.

I'm starting to wonder if television as distributed through traditional linear channels is dying a slow, painful death.

15. longhorn23

longhorn23 Active Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I do agree it has been a lot harder to get discounts this past year or so. But just the other day I called and was given NBA League Pass free for the year and a credit for half off on Sunday Ticket Max. I was previously receiving the Sunday Ticket Max part for free with about 16 dollars off a month. It shows a credit of $350 after the phone call. Also during the call, the guy game me another 10 dollars off of ATT wireless for life. I was already receiving a 25 dollar directv/att unlimited credit for life plus hbo credit for life. And I also receive 50 dollars a month off for 12 months which will be expiring soon. I do have the highest package Premier. I was very surprised by the discounts I received because they have not given me much recently. So while I agree that the discounts are being offered less, I don't think they are completely done giving them out yet. I think it depends on your package, if you've been good about paying on time, and on the customer service rep you get and how generous they are feeling.

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If you're paying $230/month I'm sure they love you, and you could probably get bigger discounts to stay since I have to think they'll still be profitable even if they were giving you $40 or $50 off.

17. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    And that's why they lt me walk after being with them since 2000. Was paying almost half price for 2 years with discounts and never been a sub pay $200+ a month.
    Always one step down from top package and sports. 2 TVs max.

Oh well.....

18. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    They let me walk without an attempt to keep me whatsoever. Heck, I never even got a "win back" call after the fact. With 6 receivers and Premier, I can count the number of discounts I had on one hand in my 2 decades as a customer with the biggest one being 30.00 a month for 6 months last year and that was given to me without my even asking during a call to order an LCC and I still have the "screen door" marks on my behind! I must have unknowingly gotten on their naughty list because I refused to subscribe to the protection plan or hardly ever bought a PPV. ;-)

19. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    As a former Directv subscriber, and someone who grew up with Directv through most of their upbringing, I get the attachment that people have to the service. Regardless whether this report is fully accurate or not, we're all seeing changes in this company. I was sad when I left a few months ago, but I'm just here to tell you, gang...the other side of the provider fence (or, gahhh....streaming! Oh no!) isn't so bad. Dip you toes in the water, give it all a chance. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Or at least I hope you'll be. ;)

APB101, gio12 and Rich like this.
  20. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    LOL at "discount monger". I have had either $50 or $60 per month off my DIRECTV service for quite a few years, but the last time I spoke to them I said, "please remove this discount because people are calling me names on the internet and it hurts my feelings. Going forward, I will always pay your advertised price."

I don't give a crap who my TV service provider is. I will choose the service that at the time provides a balance of the best quality, options and price for my tastes and budget. I suspect that when my $60 per month discount expires in August 2020, I will switch providers and that is just fine. But, I will negotiate a discount with any service provider of any type if they are open to negotiations. If people choose not to, it is their choice to pay full price. Sounds kind of dumb to me, but if that is what they prefer to do I don't mind.

TXD16, 242424 and Rich like this.