1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct TV set up question (Help!)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mltiu86, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mltiu86

mltiu86 New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    We have comcast cable tv and comcast internet (due to my job), and now we want Satel. TV. I need to keep the comcast internet due to work. My basement is finished and the installer (by phone) said they would have to run addition cable in my/through house. So now I understand that they would have to drill several holes in my brick to run the cable for Satellite. I am switching to Satellite primarily for better HD but more importantly for the BTN (Go Hoosiers).

Other facts:
    I want 4 receivers (1- DVR):
    2 receivers on the 2nd floor
    1 in the basement and 1 in the first floor family room

Why can't they use one of my lines that my exixting comcast cable (not internet) is using to provide access in the designated rooms?

Would they have to run cable all through my house to get to the 4 tvs I have?

Is there a wireless solution to all this?

How many holes in my brick will I have to endure to get DTV (or Dish) set up like I want?

Which service would serve me the best based on what I want to do?

2. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    You need 1 line per receiver(2 per DVR), and your cable internet will need its own line as well. The only thing you can hope for is that SWM would be available and that would cut the DVR requirement down to 1 line. There is no wireless solution to this.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I would review the situation and see if there is any way the extra cables could be run. As the saying goes "Think outside of the box!" Could cables be run into the room on a different wall? And then hid behind any moldings?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Perhaps the cables could be run through the attic and down the corners of the walls, or fished around between the bricks (where the mortar is?

5. bnglbill

bnglbill Icon

Nov 29, 2006
    I have a brick rancher and I drilled the holes up under the soffit which is wood and into the attic than fished the line through the walls from there. Not sure what to do with the basement though as I don't have one.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    A satellite system sends DC voltage on the coaxial cable from the receiver to the satellite dish. This voltage powers the amplifier at the dish and any needed switches. Cable companies use splitters to divide the signals distributed through out your house those splitters can't be used with a satellite system. Because voltage and switching signals are sent on the cable you need a continous cable run from the receiver to the satellite dish so cabling a satellite system is more complex than a cable system.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If your cable wiring is all home run, i.e., individual rooms are all wired back to a central location where you have individual access to each coax run, then you most likely can re-use the cabling that you already have, except to the location you have your cable modem.

A DVR can be installed using only one coax, but that limit's it's functionality. With only one coax, you lose the ability to record a second channel while watching something, or the ability to record two different programs at one time.

If routing new wire to your basement location is totally out of the question, then you may still be able to do the install with one coax to the DVR, and add the Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) when it becomes available to obtain full functionality at a later time.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.