1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct TV Wants $285 for Equip/Installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bocoogto, Oct 21, 2009.

1. bocoogto

bocoogto Cool Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Direct TV billed me this month for an installation and receiver they claim they installed last year. What actually happened is I bought the Hughes HD receiver from Best Buy and installed it myself. They activated it after I installed it. This Hughes receiver appeared on my Direct TV account until they replaced it with a leased HR20-700 HD DVR.

I was on the phone with them for three hours last night without success in convincing them I own the Hughes receiver in question. I said I wouldn't pay for the receiver unless they could produce proof that they delivered it. I ended up cancelling all Direct TV service and they turned off the feed last night.

Anyone have suggestions on what I should do next? I've considered subscribing to Dish Network.

2. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    You are leasing it.

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Send back the IRDs ASAP when the return kit comes to avoid non return fees. :grin:

4. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Yep even if yo "buy" in a place like Best Buy. It's a lease fee not a purchase. Send it back and go on with your life now

5. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Sound like there's a bit missing from this story and part may be found in this post:

Perhaps the OP didn't return the HR20 when it was replaced with the HR23, or there was a mixup with the replacement, and that's the non-return fee on the HR20.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you went to BB and purchased an HD receiver last year, it was a lease, you do not own it....the lease model has been in place since about Mar. 2006.....

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Where did he get a HUGHES receiver it has been at least 4 years since that brand existed?

8. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If he owned the receiver (And it being a Hughes brand, he probably did), and it was replaced, shouldn't the replacement also be owned (As long as it was a direct replacement and not an upgrade with an upgrade fee)?

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    We will most likely never get the whole story of what happened, just someone stopping by to bash and then run.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think you're on the right track. Very little of the OP's story seems to add up.

11. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    for the record, not unless it was covered by the protection plans.

//

Ever heard of a Hughes HR10-250?
    or a Hughes R10?

12. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Yes I've got 2 Hughes HR10-250s but I thought the R10 were Directv or maybe RCA. I don't remember them as Hughes. I do know that Hughes was sold to RCA by Directv.:)

13. bocoogto

bocoogto Cool Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I am the OP. The quote in posting #6 is from my wife's son-in-law. As stated, he bought a Direct TV HD receiver from Best Buy and installed it himself and had Direct TV activate it via telephone. After about one year, he had it replaced with a leased HR20-700 DVR shipped from Direct TV. Now, Direct TV is billing him for not sending them the HD receiver he paid $300 for at Best Buy--and they claim they installed the original Best Buy receiver. They cannot produce a service report showing delivery of the original receiver or record of a service call to activate it.

After approximately three hours on the phone with Direct TV over this issue, he got frustrated and cancelled all service. Unless Direct TV is able to resolve this with him, two HR20-700's will need to be returned and there will still be a dispute with the two-year obligation. All-in-all, it adds up to more than a $1,000 liability because of Direct TV's mistaken records of ownership of the original receiver.

Some of the above postings suggest that if you buy a receiver from Best Buy it is the property of Direct TV, not the purchaser. This does not make sense.

14. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    It doesn't matter where you purchase the receiver be it Best Buy, Amazon, Costco, DirecTV or at the time Circuit City they are all LEASED. There are some receivers out there that are purchased but it wouldn't be for $300. I am sure if you/he called back and said what had happened explained it (calmly) all things could be worked out. Even if D* didn't roll a van out and install it, they still activated it and had it listed as such.

15. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Leasing wasn't introduced until around April 2006 - prior to this it was owned, after this date it's leased.

Finding a receipt or credit card statement should help establish the date and point of purchase. But if after April 2006, it needs to be returned to DirecTV regardless of the reason for replacement.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Lets backtrack a bit shall we?

When did he originally "buy" that first receiver from Best Buy. While Best Buy and other retailers seriously dropped the ball, all receivers aquired on/after March 2006 are leased, with a few exceptions.

If he got it before 3/06 it was indeed owned. Now, if it died and he had it replaced without the protection plan, then the replacement is leased. If he had the protection plan, then the replacement should have been flagged as owned. This is unfortunately where DirecTv drops the ball far too often.

So again, any receiver acquired from either DirecTv or local store on or after March 2006 are leased. In mid 2006 stickers were applied to the boxes to help make it more clear. Late 2006, early 2007 the boxes themselves had printing directly on them indicating the box was leased.

17. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006

Further, when you get a D* receiver, they do a great job of spitting out terms and conditions. Better than if you have a tech come on site. So again, (1) depending upon when you picked up the receiver, it was a lease. (2) replacing owned equipment with new does not mean you own the new stuff (3) canceling your service will not prevent D* from either getting their money back by charging back your credit card or wrecking your credit rating when they send you to collections.

Right or wrong, you owe them money. It is up to you to prove you don't. Unless you do pay or prove your point, your next post is really going to hot.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    While he might have purchased it at Best Buy, it is still a lease. The price he paid at Best Buy is an upfront lease fee. DirecTV has been using the lease model since March 2006. The only way to purchase an owned receiver is to do so via ebay (after confirming with DirecTV that it is owned) or purchasing an HR21 Pro.

As for the installation, who and how was the dish installed? Was this HD receiver from Best Buy his first receiver? Is that where he signed up for DirecTV?

Is DirecTV requesting payment for the installation? If not, it really shouldn't be an issue to debate. They will want that receiver back though since it is a lease and if you don't send it you are liable for a non-return fee.

- Merg

19. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Your own words "he had it replaced with a leased HR20-700", he exchanged the old receiver for the lease upgrade fee giving ownership to Directv. He does owe Directv for the unreturned property.:):):)

20. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I won't dispute the fact that the OP owes D* for the receivers, but I will say that D* has, either purposely or just as a matter of course, created a system that is far too complicated. They make it very easy for customers to misunderstand, be misinformed, end even lied to by CSR's and end up owing a lot of unexpected fees. It's truly a shame, because they have such a great product, and when they do things right, it is such a pleasure to have their service, but when things go wrong, they go very wrong.