Direct TV, you need to reduce the amount of bandwidth on infomercial channels.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dubber deux, Mar 28, 2009.

1. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I just subscribed to D* and really am impressed for the most part, the only real issue I have is the number of wasted channels on infomercial content, I would bet that NO ONE watches them and although they may compensate D* with a modest amount of cash, it seems that they could reduce the amount of these channels and provide a bit more worthwhile programming content at the same time while not losing too much out of the deal.

Other opinions...welcome.

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    The amount of bandwidth an SD channel takes up is relatively small and as you observed, DirecTV gets compensated for that. I'd personally like to see more HD but they'd have to turn off a whole lot of SD infomercial channels to free up enough for an HD channel.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    None of us much like those channels. But they do help offset the cost of our subscriptions.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually, ever see what happens when someone gets hooked on these channels? :) (It ain't pretty to the credit card. Thankfully it never happened to my credit card, tho I have considered scheduling interventions for friends that it did happen to.) :)

My basic belief is that the shopping channels (and a few others) pay for themselves and offset other expenses we'd otherwise have to pay.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You may want to tone down the size of the font in you sig. Bandwith you know.

6. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    + DirecTV is spelled wrong.

7. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

A little off topic don't you think?

8. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    no.

9. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    +1 :)

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't mind, I just don't watch them. As long as they don't add the documentary channel. Now, That'd be a waste of bandwidth.

11. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    At least you kept your reply ON topic. Thanks.

12. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    I could never see how someone could get addicted to buying the absoloute JUNK shopping channels show.

Now if you told me someone got addicted to Newegg pc shopping, or Steam video game buying...

Or to go off pcs and gaming, buying real diamonds (Not the fake crap on those shopping channels), buying decorations, etc.

The crap I've seen on home shopping networks are basically what I see at the local Goodwill when I'm looking to buy old but good stereo equipment and old games. And they have the same junk far less expensive then the home shopping channels.

If someone wants to fill their house with junk, why not buy from the Goodwill? That way you'd have more money to get as much junk as your bad taste self can get. :sure:

13. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    :lol:

14. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    That is pretty annoying. When the sig is bigger than the post it makes the sig look like it is the main post

15. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Not when you sig becomes the main focus of the post

16. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    His sig ain't that big, if you want big sigs visit any enthusiast pc site.

Stop whining :nono2::nono:

BTW, I notice a couple others in this topic with far more annoying sigs then a sentence with large fonts. Who cares about font sizes anyway? :grin::p;)

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    If he's going to put his sig in large fonts at least he should correct the DirecTV spelling. The error really stands out :p

18. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Made you look though, didn't it!;)!