1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directed Needed on Newest HD DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joeDTV, Mar 2, 2011.

1. joeDTV

joeDTV New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I just got a new HDTV so I decided I wanted to get the newest HD DVR out there before I run my calibration on my set.

I'm sure this is common knowledge, but the CS rep would not guarentee me the newest version, so I decided I will just buy one and then call into activate.

But when did a quick google on HR24 (I assume that is the newest?), I found one that was commercial, one that is just a reciever, etc, etc. So thought someone can send me a link to the newest one that a regular homeower with largest hard drive would want. Can someone give me a link of a reputable seller and the product I need?

Before I drop $200, I just wanted to be 100% sure I am buying the right one. Thought I'd rely on some experts!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
  3. joeDTV

joeDTV New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Thanks for the quick response and link!

If I call DirecTV Customer Servicer, will they be able to tell me if I have a Slimline dish based on my account info? Or if I will need the BBC's..

Sorry, I have no idea what I have.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, the easiest way to tell is to Go to Menu -> Setup -> System Setup -> Info & Test -> More System Info and page down once, and you should see Dish Type. If it doesnt say Slimline or Slimline SWM, you will have to get DirecTv to install a new dish and your new DVR.
    Whether you will need BBCs will depend on which dish they install. If your current dish does say Slimline 3 or Slimline 5, but does not say SWM after it, then you will need BBC's

5. joeDTV

joeDTV New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Thanks again!

I just checked and I have "Slimline-5".

What exactly are BBC's?

I guess I'll just call them tomorrow and get that in motion - hopefully they will arrive around the same time as the new HD DVR.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    "BBC" = B-Band converter module. DirecTV will send them to you for free. You'll need one for each DVR tuner.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you currently have two coax cables going to your DVRs, you will need BBC's.

As for the commerical vs. non-commerical versions of the HR24, they are exactly the same. It looks like Solid Signal uses the "commercial" one more as an inventory tracking feature when reselling to commercial customers.

- Merg

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Commercial" are sold only to listed commercial customers, where the others are leased.