1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTiVo Guy Looking for Encouragement to Switch

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jeffnebraska, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska Mentor

Nov 7, 2006
    I have been a long time DirecTivo person (HR10-250). Now, I've moved into a new SF Bay Area home where I can no longer receive any OTA HD locals. I need to choose between Comcast and an Series 3 Tivo or Dish and a VIP622.

Here are my concerns I'd love to hear feedback on:

1) I've never found any other DVR nearly as convenient, reliable, and pleasant to use as Tivo. Is the ViP622 as good or nearly as good as the HR10-250? Any former HDTivo people made the switch?

2) I'm concerned about the quality of HD and the prevalance of satellite HD-lite broadcasting. It was a problem with DirecTv. Is it a problem for Dish?

Dish clearly has (for the moment) the greatest number of HD stations, so it is quite tempting to make the switch with the current freebies I could get.

2. apco25

apco25 AllStar

Oct 2, 2005
    Hello,

this is a no brainer. Make the switch to dish. I was a DirectTivo user for many years.

1). I like the VIP622 better than the TiVo. I was a TiVo snob until I used the 622. It does have a learning curve... Be prepared. Also, it does not have "suggested shows". But who cares?

2). I just recently swithed from DirecTV HD and yes the HD on D* was crap. The HD and SD on E* is way better.

Make the switch. Besides if you don't like it you can go back to another provider after the the 30 day trial. I was shocked at how much better Dish is than D*.

Good Luck,
    Apco25

3. F1Fan

F1Fan AllStar

Oct 8, 2006
    I've been with D* since 1996 and owned HR10-250 since its launch. I just signed up with E*, installation 11/15/2006. I'll let you know how I like 622 on Friday. HR20 is making me sick and can't get locals with my HR10. D* is going down hill, some predicting a mass exodus at year end.

4. jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska Mentor

Nov 7, 2006
    Good comments so far. I am a little worried about some trees around my skyline, but, if I can switch, you are helping me feel like I should.

Please keep the comments coming, especially those related to HD quality from E*.

5. JAB

JAB Mentor

Nov 10, 2006
    I am a new e* subscriber (from comcast) and in my opinion the picture quality is fabulous. Even the HD locals look great. The only negative I have relates to a recent problem that has surfaced regarding audio sync issues. It seems that this is something that may have crept in with the latest dishnetwork software update. At any rate, I'm confident that it will be fixed soon.

JAB

6. apco25

apco25 AllStar

Oct 2, 2005
    jeffnebraska,

you from Nebraska? You are not moving to the Bay from Nebraska are you?

7. jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska Mentor

Nov 7, 2006
    I am from Nebraska, but I haven't lived there since 1997.

8. Montyward

Montyward Cool Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I made the switch in August and it has been a good one. The 622 has exceeded my expectations for reliability (which were high) and the overall functionality is good. The multiroom viewing (TV1 and TV2) is a great feature and allowed me to get rid of the DVR in the bedroom. The pic quality through coax in TV2 is really good (which surprised me).

Anyway, make the switch, it is worth it.

9. cornflakes

cornflakes Legend

Sep 30, 2005
    Just made the switch a week ago, and I used to have an HR10-250 (actually, still do... will need to ebay it soon).

I've mentioned it before in a different post, but Tivo's interface is exceptionally easy to use. I'm starting to get more comfortable with vip622's interface more, so it's becoming less of an issue. So do prepare to be a little annoyed when you realize the vip622 doesn't do things the way Tivo normally would. Once you're used to it though, you'll be fine.

HD quality I feel is much better than DirecTV. Picture seems to be sharper, and some channels like Food Network HD or Rave are just gorgeous. Grilled cheese sandwich never looked so good on TV. The audio would stutter once in a while, but unlike the HR10-250, the audio on the vip622 can be recovered by rewinding. On the HR10-250, those stutters can't be fixed.

And you mentioned OTA... When I moved to my current place, I couldn't pick up anything with my OTA. Maybe if I point my Silver Shooter antenna just right, I could pick up one or two... and that's if nobody's walking around the house. When I switched to the vip622, I miraculously was able to pick up a lot more channels, and people can walk around and it wouldn't affect the picture. I think the vip622's receiver is better.

All in all, no regrets!

10. DanoP

DanoP Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    Do you mean Silver Sensor? Anyway, that's my experience too with the 622....OTA reception seems better than what I had with the D* H10.

11. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr AllStar

Mar 19, 2006
    SD picture cannot compare on the 622 to my 7 year-old Hughes box with D*. Other than that, Dish is good. If you mostly watch HD, it won't matter.

12. jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska Mentor

Nov 7, 2006
    Looks like I'm taking the plunge! The extra HD channels and possibility of better HD picture quality are too much to resist. I don't mind a steep learning curve, as long as things run well when I get to the top.

Since I'm utterly hooked on having two HD tuners to record two HD shows at a time, I'm going to get a second 622 and hook one to component and one to HDMI. Then, I'll also have the option of doing an extra SD room down the road.

Hope this all works out. As I've been without TV for about two weeks, I'm eager to get back in the game.

13. cornflakes

cornflakes Legend

Sep 30, 2005
    Yes that's what I meant :lol: !

14. F1Fan

F1Fan AllStar

Oct 8, 2006
    How are you going to get your second 622? Asked the CSR and was told I can only get one. Me too so used to having DVR on all of my TV's (2 HR-10's and 2 R-10's), really want to have two 622's. The only thing for me is the drive size, 250GB won't get me anywhere. And too bad I have to take HDGold Package just to get NatGeoHD, other than that, can't wait for them to install it tomorrow.

15. F1Fan

F1Fan AllStar

Oct 8, 2006
    Same here, worried about trees behind my house . Went to a local retailer (small time Mom & Pop TV Shop) and asked him to do site survey. He convidently said it's 100% doable, and I signed up for E* through him. Ohh..... he has a 622 display connected to an OTA, the PQ on HD locals is unbelievable, especially PBS. Not sure if the big antenna will pass the wife factor, she made a comment about someone having a big ugly antenna on their roof once. It could save me 5 bucks a month and more HD locals. Oh well.....

16. JAB

JAB Mentor

Nov 10, 2006

17. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    I too was a long time D* subscriber. Out here in the sticks that was the only way I could get more than a couple "local" stations, even with my 60' tower and long range antenna/rotor. I subscribed when they first began, about a dozen or so years ago. As time went on I upgraded to things like HD and Tivo.

The lack of HD on D* and the fact that I much prefer Sirius music over XM finally caused me to switch about three weeks ago. I have not regreted it for a minute. I think the picture is better and the fact that I can control two tvs with one unit is a very nice touch. I also have the ability to record music from Sirius to my 622 which is a huge plus. D* would not permit the recording of audio only channels on its Directivo.

As others have said, the 622 is a bit less convienant to use than tivo but after a day or two it will become second nature. Go with E*, you'll be glad you did!

18. apco25

apco25 AllStar

Oct 2, 2005
    What??!! As some have said above... with this situation you only need one. I am confused, why do you think you need two?

Here is you can do with the 622 : record 3 HD shows at once (two SAT HD and one OTA HD) AND watch two recorded shows at once (one off of TV1 HD) and one off the SD (TV2) - YES, you can do this all at the same time. You will have your option for the extra SD down the road. Just use the diplexer scheme to route the SD back to the other SD TV and your good to go. The 622 comes with an extra UHF remote just for this sort of setup.

I know I was shocked at how cool this is compared to any D* offering.

Apco25

19. jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska Mentor

Nov 7, 2006
    Installer was going to sell it to me for $550. Not a bargain, but more convenient than eBay.

20. jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska Mentor

Nov 7, 2006
    The installer's boss misinformed me that I could only record 1 HD and 1 SD show at a time. For this reason, I ordered two boxes. Now, thanks to this board's FAQ, I've confirmed that that surprising shortcoming of the 622 is in the installer's boss's mind only. I will be canceling the order for the 2nd 622.

I was wondering how the second room remote worked. I assume the UHF is good to go in a 2000 sq. ft. house with lots of walls between the box and the second TV? I suppose it must be.

I am very excited about my switch and the greatly increased number of HD channels. I am also hopeful that E* will be a PQ upgrade from my HD-lite on D*.

I am also very sad to be leaving Tivo, who had earned my loyalty like no other electronics company before them. But, when Tivo has an offering that works for me again, I'll jump back to them again, regardless of cost. For the moment, I just can't stand the thought of going with Comcast, so I'll have to bid Tivo adieu temporarily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.