1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirectTV HD drops 16:9 and switches to 4:3 randomly

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by jagmkx, Dec 14, 2011.

1. jagmkx

jagmkx New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I'll try to details this issue as accurately as possible with due respect that virtually all of you are more experienced in these matters:
    Components>
    DirectTv HD DVR
    ONKYO TX-SR608
    SAMSUNG HL67A750A1F

This setup has been working perfectly for many months following install.
    Recently, (5-10 times a day), and this occurs when programming switches to a commercial, the display switches from HD 16:9 format to 4:3..? This happens more on FOXNews HD but that's the channel I usually watch. It happened recently on Sports Center also. Switching the DirectTV via the remote to any other channel, and then back does 'reset' the 16: HD formatting but of course only until it sporadically occurs again? This system has been working for over a year before this issue. Never occurs watching DVD or with GT5 on my PS3.
    Help........

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Couple of questions:
    Do you have the new HD GUI or are you still using the old "blue GUI"?
    What happens if you cycle the format button?

3. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    It's probably the local commercials Directv has their HD DVR's inserting. They have the ability to store specific ads on our DVR's and then have them play during commercial breaks. I see it here too on different channels when the commercial breaks start. The commercials might be only be in SD format but is trying to play when we are tuned to an HD channel.

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Might be", but it also may be a glitch with the new HD GUI too, as HD programing can flip to pillarbars [when it shouldn't]. Cycling the format button removes the pillarbars.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It looks like he is referring to commercials, literally half the commercials on tv are still 4:3....if that is the case it has absolutely nothing to do with Directv, or is the OP referring to when it comes back from commercial and the HD program you are watching doesnt go back to 16:9?

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This was the part I was addressing with the HD GUI.

7. srdiem

srdiem New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I too have noticed this behavior on my HR20-100. When a local commercial starts (local commercial inserted by DirecTV by using the DVR) the signal switches to a 480i format. When the commercial ends and the regular programming begins I get the 720p/1080i picture squished into a 4x3 image. I don't recall what format the HR20 is sending it out as. This can be "fixed" by simply changing the channel and changing it back to the original one.

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    This has been happening to me since I received the latest NR Software Download and it seems to be after a Commercial but it stays in 4:3 Mode until I change the channel and then go back to the Original Channel I was on when I noticed the 4:3 Mode.

It has to be something with the New Code in the HDGUI and is probably not directly related to the New HDGUI but other code added or changed in that version of the Software.

9. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Maybe Native Off will help. I see many of the inserted commercials appear squished (like a double letter box) but when it returns to the normal programming the picture is correct.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I have it set to Native Off but I have Never had this problem before until I got the latest NR Download so it has to be a problem with the Software that needs to be fixed!!!