DirectTV & NFL Ticket question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Art Van Delay, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art Van Delay

Art Van Delay New Member

Apr 10, 2002
    How easy is it to install a DirectTV system. We had DTV last year, but recently switched over to Dish Network with their outstanding package they were offering. We still have the DTV equipment. I had written off the thought of being able to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket, but yesterday had the thought that maybe I could just subscribe to that w/o subscribing to any of their other packages. I called them and indeed I can just subscribe to Sunday ticket w/o purchasing any other packages. The price is ridiculous ($159 if I purchase before July 31), but worht it to me so that I am assured of seeing all the Packer games w/o having to go to a bar to watch.

My problem is this. Living in a townhome community, I don't think I can put another dish on the roof. The Dish Network guy took down our dish and we have it in the basement now, along with a receiver. I would like to hook it up on a table or something, leave it in the garage & just pull the dish out on Sundays to watch the games. Is this possible? Is the configuration of the satellite (making sure it points to the right satellite, etc) fairly simple? I want to make sure that this works prior to forking over the $160 to DTV.

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Sure its possible! The big problem is going to be the constant pointing and repointing the Dish each weekend.

You will even be able to use your old Dish Network dish it will work just fine.

3. Art Van Delay

Art Van Delay New Member

Apr 10, 2002
    Do you mean my old Direct TV dish or my current Dish Network dish? Can I hook up my direct TV receiver to the cabling that connects to my dish network dish & then watch DirectTV programming (i.e., just exchange the cables that go into my Dish Network receiver & plug them into my DirectTV receiver every Sunday so that I can watch the games)? I just want to make sure I am following you here.

I would assume I'd have to re-point the dish whenever I switched between the 2, but I wouldn't think that would be too hard, you just use the menu correct?

4. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    You can use whatever Dish you want they are really both the same (technology wise)

Repointing can be tricky sometimes you need to make adjustments to some of the screws and bolts to get proper elevations.

Again it can but it can be tricky repoint it each weekend.

5. keithb

keithb Cool Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Place the directv dish, mounting foot etc onto a 2 x 4 and attach. Then find a level spot such as a deck to place it. Adjust to the proper elevation. Find the signal (of course you'll have your receiver plugged in and hooked to a coax) Once you find the signal, mark around your 2 x 4 with chalk, permanent marker. Put your dish away for the week and when Sunday comes just bring out your dish , line your 2 x 4 up with the marks you made and presto... no need to repoint.

6. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Good one Keith!

Welcome to DBStalk.COM :wave:

7. keithb

keithb Cool Member

Apr 17, 2002
    My wife didn't think so!
    Thanks for the welcome and hello again to Chris B.

8. Guest

A permanent solution would be to install a DirecTV three-slot dish (also known as an oval dish, a multi-satellite dish, or a DirecTV Plus dish). However, this will cost you about $150 plus whatever intallation costs in time or money.

But the single dish will allow you to 'see' DirecTV at 101º (the primary transmission for DirecTV) plus 'see' 110º & 119º, for Dish Network (or DirecTV's secondary tranmission points).

Personally, I'd go with the temporary mounting solution, but the oval dish would get you around the one dish problem, if needed.

Ryan

9. lkw

lkw AllStar

Apr 24, 2002
    If you have easy access to your roof, you can easily do that yourself. You don't even need an oval dish.

I assume your Dish Network dish is a Dish 500. If so, just attach an extra LNB to the side of the 110 LNB, and you'll get the DirecTV 101 signal. Of course, you must move around the new LNB to peak your signal. As far as attaching the LNB, you can use some homemade brackets. Worst come to worst, you can simply tape it to the 110 LNB using duct tape and a wooden block as spacer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.