Directtv worth keeping

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tritron, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Jan 7, 2020 #1 of 14
    Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
  2. Jan 7, 2020 #2 of 14
    espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Meh. These are few and far between, and you can still work around them.

ISP connection drops here? My iPhone is already on an unlimited plan, and I have a lightning to HDMI adapter to feed the aux input on a TV.

3. Jan 7, 2020 #3 of 14
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Yes. I’ll pay AT&T $150 a month as a “backup” in the .0005% chance that there is vandalism. My god, are you serious?

4. Jan 8, 2020 #4 of 14
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Our phone plan is the same, we can always use the phone as a hot spot. But I've been streaming for many years and have had very few problems. And no nightmares, like I just went thru with my DVRs. I do have D* as a backup.

Rich

5. Jan 8, 2020 #5 of 14
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's about what I pay for the "backup" if that's what you want to call it. No need for a backup of any sort in all the years I've been streaming.

Rich

6. Jan 8, 2020 #6 of 14
    Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Well I have Comcast 1 gigabit for 99 I been streaming for over 10 years including international programming. Well what is the cost of streaming, specially with data caps. It is an extra $50 for unlimited Comcast + streaming service youtube tv $55 with only 70 channels. I have xtra package so I get way more than 70 I also have emby with tons of movies shows and ota antenna with silicon dust recording. I have multiple fire stick. I figure out direct tv is cheaper with more channels than any streaming service if you include price of internet. I wish with new laws being passed regarding isp prohibiting them from charging for unlimited data. I guess I can use my old att iphone as hotspot it 150 mbs

SledgeHammer likes this.
  7. Jan 8, 2020 #7 of 14
    espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    You can save $25/mo by getting the xFi Advantage package now. You have to use their gateway (You want the XB6-T, not the XB6-A), but you can put it in bridge mode so it’s basically a pass-through device like a standard modem.

As Xfinity Mobile ramps up they’re trying to bump their hotspot coverage, so they want to get more gateways out in the field to broadcast the “xfinity wifi” SSID ID. The benefit to you is half price unlimited, and if the modem has issues it’s their problem to get you working again.

xFi Advantage Now Available in Select Markets - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 3208207

This is available nationwide for all plans 500mbps and higher now.

8. Jan 9, 2020 #8 of 14
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think including the Internet fees is the right way to look at it. Wouldn't you need that in any case? We would. I'd think pretty much everybody would. I've been streaming since NF came out and I know I don't really need a sat subscription or a cable replacement service, you must know that.

Rich

9. Jan 9, 2020 #9 of 14
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I got an email this morning from Altice/Optimum. Said I could get Internet (200 down) and TV for $99 a month. Sounds like a game changer...until you find out that's for one TV set. We have 8 sets and the cost would be about the same as D*.

Rich

HiDefRev likes this.
  10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If you need to increase your internet service to fit the new streaming needs, then the cost to increase that service should be included.

For instance, if I didn’t stream or just did a little now and then, I could use the basic cable internet at about $60/month here. But now that I’m streaming much more and have found that the data cap of the basic and even the next tier don’t fit me anymore, my internet portion is up about $30/month. That $30/month should be included as part of the cost to go all streaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yet another YMMV moment. You could go lower and we simply cannot. We have to remember that everything about streaming is subjective. When we have cable or sat we are kinda locked into the way have to watch it. Streaming has so many variables nobody does everything the same way. Certainly makes it more interesting.

Rich

12. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Wow, I just jumped all over that. It took a couple of tries for the lady on the phone to get it to go through, but they are sending me one of the new modems and she changed me from my normal 1T cap to unlimited.

Maybe Houston is different, but it was an extra $1 per month for the modem rental (14.99 vs the 13.99 I was already paying) and my unlimited add-on was only $10 a month. When I looked a couple of months ago, unlimited was an extra $50 a month. I passed because I normally don't have $600 a year in overage fees. However, I certainly had more than $120 a year on overages.

Thanks for the link to the offer.

espaeth likes this.
  13. Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
    I dont believe this will work for me, I use couple Palo Alto firewalls with my comcast service.

14. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    If you have a standard cable modem today, the gateway in bridge mode will work. It’s a straight pass-through device in that configuration. Your gear gets a DHCP public IP address, just like normal.

Using Bridge Mode On Your Wireless Gateway – Xfinity