1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV 2008 Annual Report now available online

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RAD, Apr 21, 2009.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I like this quote from page 11:

"Last year, we launched a few services as stepping stones on the path to offering a whole-homeexperience. Our DIRECTV™ MediaShare service enables customers to view pictures, music and video content from their PC on their TV. Conversely, DIRECTV2PC™ allows customers to watch DIRECTV on any personal computer in their house. In the second half of 2009, customers will be able to share content between two DVRs in the home, and in 2010 our Home Media Center will provide a true wholehome solution. The goal is to have all information and entertainment devices in a home connected to a central server that will provide seamless HD, DVR and other media services throughout the house.

Initially, our focus will be on developing unique DIRECTV applications for cell phone users. We recently launched the iPhone DVR Scheduler app that combines the DIRECTV and AT&T experience with the popular iPhone graphical interface. Next our focus will turn to delivering DIRECTV content to mobile devices, particularly as our Telco partners move toward 4G technologies. In the coming months, we will be testing various programming services to determine the needs and desires of our customers. For example, later this year, we plan to stream professional football games on cell phones for our NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscribers.
    "

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Crap. I may have to rethink my plan to drop NFLST. :)

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  5. JMII

JMII Legend

Jan 19, 2008
    South Florida
    "In the second half of 2009, customers will be able to share content between two DVRs in the home, and in 2010 our Home Media Center will provide a true wholehome solution. The goal is to have all information and entertainment devices in a home connected to a central server that will provide seamless HD, DVR and other media services throughout the house."

Just the other day my wife asked AGAIN when will this feature be available. Its pretty much the only complaint (aside from rain fade) we have with DirecTV. Recording something downstairs only to learn your partner has already claimed that TV for viewing something else leads to massive disappointment. The ability share content between our two DVRs will literally save our marriage ;)

6. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    MRV is coming and SOON. Check out the CE forum.
    As far as the Home Media Center, I have no idea. Wouldn't mind beta testing it of course! Don't like that there isn't any backup though (That's why I have 2 HD DVRs).

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

8. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Wonder if they'll be a hint of anything new referenced at the DirecTV Revolution Dealers Meeting Expo in the Technology Pavilion. April 20-22/2009, Dallas, Texas at the Hilton Anatole.

9. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    I don't know why that make me LOL. Way to go DirecTV.:cool:

10. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks RAD, this is great information.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Over at Scott site he says he's been told by some in attendance that DirecTV demo'ed MRV via coax and the SWM, very interesting.

12. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, matches to what we've been discussing here for a while.

The key is which exact receivers (existing HR20-HR23 or new) and which SWM (existing SWMLNB&SWM-8, or new).

The future will be interesting ...

13. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Now that is cool. :D

After skimming through, the report seems positive. Can't wait to delve deeper when I get home. :)

Mike

14. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Won't it? :)

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    For folks that were wondering about a portable service:

Pg. 20

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There was also an acknowledgment in the opening pages that DIRECTV can do better on Customer Service:

Pg. 8

17. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The image below is on Page 6 of the Presentation, under the headline "... Expanding our Reach DIRECTV Latin America". Is anyone familiar with this interface? Or is this a hint of things that may make it into the US interface, perhaps the new oft-rumored GUI?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Also of note, much of which was known already:

Page 7 - HD Channels: With the launch of our DIRECTV 12 satellite later this year, we will gain another 50% increase in our national HD capacity to over 200 channels while offering local HD channels to more than 92% of households.

Looks like up to 100 new national HD channels are on the way. :)

Page 7 - Video On Demand: In the coming year, we’ll expand the richness and functionality of the service with faster access and a more integrated experience with DIRECTV’s linear channels.

How can they make it faster? Upgrading back-end servers? The "integration" will also be interesting - I wonder if when you tune to a channel that has OnDemand content available you'll have a pop-up or some other way to quickly jump to the OnDemand channel?

Page 8: ScoreGuide: And getting ready to debut in 2009 is ScoreGuide™, which will provide customers with up-to-the-minute game scores from the major sports leagues at the touch of a button via their remote control.

Already mentioned in this thread and elsewhere. Can't wait for it to be available on the HD channels.

Page 10 - Troubleshooting: In the last few months, we have overhauled our set-top box testing to further improve the reliability of our boxes, eliminated steps in the home installation process to improve technician performance, added diagnostic tools to expedite problem solving, and many other enhancements.

We know about that! :)

Page 11 - Innovations and the Future: Last year, we launched a few services as stepping stones on the path to offering a whole-home experience. Our DIRECTV™ MediaShare service enables customers to view pictures, music and video content from their PC on their TV. Conversely, DIRECTV2PC™ allows customers to watch DIRECTV on any personal computer in their house. In the second half of 2009, customers will be able to share content between two DVRs in the home, and in 2010 our Home Media Center will provide a true wholehome solution. The goal is to have all information and entertainment devices in a home connected to a central server that will provide seamless HD, DVR and other media services throughout the house.

The next year should be a lot of fun! :D

19. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    2007 Annual Report

And while the service side of the business
    made real strides in 2007, we still have much
    work to do. Improving this area is one of our
    top priorities for 2008. We simply will not be
    satis? ed until our overall customer experience
    is nothing less than stellar and is commen-
    surate with the sterling reputation of our
    brand.

2006 Annual Reaport

Our plans call for improving the customer
    experience at every stage of the customer
    lifecycle. It was certainly an honor to
    receive the highest score for customer
    satisfaction among satellite and cable
    companies from the American Customer
    Satisfaction Index in 2006. However, we
    still have much work to do in order to
    achieve the excellence our customers
    deserve.

2005 Annual Report

Even more exciting and innovative is our drive
    to move the video experience beyond the traditional
    TV set. In January 2006, we announced landmark
    agreements with Intel and Microsoft that will allow
    our customers easy access to DIRECTV on PCs,
    laptops and handhelds. We were the first to offer
    live television in cars and in 2006, we will follow
    up that innovation with a number of new mobile
    products that meet consumers’ increasing demand
    for video on-the-go.

While much of the excitement and press coverage
    in our industry revolves around new initiatives in
    technology and content, the area that is second to
    none in importance is service. When you ask a cus-
    tomer what they value most in a TV service, the
    answer is invariably reliability, convenience, honesty
    and fairness. We need DIRECTV to represent the
    gold standard in customer service for television.
    While we are the industry leader in service, we
    are not where we need to be and this will be an area
    of enormous focus in 2006.

2004 Annual Report

Perhaps the most exciting development will be the year-end launch of
    the DIRECTV Home Media Center to provide whole-house connectivity
    with all multimedia systems, along with mobility for devices outside the
    home. Content in a variety of forms — digitally recorded video, photos
    and music — will be accessible from every networked TV in the house.
    Through a broadband connection, the DIRECTV Home Media Center
    will support personal computer connectivity, scheduling of DVR
    recordings from the Internet, photos from wireless phones,
    video-on-demand and many other features.

2003 Annual Report
    Service excellence must be another hallmark for DIRECTV. While DIRECTV is recognized as a leader in customer service, we still have much room for improvement. Our call centers, installers, Web sites and other services can—and will—be much better.
    At DIRECTV, we will make service excellence a goal second to none.
    We want DIRECTV to be the best

20. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    ken .. I believe that the Customer Service has improved every year. Is it enough? I don't know, for me personally it's been very good in the Customer Service department .. but I do realize that doesn't translate to everyone. Either way, they should always strive to do better, right?