1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV 4k Dropouts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by narucat, Apr 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Apr 4, 2018 #1 of 22
    narucat

narucat New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Just got 4k hooked up - I have several TVs (TCL/LG OLED) that all accept 4k HDR signals, however the signal from the C61K drops out often and randomly on ch 104. (note I'm running UHD blur-rays with full dolby vision/HDR10 and no dropouts, so HDMI cables, TVs, AVRs, are not the issue).

The sat receivers updated software to the latest over the weekend, but I wasn't able to see how 4k was prior to the update.

I've checked signal on the HR54s and it looks good (well no 110° but i think that's normal).

Anyone seeing the same issues? I can share a movie if anyone is interested...

2. Apr 4, 2018 #2 of 22
    Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Join the club.
    I have an LG B6P
    I don’t watch much 104 but a lot of sports on 106 with similar issues. Picture will freeze or drop out.
    I do have 50’ HDMI cable runs rated at 18GBps but they’re not fiber optic.
    However I can watch 4K Dolby Vision & HDR discs from my Oppo 205 and programming from my Apple 4K TV without any hiccups at all through the same cable, yet still issues with the C61K.

narucat likes this.
  3. Apr 4, 2018 #3 of 22
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    FWIW ...

I've had three recent service calls for different issues lately. And while here all the techs. gave me two recommendations for now ranked by their highest rate of call-backs and complaints from customers.

1) Do not upgrade to the Genie 2 yet.

2) And do not upgrade to 4K yet either, at least via the C61K.

As neither of the above is really ready for primetime.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

narucat likes this.
  4. Apr 4, 2018 #4 of 22
    narucat

narucat New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    !!!

I'm using several 2M-3M cables about to go to fry's and get a 1M'...

lol, yeah this is pretty apparent. :(

5. Apr 4, 2018 #5 of 22
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

Maybe the HS17 is the HR34 of the new line? If so hopefully the HS27 is close...

6. Apr 4, 2018 #6 of 22
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh, and just for clarification in case some may misunderstand ...

When I said earlier "don't upgrade to 4K yet," the techs. were naturally referring to DIRECTV's 4K service of course.

And not an upgrade to a 4K TV ...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

7. Apr 5, 2018 #7 of 22
    HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    Sorry to hear you are having this issue. I am also experiencing the same annoying video dropouts. They have been occurring since mid December on all 4K channels (104-106). I have been posting and documenting this issue since January 2nd (4K Video Dropout Thread).

Here’s what I have learned. The video dropouts seem to be specific to certain models of 4K smart TVs. The video dropouts occur on my Sony OLED XBR-A1E, and I have also seen the same video dropouts on a Sony XBR900D. From your post some LG models can be added to the list.

I have had three service calls to the house with technicians and supervisors to document and fix the dropout issue. My house was completely rewired. All cabling, LNB, and all equipment (HR54 Genie and C61K Clirent) were replaced. The 4K video (live and recorded viewing) dropouts continue.

To further troubleshoot, I coordinated simultaneously recording a 4K showing of “The Bachelor King” with a friend. The video dropouts occurred at exactly the same time (and in the same manner) on both receivers in two different cities.

I downloaded a Directv 4K movie (Internet On Demand - not Channel 105), and was able to watch the 2:25 movie without any dropout issues. This would seem to indicate that the problem is most likely a satellite transmission issue.

I emailed a detailed description of the issue (complete with multiple videos documenting the dropouts) to the Mastec supervisor, who said he would forward the documentation to his contacts at Directv.

My last service call was almost a month ago. I called Directv yesterday to again complain about this unresolved issue. Unfortunately, the 4K video dropout issue is still not appearing on the national “known issues list” provided to Directv Mastec service technicians. It is obviously not being taken seriously.

I expressed my frustration and again reported in detail the referenced issue.
    I was promised that the incident report would be forwarded to the appropriate department for further investigation. It’s doubtful, but perhaps someone will take this report seriously.

narucat likes this.
  8. Apr 5, 2018 #8 of 22
    narucat

narucat New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I'm in another city today, and watched the masters for about 10 minutes (ch 105) on the same LG OLED (C7) with a 20' HDMI cable from an Onkyo receiver. No dropouts. :mad:

Your point about recording a 4k sat transmission and the dropouts happening exactly the same time in different cities do seem to indicate a satellite transmission issue. Trust me, our cabling infrastructure and or TVs are not the issue :)

At least we're not alone...:(

9. Apr 5, 2018 #9 of 22
    HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    Yeah, the 4K video dropouts are intermittent. On one occasion I experienced 3 dropouts in 10 minutes. The longest time that I have gone without a video dropout is about 56 minutes.

I have been watching Masters coverage (alternating between 105/106) for about two hours. I have seen a complete video freeze (for about 5 seconds), and two video dropouts this afternoon.

10. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I have an HS17, and I'm not experiencing any of these issues. I am using Toslink audio because my receiver can't handle 4k yet.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I’ve also seen the dropouts on 104.

12. seern

seern Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    I have been getting the drop out on my 2015 Samsung with gets its feed through my Yami receiver. Also can confirm the intermittent nature of them. When watching the Masters could go 30 -40 minutes without one then get 2 in 15 minutes. All cables are up to date to feed 4K between units. I have my HR54 and C61K feeding through separate inputs on the Yami so can switch back and forth between the same feeds, the one shown on the mix channels and the one with 4K, they are exactly the same cameras just down ressed on the mix to HD. Never got a dropout on the HD feed. Another point here, I have stepped back through the dropouts and the picture and sound are there. If I go back past where the dropout began it will do it again. If I just go back part way and then move forward, the video now plays fine. To me this seems to point to an issue in the equipment and not the feed. I was watching the 4K feed last night of the Boston vs Yankees game and had no dropouts. Don't know if it was connected but the Samsung go a new firmware update yesterday.

13. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    I have tried this many times for other HD programming (not 4K) whenever I see video freezing on the C61K. Every time I've done this, and re winded to where the freezing occurred, the video would always play fine. I never tried this for 4K programming though.

14. seern

seern Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Update: Watched last night's Boston - Yankees game and had several dropouts during the whole game. They came about 45 minutes apart.

15. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I was getting them quite frequently with HS17 system. I just downgraded (or maybe it's upgraded) to HR54. I'm curious to see if anything changes. Only had time to watch a few minutes of the Yankees/Sox game before it rained and it was fine, but not enough viewing yet to judge.

16. RichardL

RichardL Cool Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Add me to the list, with an LG W7, 6ft HDMI from an HS17/C61K, all new equipment and cables (including new dish and wiring). Once or twice an hour I get the dropouts on 104

17. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    Me too. DTV tech came two days ago and swapped out my HR24s for an HR54 and C61 so I could get DIRECTV 4K on my new LG C7 OLED. From the get go, ch 104 would occasionally go black for a moment and come back on. This morning I woke to find that new firmware had been downloaded and installed giving me, among other things, the "new look" guides and menus. The 4K problem has changed a bit and has gotten worse. Tonight, the pic is not going black but it, as well as the audio, freezes or stutters about every second or so. My DIRECTV 4K is now totally unwatchable. No problem with the 1080 HD channels. I have reset the C61 but not the HR54 yet. I will try that in the morning (it's late!). From what I've read so far, the chance of resets fixing the problem are probably pretty slim. If resets do not work I will call DTV just to get the problem documented on my account. I don't hold much hope for a quick fix from them. Hopefully they recognize and are working the issue and will get it straightened out before 4K replaces 1080 and becomes the norm. In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy 4K from Netflix, Amazon & Hulu.

Probably not related and should be in a different post, but it seems that after the new firmware, it takes forever, well maybe not forever, but a good 5-7 seconds, to get a picture to come in after selecting any new channel in the guide

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've had my C61K-700 since June 2016. I started experiencing the black flash issue on 4K channels when my C61K-700 was upgraded to 0x0fba in December 2017. It was upgraded to 0x0fbf on 10 April 2018 but the issue continues. The problem may be a interaction issue between the software in the C61K-700 and the software in our 4K HDTVs. As for channel changing speeds your settings and setup will effect that. The fastest way to change channels with your DIRECTV remote is by entering the channel numbers followed by pressing ENTER. I have a HR54-200 connected to a C61K-700 connected to a Sony STR-ZA5000ES AVR connected to a Sony XBR-55X900C 4K HDTV. NATIVE is set to ON. My channel changing speeds are...HD to HD 3 to 4 seconds......HD to SD 4 to 5 seconds......SD to SD 4 to 5 seconds......HD to 4K 4 to 5 seconds......SD to 4K 5 to 6 seconds......4K to 4K 3 to 4 seconds.

mjg likes this.
  19. mjg

mjg New Member

May 13, 2013
    WI
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check my settings and try using the "Enter" button.

20. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am watching the Astros-Yankees 4k game right now and there have been multiple dropouts. Right now, it has been out for 25 secs. The HD channel (213) is fine.