1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV 7S Launch Eyed for May

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Sea Launch is preparing for its next mission, the launch of the DirecTV 7S broadcast satellite, for a flight that will take place from the equatorial waters of the Pacific Ocean sometime in May.

Earlier this month, the satellite was delivered by manufacturer Space Systems Loral to Sea Launch's processing facility in Long Beach, Calif. The Sea Launch Web site stated that departure of the Odyssey Launch Platform will take place in April, and should arrive at the Pacific launch site sometime during that month. Launch of DirecTV 7S is expected in May, the Web site said.

DirecTV 7S is set to reside in the satellite TV company's orbital location at 119 degrees. The second spot beam satellite in the DirecTV fleet, DirecTV 7S will deliver local channels to more than 60 markets, including 41 new local channel markets.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

2. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Can anyone tell me if when the new bird goes up, if any of the local channels currently at 101 will be moved? i.e. Chicago locals?

I'd hate to have to purchase a new dish/receiver/equipment. I'm pretty happy with what I have, and don't have a desire to change anytime soon.

3. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I get my "locals" from E* but I do get nationals from D*. Would D* be obligated to install one of the bigger dishes as E* was required? and for free?

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Chicago won't move. If you check the http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalChannelsAction.do link look for the cities listed associated with this footnote (like Richmond):

‡In this area, a DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System is required. However, local channels are temporarily available using any DIRECTV System.

5. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Great! Thank you for the info. :D

6. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    A launch "Sometime in May". Which replaces the previous "deadline" of May 2, which replaced "April", which replaced "early 04" which replaced "Dec 31 03", which replaced "Nov 03", which replaced "Oct 03" which replaced "Sept 03", which replaced "Aug 03", which replaced "Jul 30 03", which replaced "Summer 03", which replaced "June 03", which replaced "Spring 03".

Which means locals in 41 markets, several of which are STILL not listed on the LRF list, sometime in July, THEN the equipment swapouts begin. Assuming the blank spaces on the LRF list are just typos, and that every local in every market is signed up properly, as DirecTV claims. Sure.

Whatever.

7. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    yes "coming in 2nd quarter" now replaces what stood before. WOW! that really narrows the launch date down, not! I'm am sick of them changing the date every month or so, aren't you? next we will see "coming in summer" or "coming in July". why don't they go ahead and post "coming sometime in the next few years" or "planned for a super delayed launch", then they would not have to change it all the time. are you sick of this also? :nono2:

8. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I remember people that got DirecTv and decided to stay with the system instead of getting Dish Network said that they were getting their locals at the beginning of April. If they would have known that it would have taken longer they would have already went with Dish Network a while back. This must be DirecTv's way of trying to keep some of its customers or to convince them to go ahead and get it.

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The grass may not be greener over on E*. While E* looks like they're taking care of new customers, existing folks are being told they have to wait months for new hardware, such as SuperDish if they just got locals, or an 811 receiver. Existing customers can't even get a 522 PVR, only new.

I can agree that folks are upset that D* kept pushing back the date. But my understanding was that Lorel was the problem due to the satellite being late. The latest delay was because the previous deployment of the same model had problems after launch. Wouldn't you rather have a bird that's been corrected or one that is dead and you have to wait a couple of more years?

10. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    I guess the point is that no company should make their customers have to wait for an extended amount of time for something that they keep falsely promising to the the consumer. that would be like E* setting a public date on their website as to when more 811's or 921's would be available, and keep moving back for over 2 years, month by month, not releasing any new comments on the situation, plus not trying to really do anything about it, then blaming it on their manufacturing team for taking so long because there were so many bugs in the software, then at the end of it, saying would you just rather wait until we come up with a new version to replace the 811. see what I'm saying?

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    For the 921 they did! You don't know how many Charlie Chats folks tuned into and kept being told a new date for the 921. Even now, since it was 'released' in December folks still can't get them, the last news is that they're on hold for a hardware fix.

12. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    You know, I have both... a 501, 6000u and a 2700 for a backup for E*. A 4 year old Hughes reciever-active, 2 old rca's inactive and a phillips inactive. I have been thinking the last few days about programming coming up. When the hdtivo hits I might have to switch the bulk of my programming back to D* as they have the sunday ticket and last year is the first year I have not gotten it since it started on B.u.d. years ago plus the fact of having more hd and enhanced games is making D* look better... Unless E* can get 921 up and running soon. E* has my "locals" D* will not untill this sat is active.

13. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Exactly. DirecTV just quietly pushes back the "deadlines" for 7S's launch and thus its actual use, generally in a left-handed way or by quietly changing info on its website and/or channel 999 (which often contradict one another).

During the whole debacle, DirecTV has done NOTHING for the consumer at all, except a lame promise in the now broken April 04 promise of "one month free", which is what they ALWAYS give EVERY market ANYWAY. Which would only apply if you already have the proper equipment.

At a minimum, DirecTV should:

- provide a legitimate token (at least 3 months free locals or some PPVs or a month of HBO) to all customers in these markets.

- honestly explain a hard date DIRECTLY to customers via a dedicated channel.

- get the equipment swaps done N O W . A friend of mine has DISH. DISH launched in this market in January. She called on DAY ONE for a DISH swap out. It has been rescheduled three times, each time via excuses that simply are lies. The installer simply is not going to accomodate current customers until he sells all he can to new people during the DirecTV dead period. Her last call to DISH HQ, the CSR told her to "just shut up and wait, (because she had) NY-LA waivers anyway" and to "call back in October, when there would be plenty of room on the calendar". I doubt DirecTV's swap out (I did mine myself already) will be much more compentent.

- The need to get the LRF and the contracts done, if they are not; and get them listed on the LRF page if they are; or be honest that several (I count 7) of these markets are not launching with the sat, or at all.

14. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    DirecTV had said 1Q of 2003 for new locals (ie new satellite would be ready).... Then it became 2Q, then 3Q, and so on.... As petty as it seems, that's *one* of the reasons I switched from DTV to E*.

15. dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
    Ummm... it was hard for DirecTV not to push the launch back since Loral didn't build the satellite on schedule. And then when the last satellite launched by SeaLaunch failed to properly deploy a solar panel, again, it's not exactly like DirecTV had much choice about the ensuing delay. Choosing Loral in the first place might be one thing you could fault DirecTV for.

16. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    I wonder if this means we'll get additional channels that DirecTV should be carrying but isn't. Among them: HBO Comedy, HBO Zone, Action Max, Thriller Max, Starz! Cinema, Starz! Family, Showtime Beyond, TMC Xtra, which are premiums; Tennis, GOL TV, Great American Country, Style Network, Ovation, Goodlife Television, Nickelodeon Games and Sports, NickToo, BET Jazz, MTV and VH1 suites, C-Span3, the International Channel, which are nonpremiums and niche programming.

17. I contacted DirecTV via email just to vent my frustration over not getting my locals when promised. A CSR ended up calling me to discuss it. In the end, I ended up getting a free year of locals, once they do arrive.
    It does pay to complain once in a while, but you have to be sincere and nice about it. I made it a point to say that I understand the delays but didn't appreciate the fact that I switched to satellite solely based on them getting locals.

18. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    7s is only for locals, but those channels may get put up onto the the existing sats when D* moves other locals off them to 7s.

19. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    What explains the missing seven markets in the LRF list? Either DirecTV is lying and really does not have everything ready but for the sat launch, or its is incompentent in that its LRF list is wrong.

Since I am in one of the markets left off the LFR list, I am assuming that I will never get my locals via DirecTV and have been lied to.

So far, nothing has happened to prove me wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.