DirecTV actively trying to lose customers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Richard, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1 of 26
    Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I ordered the BlizzCON 2016 PPV on 11/01/2016 (same as I do every year since they first started offering it.

11/01/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX BlizzCon 2016 HD Day1Day2-LIVE - Charge $39.99 $2.50

on Day 1, The first 45 minutes of the opening ceremony was only available in SD, the HD Channel (the channel I had the recording setup on), just showed the DirecTV logo for the first 45 minutes. SO I missed most of the opening ceremony.

Today, Day 2, my receiver is prompting me to purchase the event, acting like I hadn't purchased it. So, for the first time in like 10 years, I have to call DirecTV (HUGE MISTAKE).

The first CSR I talk to, says they can help, that they have activated the PPV and it would be no charge. I check my online account to make sure and find the following:

11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX Phone Transaction Fee - Charge $5.00 $0.31
    11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX BlizzCon 2016 HD Day2 ONLY-LIV - Charge $39.99 $2.50

SO, I have to call in again, to get the charges that the first CSR said would not be made.

They did reverse the charges:

11/05/2016 Phone Transaction Fee - Fee CR ($5.00) ($0.31)
    11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX BlizzCon 2016 HD Day2 ONLY-LIV - PPV CR ($39.99) ($2.50)

BUT, they also changed my package (without my permission or knowledge):

11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX Advanced Receiver-HD - Disconnect Adj ($5.33) ($0.33)
    11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX Advanced Receiver-HD - Charge $5.33 $0.33
    11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK - Disconnect Adj ($2.66) ($0.17)
    11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX HBO, STARZ!, SHOWTIME, & CINEMAX - Disconnect Adj ($28.79) ($1.80)
    11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC - Disconnect Adj ($45.06) ($2.82)
    11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX Premium Customer - Charge $0.00 $0.00
    11/05/2016 XXXXXXXXXXX PREMIER - Charge $77.33 $4.83

I called back in and asked to speak to someone higher up this time, because I have no intention of letting a first level CSR make changes to my account ever again. Stuck on hold for 30 minutes I gave up.

I am very close to just cancelling my account, this is totally unacceptable. The CSR should not have charged me again for a PPV I have already paid for, and then charged me the $5 phone based PPV charge as well? The second CSR should not have been able to change my package without my knowledge or permission.

How do I contact someone who is trustworthy at DirecTV?

2. Nov 5, 2016 #2 of 26
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    First I don't know what ppv that is at all.

Second I'm guessing the first thing was yesterday in the morning? They had major guide data issues and it probably screwed everything up for you and all this is a result of a technical problem that lasted several hours.

And no they aren't actively trying to lose customers.

No idea why your package was changed. Bad luck with csr probably.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #3 of 26
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have no idea what Blizzcon is, but I recall seeing something like that around channel 120 yesterday in the list of channels that were screwed up.

4. Nov 5, 2016 #4 of 26
    Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    BlizzCon is an annual event which is a convention for video game fans which is produced by Blizzard Entertainment, which is a division of Activision Blizzard and is pretty their version of the E3 convention and the San Diego Comic Con

1 person likes this.
  5. Nov 5, 2016 #5 of 26
    Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    OK, before I go through the hassle of trying to get them to revert my package (something they will probably say can't be done), what all is included in the Premier package? Does it include anything that I was paying for separately (I know the premiums are included, but is anything else, for example, are any of the equipment services included)? Would I actually be saving money by staying with the Premium package?

DIRECTV Channels
    1. CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC 84.49
    2. HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME and CINEMAX 53.99
    3. DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK 4.99
    SUBTOTAL 143.47

DIRECTV Equipment Services
    4. Watch DIRECTV on Multiple TVs 21.00
    4 TVs at $7 each; Save $7 off 1st TV
    5. Advanced Receiver Service - HD 10.00
    6. Advanced Receiver Service - DVR 10.00
    7. DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service 3.00
    8. Mobile DVR Service 0.00
    Complimentary
    SUBTOTAL 44.00

Other Charges, Adjustments & Taxes
    9. Regional Sports Fee 3.63

Looks like the Premier package is: $144.99 /mth
    What I was paying for both Choice Xtra Classic & the Premiums totaled: $138.48 /mth

6. Nov 5, 2016 #6 of 26
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I believe there a few more channels That aren't in xtra but I can't recall for sure.

7. Nov 5, 2016 #7 of 26
    poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    No, none of the equipment charges is included, nor the HD Extra Pack. so yes you will be paying more than you were. There are more channels, but whether there are any that you would watch, I don't know. You can go on line to the page where you change your package to compare. However your old Choice Xrtra Classic will no longer be listed. Best you can do is compare to the Extra which is pretty close to the old Choice Xrtra Classic and see if the new channels are worth the extra $6 or so.

FWIW, when I changed from the Choice Xrtra Classic to the Extra (Extra was $3 cheaper and had 10 more channels, and I only lost 2 that I never watched anyway) they said I had 30 days to switch back. Whether that is true or not I don't know.

8. Nov 5, 2016 #8 of 26
    HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    It's weird that they would change your package. If your premier is that close in price I'd stick with that. To get your issue fixed ask to speak to tech support. They should be able to reinstate the old package pretty easily. With the expired package you're on a time limit.

Sent from my LG K7 using Tapatalk

9. Nov 7, 2016 #9 of 26
    Spoonman27

Spoonman27 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Based on my interactions with Directv since ATT took over they don't care about giving customers good service. Every call is a 15 minute boondoggle combination of hold and "waiting for the computer" just to remove showtime etc.

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    How many times have you removed showtime?

11. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I called last week to see if Uverse internet had any discounts. They said I could upgrade to a higher line and I would get a discount. I said no thanks. Next thing I know, my DirectTV and Internet were put into combined billing. I didn't authorize them to do that. I did get a $5.00 discount for internet. However, my d* bill which gets charged to my card, on the 3rd and billing said it would be included in the next billing cycle in Dec. This billing cycle only shows internet. I can only imagine what my bill will look like when they add D* to my statement which will include November's bill.

Now every time I try to sign on to D* website, it takes me to att and I can't see any of my past D* statements.

If ony Dish would upgrade from HD lite to full HD, I would dump Direct tV in a heartbeat.

I wish there was a way I could check out VUE. It would be nice if Sony would add it to my BD player or Samsung to my Smart TV so I can check them out.

12. hahler2

hahler2 AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    I too am questioning AT&T's customer service. I have wireless through them and have always had an excellent experience anytime I needed to talk to someone. So when it came time to sign up for a pay TV provider (I've been a cord cutter) I thought I would get Directv since I already have AT&T wireless. Called AT&T and placed my order for a Genie, genie mini, and the Xtra package. Everything went smoothly and got my install date set for next Friday.

Then I started reading on here about RVU and Directv Ready as they call it now. I noticed the TV that I was going to install the Mini on is RVU capable. So I called into Directv to talk to them and see what the price difference would be for RVU and if there was a difference for install. Of course the automated system kicked me over to AT&T. Of course AT&T had no idea what I was talking about and assured me that the only way I could have service on my 2nd TV was to add a Genie Mini client. There was no way to directly connect to the TV. They also informed me that if I wanted a wireless Genie Mini that that would be a free upgrade. Which I thought that was a 99 dollar upgrade? I called 3 different times thinking that maybe if I played CSR roulette I would get one that would know what they were talking about. Same answer all 3 times. No such thing as RVU or Directv Ready. So now I'm really nervous about signing up for Directv and wondering if I should cancel my order. How can they offer proper customer service when they don't even know the product they are trying to prodvide service for!? Is there any way to bypass the automated system and actually talk to someone at Directv instead of AT&T? I called the 1-800-531-5000 number.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    As a new customer, aren't you getting the install for free?

Installing one of your TVs as an RVU or using the mini isn't that much of a difference (connection wise).

Many here recommend using the mini instead of the RVU; same interface as your other TV with the Genie and you only have to get updates from DIRECTV. If you have one TV using RVU, you have to wait for that manufacturer to make updates. Some here have stated that after a few years, those TV manufacturers aren't too keen on updating an older set -- they want you to buy a new TV.

The Mini and RVU will both cost you $7 per month for hooking up that second TV.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Is always best to leave the technical details to the tech. Not surprised that the sales team at ATT doesn't know anything about RVU.

But as mentioned above, you are better off with a DIRECTV client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  15. hahler2

hahler2 AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    Yes and that's what I figured as well. I'm just a very thorough (some would say anal) person. Wanted to make sure I completely research all options before I commit to anything. I was merely commenting as to my experience so far with customer service since the merger.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, even when the tech is there you don't have to commit. If you don't like the options given you cab just cancel on the spot without penalty.

1 person likes this.
  17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I've had more wrong/incorrect/inaccurate/false information from DIRECTV CSRs than correct information. It has been that way for years.

My only dealings with new combine AT&T/DIRECTV CSRs was OK. I can't attribute any of my bad experiences to AT&T. And I'd love to do that. I don't like them. We had their internet, land line and wireless. One-by-one their Customer Service 'skills' got us to the point to change providers and eliminate AT&T from our house.

And right now, I'm upset about NFL ST Short Cuts not available on TV and the termination of the GenieGo in favor of the MobileDVR. But again, were these AT&T decisions or DIRECTV?

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Plans to kill GenieGo was on place before the acquisition of DIRECTV by AT&T

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Like I said, as much as I dislike AT&T and would love to blame them for some of the issues, I don't know if they are to blame. The GenieGo ending was announced to us in Nov/Dec 2015 time-frame, but there must have been development of MobileDVR long before that. And AT&T only took over in July 2015.

20. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    But WHY directv is not continuing support for those who have laptops to play your recorded programs "out of home" service? I can watch the programs on my smart phone, but I would like to have a bigger screen that is available on my laptop.