1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV adds HD Locals in Jackson, MS

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Greg Alsobrook, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1 of 28
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I'm receiving word this morning that DIRECTV has turned on HD locals in Jackson, MS.

WLBT-NBC, WJTV-CBS, WAPT-ABC, and WDBD-FOX should now be in HD.

Can any of our members confirm? Thanks guys.

2. Oct 7, 2009 #2 of 28
    lindsley

lindsley New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Yes, Direct TV now has locals in HD in Jackson, MS. They are

NBC- Channel 3
    CBS- Channel 12
    ABC- Channel 16
    PBS- Channel 29
    Fox- Channel 40

and Channel 34 shows in setup as HD but don't know if thney have any HD programming

3. Oct 7, 2009 #3 of 28
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    It may be an SD MPEG4 copy of the MPEG2 signal; don't you guys get your SD locals now with a 2nd 18" dish?

4. Oct 7, 2009 #4 of 28
    lindsley

lindsley New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Have always gotten SD locals. The channel 34 I am referring to is a CW channel with the call letters of WRBJ. I just don't know if CW broadcasts any shows in HD because I never watch that network.

5. Oct 7, 2009 #5 of 28
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Uh yea, I already knew that; I was just asking about the dish that...oh never mind... :confused:

Yes, most of the CW network itself IS in HD; can't speak for the local prog this station shows.

6. Oct 7, 2009 #6 of 28
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Yes, D* launched Jackson, MS this morning at 6:00am EST. 134 DMAs are now launched in HD, representing 91% of tv households.

7. Oct 7, 2009 #7 of 28
    Dirk

Dirk AllStar

Sep 15, 2007
    Does anyone know if we are ever going to get any locals on the MS coast at all? I'll even take SD locals. Just something.

8. Oct 7, 2009 #8 of 28
    JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez Legend

May 9, 2008
    Festivus, thanks D*.

9. Oct 7, 2009 #9 of 28
    SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    FOX 40 does not work on my HR20-100 (blank screen, no sound). It works fine on my HR22-100. Anyone else seeing this problem? A reset causes FOX 40 to work until I change channels - then when I return to FOX 40 it is blank again.

10. dcooke

dcooke Cool Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Jackson, MS serves as my Neighboring locals. Should i receive these in HD or will they continue to be SD only?

11. uswebworx

uswebworx Cool Member

Apr 16, 2009
    HD was working, survivor however is not in HD tonight???????

12. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    I didn't think CBS broadcasts Survivor in HD. I could be wrong.

13. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    Survivor was in HD tonight. I recorded it off of the new HD local and watched it. Keep in mind that if you have any series previously set to record on the local channels, you will have to delete them and re-add them using the HD channel. Otherwise, it will continue to record the standard def channel.

14. Gonesouth

Gonesouth Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    I get WLBT here in Lafayette, LA. Why do I not get this channel in HD? This is my local NBC affiliate, and they never have a problem turning down my HD request for getting distant HD.

Thanks

15. sarhaynes

sarhaynes AllStar

Dec 10, 2006
    I've been complaining about this issue in C'Ville, VA on my H20-100 for about 2 years now. Somehow if you scan for channels and find ones that D* doesn't know about the Hx20-100 boxes seem to get confused. My HR20-700 does not have this problem. If you change channels in one direction I get one channel if I change it another direction I get a different channel.

16. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    These idiots can't even give us the 2 locals we're already entitled to and that have been on the system for years. (WKRG-CBS and WPMI-NBC). If they were to ever get around to adding Gulfport/Biloxi (which I doubt will ever happen) then all these idiots would give us would be WXXV and WLOX. (which is why it probably never will happen since they can't seem to realize that radio waves cross state lines and some people legally receive channels from more than one market) :nono2:

17. Baldmaga

Baldmaga Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    Because they don't want to I guess.

18. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Apparently DirecTV only offers channels from other significantly viewed markets IF they carry your locals. So they'd have to carry Biloxi locals first before they'd offer the Mobile-Pensacola stations.

Yeah, it's stupid. At my Mississippi address I should be able to get NBC from Tupelo and Jackson (HD) but since they don't carry the Greenwood market, we don't get jack. Nor do we get PBS HD. It's weird.

19. BNut

BNut Cool Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I also live in Lafayette, LA and am very curious. If I'm getting an NBC feed that is from Jackson, MS, when there are 3 NBC affiliates about 60 to 75 miles from where I live (WVLA out of Batron Rouge and KPLC out of Lake Charles and KALB out of Alexandria) why I can't at least get the WLBT feed in HD instead of SD?

Are local HD feeds only done via "spot beam" or whatever its called? Does anyone know if Lafayette, LA is close enough to receive Baton Rouge's "spot beam" for its local HD channels?

Thanks,
    Brian

20. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    It would appear that WLBT SD is on the same spotbeam and transponder as some of the other Lafayette locals. Presumably, the Baton Rouge spot does not provide sufficient coverage of the Lafayette DMA. DirecTV does not provide locals to Lake Charles or Alexandria (yet), so these are not possible alternatives.

HD locals are on a different satellite than SD locals, and the spot beams are configured differently. Thus, the Jackson HD local spot beam may or may not cover all of the Lafayette area. Regardless, DirecTV couldn't import an HD local from another market but not provide that market's HD locals.

All HD locals are on spot beams with the exception of the big four networks from NY and LA which serve as DNS network channels. Unfortunately, the spot beam maps we have for DirecTV are quite limited, and it is difficult to say whether or not the Baton Rouge spot beam covers Lafayette. We do know that Baton Rouge's HD locals are on the 99 sat, transponder 16, so your signal strength on that transponder might give you the answer.