DirecTV alternate world news

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ZandarKoad, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1 of 11
    ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad Mentor

Oct 25, 2009
    What does DirecTV have for world and US news from a foreign perspective (in English)? Dish has RT and CCTV. Anything like that on DirectTV (withOUT having to upgrade to an international package)?

2. Nov 8, 2014 #2 of 11
    r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    Channel 2119 CCTVN is available without international dish :grin:

3. Nov 8, 2014 #3 of 11
    trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The title of this thread makes me think you're looking for something like Confederate Network News (from an alternate world in which the South won the Civil War). I don't think we'll have that until DirecTV figures out how to get channels from parallel universes.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nov 8, 2014 #4 of 11
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    There is none a Roku would be a better solution if you have internet.

5. Nov 8, 2014 #5 of 11
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    CCTV-News is available with a dish that can receive 119
    BBC World News has newscasts that air on BBC America and many PBS stations
    Al Jazeera America carries several newscasts from Al Jazeera English during the day and overnight
    CNN simulcasts CNN International overnight

As for RT, I wouldn't use it for anything involving Russia, it's the network where some anchors quit on air because of being told what NOT to cover.

6. Nov 8, 2014 #6 of 11
    SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Unfortunately FiOS is a better option for that with things like BBC World News, CNN International, AJ and several others, not to mention several other US oriented networks.

7. Nov 8, 2014 #7 of 11
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Although I agree about what is being said about RT (in that it is a Russian propaganda network that isn't any better then Fox news here), their international news coverage is actually quite good. Al Jazeera English has excellent news coverage and isn't as colored as some might believe.

I also think that the American "news" channels are nothing more then political outlets for the political side they feel closest aligned with, its all just talking heads discussing mostly political, and otherwise controversial, sensational topics that draw in viewers. Much of the news that is actually happening in the world is actually simply not covered. Fox news is too busy slamming Obama, MSNBC is too busy defending him, and CNN is jumping sides every week. But actual news? The only time that happens is when there is big Breaking News.

I dropped DirecTV altogether and went with Internet only. I watch online news bulletins now, and if there is breaking news, there are plenty of online streams to be found covering it.

2 people like this.
  8. Nov 8, 2014 #8 of 11
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Are sure that half the channels on directv are not from a parallel universe?

9. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    Link TV also shows a lot of feeds of different international news networks throughout the day.

10. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    DirecTV has long needed BBC World News. That channel is available on Verizon Fios, Comcast and many other providers. It's a shame they won't add it

1 person likes this.
  11. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    The operative word being "available". Nothing basic offers it on Comcast.

I have only Comcast available for broadband; so, they pull their usual hustle of offering cable TV to get a couple bucks off Web access - and they count me like so many others as a TV subscriber. Hogwash.

I normally leave the cable box unhooked. Why feed another wall wart? They just sent me a new upgraded box which I hooked in and wasted hours getting authorized. Searched the paucity of channels for a few minutes to see if anything useful was available.

Nada, nuttin' honey.

Unplugged it.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk