Directv Alternatives in Salt Lake

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ajiuO, Jul 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jul 7, 2010 #1 of 16
    ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    Can anyone recommend any directv alternatives in salt lake.

I would like HDDVR's multi room would be great

I have been a directv customer for over 10 years and have never received a single discount from them... even as a new customer.

late last month I called directv to order a second HDDVR. I agreed to pay them $99.00 witch I guess is half off. When I received it. It looked as though someone had dropped it out of a window. When I called directv they told me that 99% of their receivers are refurbished and that if I activated it it should still work. I told them that there is no way I was going to activate that receiver. Even at half off 99$ is a lot to pay for LEASED equiptments that has dents and scratches all over it. The money that they charge up front should go to restoring equipment to like new condition... no one wants to look at an ugly scratched up dvr sitting under their TV.

Well they finally agreed to send me a replacement... I got the replacement today and guess what.... not only was it all scratched up but it wasn't even an HDDVR... It was an H20... and on top of that they didn't send a return label for the first one. I called up again and the first guy in the tech department seemed really knowledgeable and told me that he would have an installer come out and give me a receiver, and take the 2 that they had mailed me... then bam! I got hung up on. The second lady had me on hold for about 45 minutes and then finally transferred me to another lady who offered to mail me another one. I told her to cancel the order, bill me back the 99$, and send me shipping labels to send the 2 receivers back.... then I ended up talking to another guy for 45 minutes to get that handled.

I am not committing to 2 years and paying 99$ for used equipment that looks like it came out of the dumpster... Someone else already payed an upfront fee for this equipment. I think it is ridiculous to keep charging customers an upfront fee for used equipment. If the equipment was new it would be understandable... I cant even imagine the people who pay 200$ for this crap. also this has been one of the most horrendous experiences I have ever had with any service... In the past I have always purchased my equipment from best buy... but they don't sale it any more.... seriously I have for the most part enjoyed Directv but they way they handle equipment leasing is a joke... So its time to move on...

any suggestions?

2. Jul 7, 2010 #2 of 16
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    That seems to becoming more common with leased equipment. My daughter signed up as a new customer with Comcast and I waited at her apartment for the installer. He brought the most beat up DVR and cable modem I had ever seen. I asked if he could get her another and he refused. The modem died within a couple of weeks and I bought her a new one. The DVR works but just looks awful. I can't imagine having a high end video system and a DVR that looks like a truck drove over it but that is what some companies are doing now a days. :(

3. Jul 7, 2010 #3 of 16
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm confused...Are you moving on from Directv or you want advice on how to move on with Directv?

4. Jul 7, 2010 #4 of 16
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Correction: that is what ALL TV service providers are doing. Customers are constantly demanding higher-end gear and lower and lower prices. As it is, folks complain that they have to pay $99 (a 50% discount from the normal $199) to lease a $500 HD-DVR. The TV providers came up with a solution: leasing receivers instead of selling them outright. But that means that the provider owns the receiver, not the customer. It also means that all of the used-but-still-working receivers will be sent back out and redeployed.

You can always call up DirecTV and purchase a receiver outright, and you'll get a nice new one. And you won't even have a commitment. Of course, you'll pay $500, but it will be new, and it will be yours. Otherwise, a leased receiver could be new or heavily used. And if it dies, it could be replaced with any equivalent model.

This is true of DirecTV, Dish, and nearly all of the cable companies...

5. Jul 7, 2010 #5 of 16
    Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    My suggestion is find a new HR24 from solid signal, amazon, etc (it will cost you more than $99 probably around $160-$180) and ask DirectTV to credit you the $99 discount they would have given you for the refurb unit. You will still be leasing but it will be a new dvr and it will not cost you $500.

6. Jul 7, 2010 #6 of 16
    kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Don't go with comcast, in the end you will pay more over time. If you live in an area that can get utopia I would go with that service. I know how you feel about paying for equipment but that is standard with all tv providers. I live in Ogden and have utopia for Internet and i have had the best customer with them. And utopia is funded by the state so you might as well take advantage of it. With utopia you get a selection of service providers.

7. Jul 7, 2010 #7 of 16
    ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    here is the thing.... I don't mind paying an upfront fee for a higher end leased receiver.... IF IT IS NEW.

here is how it works. DirecTV charges 199 +5$@24 month contract. Then they turn around and do the same thing with used equipment.

comcast may also have used equipment but they don't charge you an up front fee... and they also replace broken equiptment

I also have a hard time believing that an HR21 cost direcTV 500$ to manufacture. I can get a Tivo premier (does a lot more then an HR21) for 300 and it belongs to me :)

looking at comcast... they have all of the channels that I watch in HD... Im not sure if all of their channels are digital though... also the order of the channels is a mess compared to directv... one thing I like about directv is that the HD channels use the same channel number as the standard channels... and the SD can be disabled

I dont know getting the TIvo and going with comcast might be worth it... the tivo does a lot of cool things...

I will think about it

8. Jul 8, 2010 #8 of 16
    dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    As Battlezone stated the leased model is what companies are using nowadays, and it does make sense. With that being said, I think most would agree that the refurbishing process should include the asthetics of the receiver. Most consider D* service to be a higher quality service than cable, or many competitors. This image certainly diminishes when a "beat-up" box is sent...

I think D* would do well to improve on their refurbishment process. At the end of the day you're using the receiver for the electronics inside, but it's just not a good business practice to send beat-up receivers to the field. The PR gained from replacing the exterior casing would outweigh the cost involved (in my opinion.) One thing is clear, nobody I know would place such a box in their high-end home theater or even in a rarely used spareroom...

9. Jul 8, 2010 #9 of 16
    ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    I might just call directv and see if they will credit me the 99$ and buy the thing online

im really liking some of the features of this tivo thing though... i can move stuff to my iphone, netflix, youtube, multiroom with out having to have whole home dvr service.

that was another thing I asked about.... All I want to do is be able to share shows between my 2 HD DVR's but directv told me that I would have to replace my SD dvr's with hd non DVR receivers and only have one HD DVR.... I guess that would be nice for recording and playing back shows... but I want a DVR in every room for the pause live tv feature... and I have one tv that is not HD.... I only want to tvs to share and I want them both to be HD DVR's

10. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    DirecTV will replace any leased reciever if it breaks. and you don't have to drive to the cable company to do it. If you have the protection plan, it's free, if not, it cost $20 for 2 way shipping...

11. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    You can have all HD DVR's. and you can watch from any DVR to any other DVR so long as they are all HD DVR's. and you can hook up an HDDVR to a SD tv. no problem.... The monthly cost won't go up just because you do that either...

12. ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    are whole home dvr and multi room something different.. I'm confused now??

13. prospect60

prospect60 Legend

Aug 26, 2006

You definitely can have and share more than one DVR, some folks around here have up to 10 or 12 units. Only the R22 SD units is MRV compatible if I recall.

14. ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    I have an hr2x and it has multi room in the setup options

wouldn't i just need to have 2 receivers hooked up to my network and add the whole home dvr service???

15. prospect60

prospect60 Legend

Aug 26, 2006
    Hooking 2 appropriate units up to a network will work without the newer DECA setup though it is technically unsupported by DirectV. There is a thread in the Connected Subforum explaining how to activate MRV with an Ethernet. It seems to be easier with direct wired ethernet setups, some folks have reported some success with wireless.

Pretty much the same thing.

16. ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    you know what.. I am just going to order the damn thing online... I will call up Directv and see if I can work out some sort of credit or something for all the trouble they have given me... up until how I have always had a good experience with them.... I was really mad when I was talking to them today... but maybe we will give them a second chance.

the Tivo looks to be awesome... but I just don't think comcast has a quality service. I had Digital cable through them about 11 years ago and it was constantly pixilating :( I have rarely had service problems with directv... even during snow storms :)

I tried to call them just now but they are doing maintenance or something