1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV and Social Security numbers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jeffshoaf, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Slashdot has a posting from someone complaining about DirecTV's refusal to remove a customer's Social Security # from their account records: Slashdot post :eek2:

With the regular reports of security issues and dishonest folks stealing SS#'s from various companies' databases (as well as suspicions of unreported break-ins), how do you feel about DirecTV's requiring you to provide a SS# and retaining it even after you're no longer a customer?

2. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I dont even want them having my number my SS# when i am a customer!

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    There are so many bigger things to worry about IMO.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I just don't worry about these things. Just about every company has my social security number as it is. I don't like it but what can ya do.

I just keep an eye on my credit report monthly and monitor weird activity.

I'm more worried about the waiter taking my credit card where I can see it then I am about DirecTV having my SSN.

5. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    I trust DirecTV and who they decide to employ(And they goes for all the companies I deal with).

If I didn't why would I give them my SS number(And even do business with them in the first place!)

But I'm not dumb, that's why I monitor my credit report and get email alerts when any changes happen.

Life is to short to keep looking behind your back, just hope the business you deal with are honest and the people they employ are also honest(Which is all anyone can do).

6. morbid_fun

morbid_fun Godfather

Jan 16, 2007
    I trust DirecTV for now. I can go online and buy someone's information for a nominal fee. A person's refusal to give out his/her social security number is futile since just about everyone has that information anyways (car insurance, utilities, bank, etc.) and they do sell this information company to company.

7. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    If your worried, pay for lifelock.

8. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    That's what I do. Lifelock isn't perfect but it does work. It also saves you from yourself. One time I tried to open a new credit card but discovered I had to jump through hoops to get past lifelock. I gave up and realized I didn't need the card anyway. :)

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I just refused to give DirecTV my SSN. They don't need it and so I didn't give it to them. :)

10. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    It's not whether or not you trust the company you do business with -- it's a rougue hacker or lone disgruntled IT drone who can ruin it for everyone.

Everybody should check their credit reports annually to make sure nothing fishy is going on.

Also, all companies need to stop being lazy about using SSN for uniquely identifying custmers. Use another method. It's not rocket science.

11. wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    I won't give my SSN to anyone. Sure you can check your credit report for problems, but by the time you see it on there it's too late. The damage will be done and it will take months to fix it. Lifelock or similar programs do help. The problem is DirecTV is offering you "credit" (the box/dish/etc.) so they have a right to do a credit check. I'd still resist.....

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    DirecTV requires the SSN for a credit check. No other number will allow you to have a credit check run. If you don't want to give them one then you don't want the new customer offer for equipment which is your choice. To say that DirecTV has another option is incorrect. Just like any other company that has terms based on credit.

I would be scared if I called a company and asked a CSR to remove the SS # and they did. That means they would have access to change those numbers.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I didn't give them my SSN.
    I'm not getting a loan from DirecTV, so they don't need it.
    I gave them my credit card for any charges they might need.
    I think it's a myth that they would have to do a credit check for their service. I've never found a company that needed my SSN [other than lenders/banks, etc.].
    I believe DirecTV uses the SSN simply to keep track of return customers.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You signed up before national offers for free equipment if I recall correctly so you wouldn't have had to give them yours. So my point still stands.

People can refuse to give the SSN however they also pay a deposit and don't get free advanced equipment and only 2 standard receivers for free.

You never need to give a customer your social however it also doesn't let you get their best offers. People with good credit get trusted that's all it comes down to. Keeping track of fraud I'm sure is there as well.

The problem isn't with people having the last 4 of the SSN available it's the fact that people know the formula to create parts of the SSN which makes it very easy to duplicate with the right information which is public records.

15. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I don't know if they have to do a credit check, but they want to. In one of their quarterly reports it said are trying to sign customers with high Fico scores. That info comes from credit bureaus.

Utility companies will also ask for your SSN and run a bureau. That's how they determine if you are going to need a deposit. When I have changed electric providers, I have seen the inquiry show up on my credit report. Haven't checked all 3 bureau's, but DirecTV never showed up as an inquiry on my Equifax report.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I did signup long before the leased hardware came about and there wasn't "free" equipment.
    I still don't buy "the good credit get trusted" though. All of this can be [should be] covered by a credit card. It is is almost any other company I've dealt with.
    With the current lease program and "free" [leased] equipment, using a credit card will let DirecTV "check" what they need. If there is $1,000 worth of hardware they can get aproval [without charging the card]. If there becomes a problem with the account and the hardware isn't returned, then they charge the card [isn't this what they do anyway?].
    If someone doesn't have a credit card, then having DirecTV do a credit check, could make some sense, but with a card, to the extend DirecTV needs, the card should suffice.

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'll give my SS number to just about anyone that asks. I don't care. I was thinking about putting it in my signature.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Well this may be the way of the future, but I have not [nor would I want to] give out my SSN to PG&E, or any other utility for service.
    I can't even remember deposits being required in maybe 40 years, though I have been moving/transferring for the past 25 years.

19. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm very cautious about giving my SSN to anyone as well. And I haven't moved in years either, but with deregulation I change electric providers just about once a year. Most of them give you a good deal to sign up for a year and then raise rates your second year.

On your comment about credit cards, times have changed. You can now get prepaid credit cards and debit cards. You may have the funds to get started, and when they post the upfront money, your fine. Then when your monthly comes due and you are out of money, it will bounce just like a check. So by running a bureau they can check your actual credit worthiness.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you have one of those type cards, [again] maybe the credit check is needed. If on the otherhand, the card has "member since xxxx", it should be as good as a credit check [since it is a credit card with a limit]. Hell even my card payment might bounce one day soon. :eek2: