DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTV App for iPad v1.9.x: Issues/Discussion

12K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
DIRECTV App for iPad 1.9 is available in the App Store now and through updates on your device.

New features:
  • Beautiful HD graphics for the iPad 3 Retina display
  • Closed captioning support for DirecTV Everywhere and Live TV streaming
  • Optimized for iOS 6
  • Support for C31 receivers
Recently Added:
Now you can watch AUDIENCE NETWORK TV channel on your iPad whenever and wherever you want--at home or on the go. Go to the "Watch on iPad" tab located at the bottom right of the iPad app and select "Live TV" to start watching now.​

- Merg

#2 ·
Installed the new app 1.9.8 and it is unable to find any of my receivers. It does list all five of them by access card but tells you to verify connection to wifi network (that I used to download the new app)? It then wants you to look at settings. There it says you should tap blue arrow and follow instructions but there are no instructions.

:confused::confused:

#3 ·
Download fixed nothing till I did an uninstall and re-install then playlist works fine but I then needed to reset all of my prior customizations.

Available receiver list (Select Reciever List invoked lower left corner) may have been tweaked for those with the retina display, but for those of us souls not having that and having a receiver count >9 cannot select the LAST receiver. Window allows scroll down but pops back up to line above when finger is lifted. Unable to select that last receiver. Verifed its external connections were set to allow, even toggled them off and back on.

It is like the display memory construct boundary has a count one less than the the actual result set. It is visble but outside the boundary of the display/input control.

Also the release notes state C31 support but mine is a no show UPDATE when it is ON it shows, when off it does not.

Don "hello help desk? I'd like to submit a change request to make today Friday" Bolton

#8 ·
Issue: Updating Currently Watching When HR34 in Standby
Well, the issue of the Currently Watching stuck with the message of "Updating Currently Watching" is still there if the HR34 is in Standby Mode. I assume this issue has to do with the HR34 not holding onto a tuner when it is in Standby mode. As a test though, I told the HR34 to record something that was currently on TV via the iPad app. After closing the app and reloading it, I found that the iPad app could see what was on the HR34. In checking the HR34, the HR34 was now out of Standby Mode, however, the channel it was tuned to was not the same channel off show that I told it to record.

- Merg

#9 ·
Yep! That solved that issue and makes sense. Active tuners/devices leave a trail but this has nothing in queue when it is off.

Don "i'm leaning toward giant lizards with titanium Slinkys as the root cause" Bolton

Steve said:
Ya. My guess is when the C31s are "off", they're really off, not in standby, so they don't consume any HMC resources.

#10 ·
I am having problems with my Iphone 5 and my Iphone Mini DIRECTV app. It works fine for a while but then it loses connection to the DECA. If I unplug the DECA and plug it in again it works fine and I can stream live TV, but after 30 minutes or so I log back in and it can't find my receivers. I have a HR24 and 4 H25.

#11 ·
Set up to do some serious cooking this AM and connected the iPad to a Crosley dock/audio system for background. Normally I get audio from this connection in addition to keeping the iPad juiced up. I have a short cable that has the proper end combinations so I have use of my device despite it being docked. Eith the enhanced sound it makes a great kitchen viewing station.

No audio from the iPad app via the dock connector. I ended up using a stereo mini plug for the headphone out and the aux in on the Crosley which got the desired result but.

I tried my wife's iPad with the same result. ITunes music flowed normally upon connections requiring it be paused (there is no stop) but no iPad app audio on the 30 pin docking connector.

Tried volume changing, searching for a mute control, headphone out which worked as expected, but could not get the 30pin to produce audio. On either Ipad. One of which is a new re-install and the other a normal in place upgrade.

These are iPad 2 s. our iPhone4 devices work fine on the iPhone app upgrade.

Don "able to work around but a bit unexpected" Bolton

#12 ·
afulkerson said:
Installed the new app 1.9.8 and it is unable to find any of my receivers. It does list all five of them by access card but tells you to verify connection to wifi network (that I used to download the new app)? It then wants you to look at settings. There it says you should tap blue arrow and follow instructions but there are no instructions.

:confused::confused:
Same problem here. Had to manually enter IP addresses and validate them to get the receivers to show up.

#16 ·
Jnelson said:
Receivers recognized and all else working, but when I ask for Playlist it freezes on "Loading Playlist". Uninstall, re-install and playlist works until I leave app, then cycle starts again.
Are any of your receivers set to block playlist?

#18 ·
Issue: iPad App Will Not Validate IP Address of Receiver
Opened up the app and found that two of my receivers were not found by the app, to include my HR34-700. I had changed up some IP addresses recently, but the HR34 that was not found had never changed. I manually entered in the IP address of the receiver that had its IP address changed and it found it right away. When I enter in the IP address of the HR34 and hit Validate, it does nothing. The screen flashes and the button still says Validate and says "Invalid/No Receiver Found". Going back to the receiver list shows the HR34 as red as if it does not see it. I cannot get this resolved. My network does see the HR34 on my network and MRV works fine with the HR34.

- Merg

Attachments

#19 ·
I have intermittent luck with the iPad app and my HR34.

About half the time, it will not appear in the app. If I go to the settings page under the "cog" icon, no equipment is listed. If I visit that page when it does show up, then I get the stuff with the IP address, the validate button, etc. There is no place to type in an IP address during those times when it doesn't show up...which would seem like an ideal time to be able to specify an IP address and make the app poll that IP for a response.

When it does show up, I can successfully perform remote control operations and look at my playlist. What I CANNOT do, which I find really irritating, is schedule recordings. It always says unable to schedule. Likewise with using the DirecTV web site. I occasionally will spend some time looking for programs airing in the next several days, and it is a bit ridiculous to have to take notes and then come back and schedule them on the actual DVR instead of a couple of taps in the app to get it scheduled. What is causing this?

#20 ·
Just in the last two days this app has completely failed. I have the iPad 3 and it's always worked before. When I now launch the app I get the spinning wheel with the checking network connection. It just stays on that screen, the app doesn't actually launch. I've tried completely closing the app out, deleting the app and redownloading from the App Store, rebooting the iPad, all to the same result. The only thing that works is turning off wifi on the iPad ( I have the 3G/wifi iPad so still have an internet connection with wifi off ) then launching the app again. The app launches correctly with my info but of course it can't find any networked receivers since wifi is off. If I close the app to turn wifi on when I go back I get that checking network connection screen and the app doesn't launch.

Is anyone else having problems with this app? I also have the iPhone DTV app which works fine both on my phone and iPad so I can't figure out what the problem is.

#21 ·
pappasbike said:
Just in the last two days this app has completely failed. I have the iPad 3 and it's always worked before. When I now launch the app I get the spinning wheel with the checking network connection. It just stays on that screen, the app doesn't actually launch. I've tried completely closing the app out, deleting the app and redownloading from the App Store, rebooting the iPad, all to the same result. The only thing that works is turning off wifi on the iPad ( I have the 3G/wifi iPad so still have an internet connection with wifi off ) then launching the app again. The app launches correctly with my info but of course it can't find any networked receivers since wifi is off. If I close the app to turn wifi on when I go back I get that checking network connection screen and the app doesn't launch.

Is anyone else having problems with this app? I also have the iPhone DTV app which works fine both on my phone and iPad so I can't figure out what the problem is.
Same problem here................

#24 ·
"Jnelson" said:
and just like that, it's working again.
Right after posting my complaint I went back to check the app before leaving the house and it worked as well. Since you guys also had the issue I'm going to assume the problem was with DTV and not our iPads. It's very weird and confusing that there is no indication that there is an issue except that it just doesn't work. But then again why would mine launch when I turned wifi off? Totally confused but hoping that it will just continue to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.