1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV app for the iPhone.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Xzisted, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Xzisted

Xzisted Mentor

Feb 12, 2007
    Will DirecTV release an app to do scheduling from the iPhone. I know they have m.directv.com, but I still think that is a little rugged to use. Does anyone have any knowledge of any upcoming product?

Thanks,

X

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Have not heard anything.

Check my sig for an easy way to bookmark the online scheduler though ;)

3. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Godfather

Dec 6, 2005
    Probably after they build an app for mobile OS leaders Symbian, BlackBerry & WinMo. I'd be happy to write one if you want to paypal me some $$$ :sure:

Seriously though, I don't see how DTV can spend the money/resources in making a client based app when the web interface scales across all.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Without an API published by DIRECTV, the chances are vanishingly small to get any kind of third party scheduling application for any platform.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Very true. There really is no way for a 3rd party to interface with the online scheduling service as it exists right now and I do not see the iPhone as a huge priority for Directv with all the other things they are/can be working on and that have much broader consumer demand.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Personally, I've got a Blackberry .. I don't know of any upcoming product, but certainly a slick interface would be nice.

7. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    There really is no point since http://m.directv.com works well. A slick looking interface would be a plus but wouldn't make it any more functional.

8. JayB

JayB Legend

Mar 19, 2007
    Personally, I wouldn't say "works well", I'd say "works". By this I mean that it does get the job done but it is clearly a lowest common denominator product, designed to work on any mobile device - and it does achieve that. But the interface is somewhat, IMO, clunky and with a bit of work, D* (or whoever they contract their web development to) could make the pages browser aware and optimize the experience to the device and therefore make the service that much more attractive. It's my hope that what we're seeing here is the 1.0 product on the way to the 3.0 product that truly will be the application that does the job in an efficient and elegant manner.

9. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    There's a valid point. I agree that a standalone app is probably overkill, but making the page render correctly for each device, or at the very least, each screen resolution, would be great. ESPN is a good example of a site that does a fantastic job of rendering beautifully no matter which mobile device you use. The iPhone version of their site is downright cool.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    There's also the possibility that Apple would not allow such an application in their App Store as it may be considered competition for Apple TV.

11. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Interesting thought, but they do have a lot of music apps that compete more directly with iTunes/iPod than a DirecTV app would compete with Apple TV, like Pandora, AOL Radio, etc., to name a few.

12. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    I absolutely HATE the iPhone version of their site. It's a very limited subset of the regular ESPN site, and I can never find the content I want now. The whole point of having the iPhone's browser was that I could navigate the full sites and get to all the content.

CNN does this as well, along with some other sites, and I don't use them anymore on my phone.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is it possible that the problem lies with limitations of the iPhone and not the sites?

Can the iPhone spoof its browser ID?

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    You can always view the full version you know... there's a link at the bottom for "espn.com" that takes you to the unaltered version.

15. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Incidentally, does anyone know how I can get the receiver names changed at DirecTV. They did not take one that I retired off and since I have 2 in one room with the same name, it would be nice to be able to quickly tell them apart without looking at card numbers. Is it as simple as calling them? I imagine I will get a quizzical huh? from a standard CSR.

16. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Thanks! That was not there at first, and I see that CNN has also added an option. I am much happier now. :)

17. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Anytime. What works for some apparently doesn't work for others. I'd go nuts using the full version of their site on my iPhone. :grin:

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There is a thread about this somewhere.

You cannot configure the name.

19. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Dish customer is wrong again... you can. Login to your DirecTV account and go into the "My Setup" menu and then click on "Current Setup" and down the page where is lists your receivers there's a drop down list for you to rename your receivers.

20. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Say it isn't so!! :eek2: