1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV Application for iPhone: Wish List

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Stuart Sweet, Mar 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Please use this thread for specific suggestions on improvements and additions to the iPhone software. Other posts will be deleted.

DBSTalk's First Look can be found here.

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Will this be an application that can be added to the Microsoft mobil OS like for iPaq?

3. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    After using the Boxee remote app with my Apple TV and iPhone. It would be cool if I could use my iPhone's keyboard to do searches on my HR2x.

4. rizajj

rizajj Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Why can't we get the ability to control our reciever? I'd like to be able to tune to a channel I am browsing on the iPhone guide, without switching to the remote. It'd also be great to view what's currently stored on my DVR and tune to one of those programs.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I agree, a remote viewer of the playlist or guide would be a killer. (But I'd also like that on each MRV client.)

Even my $39 SMC Ezstream media player can see the playlist of all my DVRs!

Everything's networked and ready!

6. Maui

Maui Legend

Feb 16, 2009
    How about the ability to view the program on your iphone without using itunes or mrv to the iphone.:)

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Huh? What do you mean by "view the program without using itunes"? In terms of this app, iTunes is only required if you don't want to use the App Store app on the iPhone itself to install it.

8. Maui

Maui Legend

Feb 16, 2009
    I mean to watch the show directly on the iphone without buying it from itunes. If you know a way to this please speak up.

9. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    This app is not for buying programs on iTunes, it's for remotely viewing Guide info and scheduling programs to record to your DVRs.

As for watching programs on your iPhone, Slingplayer for the iPhone has apparently been submitted to the App Store for approval. I plan to download and use it extensively when it's approved.

10. king410

king410 New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    how about the ability to also pay your bill

11. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I'd vote for that. :) On the other hand, Mobile Safari on the iPhone DOES work to access and pay your account already, but I grant you a dedicated Directv App would make that process a bit less cumbersome and probably faster.

12. king410

king410 New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    This is very true. what are the chances that this could happen.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Another vote for controlling my DVR over the network. That would be very cool.

14. hmss007

hmss007 AllStar

Aug 12, 2006
    Here's a list of features that would be great to see in future versions.

* Ability to manage recordings. This would include the To Do list, Prioritizer, etc.

* See "My Playlist" for the DVR. This would help in knowing what had been recorded and know whether to record it.

* Handle conflicts, when you select a show to record and you select the DVR to record it to; would be nice to have the same options to select which recordings to potentially cancel if two shows are already scheduled to record at the same time). Maybe suggest a different DVR to use that doesn't have the conflict.

* Have the ability to scan all your DVRs and let you know if a selected show is already going to be recorded.

* Use as a remote for the DVR. Similar to how the Apple Remote iPhone application works.

* Watch recorded shows on the iPhone.

Thanks,
    hmss007

15. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Great list. I'd like to be able to do all of the above as well.

16. bledsoe812

bledsoe812 New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    I would really like more actual interaction with my receiver. I would like to be able to see my recordings (not actually watch them - just see the list) and perform basic tasks like deleting, marking recordings to keep, etc. Also, I much needed feature is to be able to manage the full prioritizer list from the app. Everything looks great tho. I'm really excited for this app as it stands, so any improvements will make it that much more appealing.

17. azcoyote85044

azcoyote85044 Cool Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I'd like the ability to bring up my dvr's To Do List with the iPhone app and extend a recording already in progress. This would be a great feature to have for sporting events where the actual end time could end up being well past what's listed in the guide. There have been quite a few times where I've had an incomplete recording a of sporting event because the game went into extra innings or overtime and wasn't home to adjust the dvr's recording stop time. It would be a lifesaver if the iPhone app could let me do this!

edit: someone in the other thread for the iphone app brought up an obvious solution to the sporting event scenario. Just use the iphone app to record the show scheduled to come on after the game.

18. OconRecon

OconRecon AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    I agree with the list above for this app in its 2.0 release.

However, I have to give props to this 1.0 initial release. It is gorgeous, snappy, and I find much easier to use than the web app. Kudos to D* for a clean, simple, and elegant first go at it.

Does anyone else feel this is easier and faster than using the D* remote control? I think I may use this thing sitting in from of my TV even. Plain faster as Apple's UI is just better. Just recorded a movie on HBO and I could go to the channel really quickly using the vertical alphabet on the R side of the screen. And scanning through future HD movies to record MUCH faster than using the guide. Just a flick of the thumb.

Fantastic.

Has anyone hit a bug yet? Had it crash? I haven't so far. Time will tell.

19. sundude90

sundude90 Legend

Jun 12, 2008
    A few things I would like to see:

- The ability to see your playlist & to-do list so you know what recorded and so you know if there is any conflicts.
    - I also would like to be able to watch recorded shows from my playlist, like Directv2PC or Sling.
    - Remote Control Capabilities would be very nice, for when I loose the remote in the couch or something.

20. mattmill

mattmill Legend

Aug 10, 2002
    Like the above suggestions but would ad the ability to limit channels ( favorites list) to cut out ones you never watch (kids, shopping, etc). Keep up the great work.

matt