1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

directv approved method of using two swm16's is not working for me

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mitchrm, May 14, 2018.

1. mitchrm

mitchrm New Member

May 11, 2018
    Ive tried the method of using two swm16 multiswitches and it does not work for me. The method i followed is on solid signals site. Has something changed with the multiswitches that they can not be connected this way anymore? I wanted to use the two multiswitch method so i could use four 4 way splitters instead of two 8 way splitters. Any suggestions?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What isn't working? Specifics help best. What errors or screens are you seeing? Are some working and others not?

What equipment do you have and where (on your splitters) are they attached?

Quite a few people here have used the double SWM16s as shown on SolidSignal's site.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's time to get rid of old technology and totally discard your obsolete SWM16s

install new Gen2 DLNB instead

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Without knowing how many receivers the TS has, your "advice" is premature.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You must read TS first post to avoid misfiring :duh!
    He have up to 16 [max] lines

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Who cares about the number of lines? I'd like to know how many tuners he has, hence my questions about his equipment. "Up to 16 (max)" isn't precise and isn't useful information.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    then you are barking on wrong tree

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    get full info from TS first, then attack me again

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Exactly what I requested in post #2.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Time To Idle.

11. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Depends on line lengths and service numbers. A twin 16 provides 4 outs the new improved units only 2.

I run 12 service drops off dual sixteens with line lengths out to over 190ft.

DECA strength only strong enough for the shortest 8 so I bridge hardwired switched Ethernet to DECA and it is transparent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    One thing about the duplexers is you have to pay attention to the frequency flow. Using them to bridge two SWMS the proper connection flow seems upside down. Easy to mess up.

You want the sat band side of the top connected to your SWM out and the OTA band side connected to your DECA to Ethernet conversion switch/splitter. The single connection on the diplexer runs to the receivers splitter. Logically it looks upside down. It ain’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. mitchrm

mitchrm New Member

May 11, 2018
    The setup i have is installed is at my parents motel. What i have is a slimline5 lnb with about an 8 foot run to a swm16. From there i use both swm outputs that go to one 8 way splitter each. There are 9 h25 recievers and 2 h23 recievers hooked up. Longest run is about 200 ft. Recently we have been encountering problems with signal loss, not communicating with swm, and pixelating. Right now it turns out the problem was that the swm16 was bad. I changed it out and it seems better so far. But.... my goal was to eliminate the 8 way splitters and use 2 swm16s with four 4 way splitters to help improve signal loss due to the 8 way splitters. The problem i had was when they were both hooked up it seemed they interfered with each other, the pixelation and problems stated above was much worse. Sat signals dropped and a lot of zeros were showing up. It was hooked up just like the solid signal paper stated. I have a picture of the setup with both swm16 hooked up trying it with the 8 ways splitters. i can post it if it helps. I had the 4 way splitters on order at the time but both ways gave the same results. It is a motel run with the dish and multiswitch at one end and individual lines to each room. It was installed this way before swm was out, with an older zinwell multiswitch, that didnt give us much trouble.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Damn ! Just one tuner exceeding the DLNB Gen2 limitation (21 tuner + 1 network)...
    Sure, post it here.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Actually, since those are H units. 1 tuner each. 11 total.

So I don't know if you really need to use 2 SWM16s.

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Using two SWM16s to compensate for splitter loss is a BAD idea. Fix the real problem, instead of trading it for a setup where there are more things to potentially go wrong.

There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to run 8 ways off a SWM16 output up to 200 feet - more than that in fact - unless the cable is of low quality or damaged. Since you have 11 receivers total, how about putting the 8 with the shortest runs on one 8 way, and the longest three on a 4 way?

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    We clearly disagree over the bold text above.

The output of the SWiM limits the loss budget to ≈ 30 dB
    At the higher frequencies an 8-way = 14 dB & 200' of RG6 = 17 dB < this doesn't have any "room" left.

To the OP: changing out ab 8-way for a 4-way is a mere 3 dB gain.

Relocation the dish to the middle of the structure and thus reducing the line length might be a better option.

18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  19. mitchrm

mitchrm New Member

May 11, 2018
    moving the dish is not a very good option for me. Its located with the clearest path in the sky, and also the motel hook ups are in one direction and a cabin is about 200 feet in the other. So its located in the middle of the two longest runs. So swapping over to the 4 ways will not help much im understanding and the single swm16 is working fine now with the 8 way splitters. I been interested in the line amp and havent researched them in any detail yet. Its the times when there is a problem the first thing i question is how much wiggle room do i really have with my setup and the long runs. My recent issues were with all the recievers, problem was moving around to all of them, also with channel changing and sounds from different channel being mixed in. I didnt witness this my self but it was reported. I will call my folks tonight to see if they are having any issues with the new swm16 i changed out.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would definitely get rid of both SWM16 and install DLNB Gen2 LNB !