DirecTV as TV Provider does not work with Fire Stick

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by su_A_ve, Mar 28, 2020.

1. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Some Fire Stick apps are using the built-in browser to authenticate with TV Providers.

ABC and NBC are doing this, and it just doesn't work when selecting DirecTV as the provider.

Other apps like FoxNow present you an alphanumeric code and QR code so you can use your phone to do the authentication - this works fine.

Tried talking to Amazon, ABC and NBC and DirecTV but getting nowhere.

Anyone with any ideas??

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I have all the NBC channels on my Fire tv. Used to watch NBCSN several times per week for hockey. And if I remember correctly, once I authenticated on NBC channel, the rest were also authenticated.

3. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I’m able to authenticate with NBC channels but not CNN. (On the fire stick.)

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    CNN starts a 10 preview and then asks you to register/verify your provider. OR you can press and hold your OK button to validate now. I just did that on my office FireTV and I selected DIRECTV as the provider, and it verified w/o me doing anything else. Watching CNN right now.

5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    It used to work on the older gen 1 stick. Got a new 4K one just now. Updated it and downloaded the apps. Selected Directv as the provider and it goes to a white screen and comes back to the select provider screen no matter what. This was in both NBC and ABC.

FoxNow gives me the QR code. Go on my phone and it activated it no problem.

I then used my phone's hotspot to connect (as sometimes providers cache your internet connection). This time, I was directed to a Directv sign in screen, but password (even though correct) would not work. The screen does not mention AT&T at all. Only Directv which seems it's an old page and probably no longer works.

I think the problem is with the API Amazon is using for these apps. And it's broken...

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    All our Fire TVs are 4Ks (and my daughter has the Fire tv cube). They all work. And they all say DIRECTV as that is still their name.

7. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Looks like the problem is with new authentications. One of them is still authenticated on both ABC and NBC. Another one is still authorized by ABC, but not NBC and cannot get it to work at all. This was working before and I was trying to test Xfinity authentication, so I had unlinked Directv. The third one (new one) cannot authenticate with neither one.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'll try my outside FireTv later tonight. It doesn't have NBC or ABC on it, so it will be a 'clean' install. But we have five FireTvs (and 4 Rokus) and haven't had any problems using DIRECTV as our provider.